PDA

View Full Version : rear beake pad install

smorris1
07-13-2009, 09:12 PM
I have the piston pushed all the way in and the pads still wont slide over. For some reason the caliper bracket has two raised bumps that are hitting the rotor and wont let me slide the pads over it. I did notice my rear pads didnt have that thin metal backing plate but idk if that has anything to do with it. Does anyone know whats wrong?

RIDEREDson
07-14-2009, 04:48 AM
Mine did the same. I stuck a flat head screw driver in between and pushed on the brake pads till they were barely over the rotor. Then I hit it the caliper with a rubber mallet and they popped right into place.

smorris1
07-14-2009, 10:20 PM
alright so i forced them on and went for like a 5 minute ride. I could barely push the bike the brakes were rubbing so bad in the rear. The caliper and everything got soooo hot. I think the pads are too thick or something. They are EBC severe duty pads. I put the stock ones back in and it was fine. Does the EBC's run REALLY thick?

Metrickid
03-25-2010, 11:48 AM
Im having this exact same problem, bought new pads (Tusk) and when i slide them into the caliper there is no room for the rotor. After reading this forum i see that maybe i should have went with some severe duties, but ill do that next time i replace them since i bought these ones already.

Basically, once the pads are back in the caliper they are touching each other and so tight there is no room for the rotor.....

Any help?

CJM
03-25-2010, 11:53 AM
Same problem too and so far no answer how to correct it and I searched.

I did find lubing the pins may help, but I havent had a chance yet.

My rear brake is dragging right now and its a new caliper, line and pads and no parking brake.

Scro
03-25-2010, 11:55 AM
On my 450, they have always been tight going back in. I just ride, and eventually they will wear down to where there is a little clearance. I've never felt to see how hot it's gotten, but it never has given me any trouble.

I've heard of people sanding aftermarket pads down because they were too thick, but I've never tried it. If you do, make sure you sand them down evenly. You don't want any high spots touching the rotor.

Pabst_Powered
03-25-2010, 12:10 PM
when I replaced mine I had the same problem, I ended up taking the grinder to them, just alittle bit and yes make sure to grind the pads evenly, worked out fine and hav'nt had any problems

slightlybent47
03-25-2010, 12:28 PM
Make sure the piston is all the way in. I use a socket and a large channel locks and push it all the way down.
I think some pads are thicker then others. Check the thickness with a dial caliper and see if they are thicker.
Spray a little wd40 on the piston to help lube it when you push it in. run it in and out a few times and then put the pads on.
I have a aftermarket break disk that is only 0.003 thicker then the stock one and it is too tight for mine. so it wont take much to be over sized.
Look on the disk and you will see a slight raised area around the out side edge where the pad doesn’t touch. As the dick wears it will get thinner over time. Grind off a spot where it’s raised up and it will make it easer to slip the pads over that little raised spot on the outside edge.
If you have to force them on then there too tight.
I use genuine Honda pads and I have no problem with them.

big_poppa49
03-25-2010, 12:36 PM
I always took a large C-clamp and run that sucker all the way in. I have probably put rear pads on 4 times, never had a problem!!

Metrickid
03-25-2010, 12:39 PM
I've used WD40 on it, the piston is ALL the way in the caliper, i ran a C clamp down on it and it is all the way back in. Must just be overly big pads, I think ill try the grinder idea tonight.

mjc400ex
03-25-2010, 01:42 PM
I had the same problem with pads from hellbound racing (no idea what brand they really are).

I sanded down the pads with a disc sander as even as I could by hand.
They fit eventually and they work fine now.
I'm able to lock up the back wheels on asphalt.

3or4HONDA
03-26-2010, 11:14 AM
just did the pads on my 04 last night and had a problem until i took the parking brake off. then the piston would go in farther and their was enough room. then had to just adjust the parking brake bolt and it was all good.

slightlybent47
03-26-2010, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by 3or4HONDA
just did the pads on my 04 last night and had a problem until i took the parking brake off. then the piston would go in farther and their was enough room. then had to just adjust the parking brake bolt and it was all good.

Good point
I was going to suggest that. I had to back my park break adjuster bolt to get a set on one time.
I’ve since taken the park break cable off and i have no problem now.

CJM
03-26-2010, 03:52 PM
FWIW mine kept dragging. I took the caliper off and lubed the pins with some brake lubricant and no more issues.

Since mine is a brand new caliper and pads I had kinda figured it but lubing them eliminated all rubbing. Cant say the same for everyone, YMMV