PDA

View Full Version : 250r steering shaft

sly400ex
01-07-2003, 12:12 PM
I'm having some problems getting it out. I'm wanting to replace all the bearings and bushings involved but I can't get the thing out at the bottom. I have the cotter pin out, bolt off, but it won't pull up and out. Is there a circlip on top or in there somewhere? Any help is appreciated!;)

nuttynewt
01-07-2003, 01:45 PM
Once you take the cotter pin out of the shaft and get the nut off, the steering stem should come out. If not, turn your nut over so the flange side is down and screw it back on halfway, then tap it (or whack it if it's really stuck). Odds are your bearing is seized to the shaft.

Once you get the shaft out, there is a circlip that holds the bearing in place. It is located under the top dust seal. Sometimes it can be stuck a little if it's all rusted up and dirty in there.

Good luck!

nuttynewt
01-07-2003, 01:48 PM
By the way; when putting a new bearing in, only hit it on the OUTER race. It is best to use a socket about the size of the OD of the bearing and tap it in with a rubber mallet or a soft faced hammer. If you hit the inner race, you will screw up your new bearing.

sly400ex
01-07-2003, 03:25 PM
thx for your help nutty!!!