PDA

View Full Version : 04 or 06 YFZ? What to buy? Help

Bulletracn
07-13-2009, 07:07 PM
I have been out of touch with the big quad seen for a few years. Been supporting my kids in the mini quad and doing my thing with the two wheeler. My question is this. What one would be better in the, mechanically,dependability, and ride ability categories? the 04,06 yfz or the honda 450.
Has anyone heard of shortening the sub frame on the yfz for motocross? Iv'e seen it done on bikes but didn't know they did it on quads for Mx. I could see maybe TT,or Flat track. the reason I ask is because the 06 said he had done it and had to cut the corner of the air box so it wouldn't hit the chain and sprocket. Thanks

Bulletracn
07-14-2009, 06:51 AM
never mind, after reading 2 hrs worth of posts I think I made up my mind. Just hope the sub frame mod doesn't bite me in the butt

yfzrider690
07-14-2009, 11:12 AM
If you are gonna get a yfz I would get a '07 or newer. They have the oil mod and that is the year that they made the most changes to the yfz. Check out yfzcentral.com if you wanna read up on the differences in years on the yfz. I would get a yfz over a honda. My buddy has one and it just feels funny compared to my yfz, they sit to high.

stic
07-14-2009, 09:43 PM
couple things to consider....the 04-06 did have an issue with the oil gettin to the wristpin.a 200$ mod from jtatv will remedy this.the 06 had weak splines on the sprocket side of the axle.i found an 07 oem axle on ebay for 35$ brand new.i have no issues now.
i too dont like the feel of the 450r.both are wired and want to be run hard.no puttin around on either of these machines.the fcr carb has a nasty bog.read up on that as well.

Bulletracn
07-15-2009, 06:50 AM
Thanks guys for the replies. The 06 that I am looking at has a major bog off Idle. I'm pretty sure this can be taking care of with Jetting. My other concern is that the sub frame is broken at the cross member were the seat hooks to. Is this a common thing and are there after market sub frames that are bullet proof?

stic
07-15-2009, 02:03 PM
if the subframe is broken...im guessin that the quad was wrecked.id look it over very good to see if theres any other damage.my dirtbike had a broken subframe (aluminum)and i had a guy weld and gussett it.35$ and its stronger than it was.the subframes arent cheap.if you can fix it,go for it.if not,id look elsewhere.
all fcr carbs have some bog off idle.some worse than others.tune the bike(jetting),do the zip-tie/o-ring mod,replace the leak jet with a 35 and youll notice a defininte improvement.youll prob not get rid of it all but youll take care of 98% of it.then rest you can learn to live with.i even added a quickshot2 and my bikes bog is almost nonexistent.or,ive learned how to compensate.

trx400 rider
07-15-2009, 08:49 PM
do 07 have the bog to

BrettOaktree
07-15-2009, 10:21 PM
yes they all do 04-09 im not sure about the yfzr cuz i havent ridden one yet

Quadevil
07-15-2009, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by BrettOaktree
yes they all do 04-09 im not sure about the yfzr cuz i havent ridden one yet

People who has yfzR's say it has the bog despite being fuel injected.

Bulletracn
07-15-2009, 11:11 PM
I have bent a few bike sub frames racing/crashing. Those aren't to costly to replace. These quads are a different story. Thanks for the info on the jetting. This is not a bog. This is a stall if you wick the throttle. I am thankful for my fuel injected Kx. The zip ty mod... is that the mod to the accelerater pump spring. Like the bikes. Is that also from Zip ty? ( Ty Davis)

stic
07-16-2009, 09:49 AM
http://www.bluetraxx.com/forums/yamaha-yfz450-450r-2004-present/72484-bog-zip-tie-o-ring-mod-you.html
the bog/stall is exactly what people are referring to.when you stab the throttle off idle,the quad wants to die(or does).i did the mod,the #35 leak jet and the quickshot2 ap cover and i cannot make mine bog at all(i dunno if the qs2 has anything to do with it but...its there and im sure it cant hurt)this makes me very happy cuz at one point i was ready to dump this thing cuz i was gettin so pissed.
i cant for the life of me figure out how the crossmember of the subframe got broke without any other damage to the bike.i believe its aluminum?it can surely be welded and gussetted i imagine.my subframe for my old rm250x was like 400$ so i guess we have a different idea on "costly".

Bulletracn
07-16-2009, 10:10 AM
that sub frame would be what I consider "costly as well. My 02 YZ 250F was like 15O for an aftermarket. I would hate to have to buy one for my 09 kx 450. I'm pretty sure the QS2 helps with the bog. The bikes had the same thing and thats what they were designed to fix. There is a fix for the accelerator pump that you can do that don't cost anything that will reduce the bog as well. I will buy a stock sub frame from e-bay and gusset it up before putting it on.

stic
07-16-2009, 08:49 PM
i agree that they were designed to fix this prob but whether they do or not.......
mine still bogged(not as bad)but it was def there even after the qs2 install.what fixed it for me was the zip-tie mod.its all about ap timing and gettin all the components to work in sync.i couldnt be happier now.

Bulletracn
07-16-2009, 10:28 PM
Sweet I'm glad you found a fix. I will go to zip ty and find the part now. Thanks for all the info

stic
07-17-2009, 09:46 AM
no prob man.any other questions...pm me.
peace