PDA

View Full Version : 8 plate setup for 400ex

01-07-2003, 11:11 AM
For those of you running this,,what all came with the kit??

How did your stock basket and pressure plate look when you did this upgrade.. I'm tryin to figure out if I can get buy with just the plates and springs or if I'm gonna need more..:confused:

Mxbubs
01-07-2003, 11:57 AM
If you get the hinson inner and outer hub, I believe you have to use the hinson basket. The setup I bought straight from hinson was the basket, inner and outer hub, steel and fiber plates, springs and bolts. Cost around 950$, but well worth it.

01-07-2003, 12:40 PM
Well I won't be giving hinson my first born son for his clutch setup...:D

The setup I'm speakin of is the sparks, GT thunder, FDO 8 plate setup for around $140. sparks is the plates and springs,,,but then GT thunder has this but also has few other bells and whistles thrown in there too...what I don't wanna do is tear into the mofo to find out I need a new pressure plate,,I think my basket will be OK..

Evan
01-07-2003, 01:16 PM
Comes with everything on the left side of this pic. Steel plates, springs and fibers. $139 from sparks, well worth the money. Slightly stiffer clutch pull nothing to cry about. Excellent hook up, no more lookin at your tires and they are not spinin but ur motor is revvin. You need nothing else for this kit, very easy to install, takes about 30 mins depending on how skilled u are. I used my stock basket, it looked fine, same with hub. Any more ??s

01-07-2003, 01:41 PM
Thanks fer the info Evan,,you pretty much got me squared away..guess I better get on the horn and order it...:o

Sparks425Ex
01-07-2003, 02:04 PM
Rico What kind are you going to go with?

I recommend Sparks. It has held up great for me so far.

Racer over 40
01-07-2003, 08:14 PM
Does anyone know what plates are being used in the Sparks 8 plate kit? Are they a mixture of OEM 250R plates and another Honda model? I know that you do not have to do any mods to the clutch assembley. So this makes me think that they are OEM Honda plates. Maybe we can save some coin and buy them our local dealer. Just my .02 cents!

hondaracer31
01-08-2003, 06:56 AM
I bought the Hinson kit and it uses 250r fibers and 400ex steel plates. Not sure but that's probly what all the other kit use. I needed the whole clutch assy, a 440 stroker tears up stock parts.:mad:

oynot400
01-08-2003, 08:28 AM
Rico,
I wish I had a digital camera to show you what FDO did for me. First off I went to my Honda dealer and bought the 250r fibers and 300ex steels. I get a real good discount from them other wise I would of gotten them from Mike. Then I sent him my outer pressure plate and the sleeve that the basket rides on. He machined down the pressure plate, I am not sure how much. Then he cut oil grooves in the sleeve to help with lubracation. It is not a real big job and I am sure if you call Mike he will get you a real quick turn around on it. Be sure to tell him that I sent you. ;)
FDO 740-967-1078. You may want to ask him about a 463 or 493 kit while you have him on the phone. :devil I know you will like it. :rolleyes:

Dave400ex
01-08-2003, 01:57 PM
I emailed Sparks about it and he said that some times you won't need a Basket or anything else it will be ok to use with all the other parts depending on how old your quad is and how you ride. He said getting the Basket isn't a bad idea though.

B@ckBoneBelgium
01-08-2003, 02:19 PM
Ok, that settles it , I emailed Sparks 3 times already in 3 weeks with the same question and no reply yet :grr :grr

Is this the right adress ? info@sparksracing.com ?

I hate to say , but if the email adress is correct , he has done with me . I am getting pissed off . Is it because I live in belgium , that he will no do the effort to say : " oh , sorry whe dont ship outside the us ?" :confused: :confused:

just to let my anger free ....

Kenny

Mxbubs
01-08-2003, 03:54 PM
Ba-da-bing, Ba-da-boom!

forum
01-08-2003, 03:59 PM
Backbone, Call him. many dealers don't like dealing over the internet. or they just don't check there email. Call him before you give up.

Predator36
01-08-2003, 04:02 PM
You can run the 8 plate clutch setup without the pressure plate being machined but the tolerances are closer to stock if .020 is machined from the stock pressure plate.

The clutch basket has a metal plate on the back that holds the springs in place. Where the springs contact this plate is also where the plate was bent when it was stamped. This is a week area and I have seen two of these plates break sending shrapnel thru the engine. I replace my basket once a year. The bad part is that this metal stamped piece does not come with a new Hinson basket and the only way to get a new one is if you buy a new basket from Honda.

Mxbubs
01-08-2003, 04:05 PM
"This is a week area and I have seen two of these plates break sending shrapnel thru the engine. I replace my basket once a year. The bad part is that this metal stamped piece does not come with a new Hinson basket and the only way to get a new one is if you buy a new basket from Honda."

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about.

Dave400ex
01-08-2003, 05:10 PM
So your saying with a setup like the Sparks you should get a Clutch Basket, but the Pressure Plate is ok stock?

oregonrider89
02-23-2003, 04:21 PM
bump

JhallettEX
02-23-2003, 06:58 PM
I went with the Sparks 8 plate setup from C&D, I even had Colby install it for me so it was done right.

The first time I put a Barnett in it and it only lasted a few months. Maybe it was b/c of the installer?

Steve-o 400EX
02-23-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by B@ckBoneBelgium
Ok, that settles it , I emailed Sparks 3 times already in 3 weeks with the same question and no reply yet :grr :grr

Is this the right adress ? info@sparksracing.com ?

I hate to say , but if the email adress is correct , he has done with me . I am getting pissed off . Is it because I live in belgium , that he will no do the effort to say : " oh , sorry whe dont ship outside the us ?" :confused: :confused:

just to let my anger free ....

Kenny

Yea I tried e-mailing those freaks a couple times and no reply either.:mad: :mad: :grr

02-23-2003, 10:37 PM
How much more run time are you getting from the high dollar set ups over just replacing the stock fibers? Is it seriously worht almost a grand for the complete Hinson set up (he does have sweet looking stuff though)

I have had e-mail based talks with the people at Sparks and you guys arent missing much since they were very vague in their replies (was detailed questions on cylinder and piston set up and basicaly they said to either have them do it or just buy all the parts from them and everything would be fine lol bs) and seemed like they wanted to use the phone etc. So I would suggest the phone.

B@ckBoneBelgium if you ever have problems with getting stuff exported/imported etc that you really need in the future drop me a PM and I may be able to help you out.

tprender
02-24-2003, 05:59 AM
Just had GT thunder do the inner clutch hud (take .020 off ). If your stock basket is good you can use it if it isstill good. The stell plates are thinner so that you can get the extra plate in. Stock 97 and new steel .056in. Have not had a chance to try it yet, just put it together last week and it snowed yesterday. Did the complete change for under $200.

Dave400ex
02-24-2003, 01:48 PM
I think getting a setup like the Sparks with a Hinson basket would be more then enough. The full Hinson setup would be awesome, but I think the Sparks and Basket would be enough. Only thing you might have to buy is the pressure plate or inner hub...