PDA

View Full Version : First post and first 400ex

RNL
07-13-2009, 06:11 PM
Hello everyone, I am new to this site and to the 400ex. I just bought a 400ex today used and I have a few questions. First, when it's idling it seems to be idling fast, and one time when I turned it off it backfired a lil bit. Any ideas why this is and whats the fix? Secondly, my front shocks squeak alot, anyone got a fix for this? thanks.

Sinister95Z
07-13-2009, 06:21 PM
Welcome to the site!

As with any machine you buy used, I find it very important to do a very detailed clean and tune up. It sounds like this might cure your problem. Change the oil and filter, clean the oil line screen, clean or replace the air filter, replace old gas, grease all the bushings, tie rods, bearings and ball joints.

The one major thing that will more than likely solve your issue is a good carb clean. Take off the carb, open it up and clean it very well. Look for clogs and build up. When a machine is used, alot of the time it has aftermarket parts installed. If this is the case with your machine, you need to properly jet the carb. Do a search on this site to help you out with a good starting point on jetting.

buster024
07-13-2009, 06:39 PM
Welcome to the site, and congrats on post #1. If your springs are squeaky, there's not much you can do. Are you sure it is your supsension, and not your ball joints, or your steering stem? Those can be greased, and will decrease the noise. As far as the backfire, it typically means you are not jetted correctly. There's a great thread at the top of the 400ex forum by ZRPILOT, on how to jet your bike, as well as about 10,000 other jetting threads somewhere in these forums.

Sinister95z said it right though. Get a Clymer manual, or a Honda service manual (I like the Clymer, but have never had an official Honda one). Take the carb apart and clean it well. Check what jets are in there. Check the needle setting, and the fuel screw mixture. What type of air filter does it have? What modifications are on it? Post pics! Look here (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=251981) for how to post pics if you can't figure it out, and don't ever be afraid to ask questions! We've all been newbs sometime!

Ba9801
07-13-2009, 08:48 PM
Welcome to the site. I am also fairly new here and everyone has been extremely helpful. I agree with the last 2 reply's. Definitely check your carb first, as gas sits it will vanish and clog things up, also sediment can develop in the carb bowl and cause problems. And as said before be sure to change the oil & filter with non moly based oil. Moly is bad for the clutches. What year is the bike? I posted a link to a service manual for 1999-2002, will be the same up to 2004.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/wcy9is

Lots of luck with it
:)

RNL
07-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Ok just an update. While riding today when I pulled in the clutch it was not idling down at all. In fact when I was in second I could let off the gas completely and it was like I had cruise control because it just kept the rpms up and chugged along. I adjusted the idle screw counterclockwise about a turn and a half which brought the idle speed down to where it's suppose to be. So hopefully thats all it was. The quad is all stcok except a Uni air filter.

My overall impression of this quad is summed up in a word........SMOOTH. Everything is mooth, the power, the handling, everything. Not the fastest quad I've owned but I like it alot.

05trx300ex
07-15-2009, 07:40 PM
If you don't mind me asking, what year is it and how much did you pay? Just wondering how much 400ex's are going for here in Michigan.

RNL
07-16-2009, 06:31 AM
It's a 2003 and I paid $2000 for it, it's in excellent condition. Where abouts in Michigan are you?

bbender85
07-16-2009, 09:36 AM
here on the west side of the state they've been going for 1800-2200 on average for '04 and older, obviously theres some beat up ones for cheap, and some people who want gold for others.

anyways, your squeak is probably your lower shock mounts. all three EX's i've dealt with have done exactly that. just shoot some WD-40 on them, and it will go away... for awhile, haha.

have fun with it! get it to the dunes! :cool:

05trx300ex
07-16-2009, 09:39 AM
Imlay City area.

RNL
07-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by bbender85
here on the west side of the state they've been going for 1800-2200 on average for '04 and older, obviously theres some beat up ones for cheap, and some people who want gold for others.

anyways, your squeak is probably your lower shock mounts. all three EX's i've dealt with have done exactly that. just shoot some WD-40 on them, and it will go away... for awhile, haha.

have fun with it! get it to the dunes! :cool:

Man I've been looking for a quad since May after I sold my last Blaster. Like you said there are some real beat ones out there. I was lucky to find one in great shape. It was owned by a guy who was 50 plus, and had a bad knee. he said he was more of a dirtbike guy, but when he messed up his knee he thought a quad might be better. All he did is putt around at their cabin with it. Thanks for the advice on the WD, I'll try it out.

And yes the dunes are on the to do list for sure!!!

RNL
07-16-2009, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by 05trx300ex
Imlay City area.

There was a 2003 or 2004 for $1995 on Craigslist the other day, looked pretty nice. Had a pipe and nerfs. Check the flint and Detroit metro for the ad, I believe it was near Imalay City actually.