PDA

View Full Version : Engine noise

SilverLake250R
07-13-2009, 08:16 PM
Does anyone have some slight engine noise? I'm asking because the cause of my most recent engine failure was the bottom of the cylinder sleeve on the intake side cracked off and destroyed my crank. Luckily that was all it took out, but I'm worried about the noise causing excess vibration and ultimately causing the failure. Last year my lower rod bearing went and destroyed everything. The same noise was present before and after the rebuild, and I can't figure out what is the cause. I split the cases and checked every bearing.....all seem really tight.....especially the mains...I replaced them last winter and have maybe 40 hours on them so I dont think I will even replace them. Please let me know if this is normal, or where to look for the cause......I did notice the noise gets louder when the clutch is released while in neutral, making me think maybe a transmission bearing, but these all seem fine...... Thanks

Honda 250r 001
07-13-2009, 09:15 PM
i believe its piston chatter, all 250rs have them at idle.

86 Quad R
07-14-2009, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Honda 250r 001
i believe its piston chatter, all 250rs have them at idle.

this is true but if its the chattering sound that i think it is and based on the desription given, you could be experiencing clutch chatter. this is usually caused by excessive tolerances, either on the basket, innder hub, inner basket bearing or a combination of all.

SilverLake250R
07-14-2009, 11:41 AM
thanks, I replaced my inner hub, and the bearing seems fine, but there is definitely wear on the basket. That makes me feel much better knowing what it is, but if anyone has a good basket at a reasonable price, let me know!

86 Quad R
07-14-2009, 12:32 PM
motosport once carried a P/E(performance engineering) at a price that beat all others and are billet but after checking a few minutes ago, no longer do. try direct............. P/E (http://www.peracing.com/products/clutbask.html)

Honda 250r 001
07-14-2009, 12:57 PM
i believe ebay has em for like 160 bucks new. pe is a good brand imo.