PDA

View Full Version : FST Oil Cooler

timp224
07-13-2009, 04:37 PM
I purchased a Fst oil cooler and im not sure how to install the the oil passage for the clutch side. The directions they sent suck! Does anyone have the oil cooler who can help to explain how im supposed to install it?

honda400ex2003
07-13-2009, 04:38 PM
Thank you for starting a new one and please go in and edit your other post to delete it. Otherwise you should be able to find some really good posts on here with some install sections I will look too real quick to see if i can find some good ones. steve

honda400ex2003
07-13-2009, 04:45 PM
This one is pretty good.

http://atv.off-road.com/atv/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=191530

check it out and see if it helps you out any. steve

dariusld
07-13-2009, 05:21 PM
Homemade directions (http://webpages.charter.net/tandrus4700/400exCoolerMod.pdf)

bigbad400
07-14-2009, 12:27 AM
do you have to drill and tap your case to go to a bigger oil cooler? i dont want 2 i just want a bigger one... and i dont want a hole in my case. couldnt i just use a different one thats slightly bigger and run it to the stock lines and get the same affect... only without the extra to the valves, but i dont have a 440 nor do i plan to, ill just buy a 450 if it comes to that.

RIDEREDson
07-14-2009, 04:42 AM
All that is a little extreme, I always thought. Why don't someone just make a bigger oil cooler that replaces the stock one? The world will never know.

dariusld
07-14-2009, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by RIDEREDson
All that is a little extreme, I always thought. Why don't someone just make a bigger oil cooler that replaces the stock one? The world will never know.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dunlap
[B By the time the oil goes through all the gears,cases,oil pump ect. the oil is back up to its highest temp. again before it gets to the place it needs to be 50* cooler, the head. Cooling the head with that 50* cooler oil is the best thing you can do for a RFVC type motor. You will not have to harden your rockers,the valves,valve springs and valve seats will last longer and the valves will seal better, making more power at the same time. Each motor has its high wear areas. Most of the Hondas its the rockers,Yamaha warriors is the bottom end rod bearing. As an motor builder I see what fails first and then build a cooling system that takes care of the problem. Its doesn't hurt to cool the oil the way they do its just not the best. [/B][/QUOTE

Claas900
07-14-2009, 12:00 PM
At one time someone did make a larger cooler in place of the stock one. I've also seen some ppl using one off a street bike not sure witch one but it is larger then a stock one.
The FST is the best way to go IMO. A larger tank really only adds more oil,but it too will heat up after a wile, not a bad thing just not the greatest. I think a larger stock oil cooler is better then a larger oil tank.
But the FST adds more oil and puts that cooler oil in one of the hottest parts of the motor the head. And built RFVC do make more heat and do start to go threw valve stem seals and will start to burn oil. So the FST makes the most scents.

RIDEREDson
07-14-2009, 12:37 PM
But it looks like a hassle to install

Claas900
07-14-2009, 02:50 PM
It just takes very little know how,some common scents and some time. Sometimes the best things aren't just a bolt on so.
If you can change axle bearing or adjust valves I'd say you could do this. It really is nothing more then drilling and taping some holes. The rest is basic install.
On a scale of 1 to 5, 5 being the hardest this is 3 id say. Maybe even a 2.5.
Really all its doing is piping into the oil line/vain that feeds the head and diverting it the oil cooler.

Pipeless416
07-14-2009, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by RIDEREDson
But it looks like a hassle to install

its not for everybody, but it really does wonders for a built engine. between the FST cooler and the SPAL fan, i have zero heat fade on a long ride.