PDA

View Full Version : Took my last Beating!

Maryland 400EX
01-07-2003, 11:05 AM
The war is about to begin in my ATV Community. Three new guys with Z 400's just showed up in the area and they're calling me on the telephone ( three way ) talking big smack about their intentions. Two of them have pipes, so I need motor work ASAP! This past weekend I went out with 7 quads other than the ones I mentioned plus a KX 100 and things were a little dicey to say the least. Six of those quads posed no threat (Warrior, Grizz 600, etc) but there was a white Z 400 stock that gave me a fit. Due to the fact that I jetted my 39MM FCR for 50 degree temps and it was 32 degrees outside, my 400 was starving for fuel throughout the powerband, especially on the top side. I'm gonna change my main jet from the 165 to the 168 for better pull. Because of this lean condition, all I could do was get in the Z400's draft and get side by side with him on the mile long straights. The ZX 100 eeked by both of us on the top side but it was very close. I'm ready to put an end to this foolishness so I'm ready to "PUT MY MONEY WHERE MY MOUTH IS!" There is no way in h#ll I'm gonna fall victim to those new Z's, so I'm looking for a built motor to strap on my ride. Who knows of any EX motors hopped up and ready for sale?

YZROOSTINYA
01-07-2003, 11:59 AM
dude you going so damn slow cause your richer than ****, with my motor work im at 170 main and i will going back down to a 165 in the summer

its 25 out now

Maryland 400EX
01-07-2003, 01:12 PM
Trust me, I'm not rich! My plug was damm near white when I checked it after the ride and it runs noticeably better in warmer weather so it's definitely lean. I'm gonna get the 168 main today.

beerock
01-07-2003, 01:34 PM
maryland, dont look at the tip of the plug.

chop your old plugs threads off and pay attention to the reading right at the base of the resistor. That is how you check your jetting. some people use a magnifying glass and look down the lil hole to see what the ring color is..

definately sounds like your lean though.

I know of a motor builder that builds sick 400ex motors

B+B of deleware302-836-2012

there fairly close to you and I doubt youll have a 9 month wait like tc or sparks.Also, there motor jobs supposedly smoke the curtis sparks 440's. I have there ported 250r cylinder and modded head and i beat 2 curtis sparks r's in a race last may.

I'd say give em a try.

I dont think you need a motor...
I know you dont want to send your motor out and lose riding time.
maybe b+b has a motor all ready for ya?

or perhaps find out if they will sell you a ported and polished head with bigger vavlves and a cam.

who knows, give em a call.

Maryland 400EX
01-07-2003, 01:41 PM
I'll give 'em a call Bee... Good lookin' out. I can't believe that with all the guys on this forum that nobody has any built motors for sale.

Maryland 400EX
01-07-2003, 02:14 PM
Beerock, I called B&B of Delaware and spoke to Butch. I told him that I would go for my last ride on Sunday the way it is then remove the motor Sunday night and have it to him by Monday. He wants to disassemble the motor to see if everything is in good condition and have it ready for the 440 11:1 piston kit, cam and cylinder head porting. He claims that this job is in the $900 range provided that everthing else is cool. We're looking to get 10 HP from the engine mods. I'm looking at a 10 day turnaround. Thanks for the heads up.

BadassKFX470
01-07-2003, 04:37 PM
is a 440 as high as you can go on an ex?? and please dont flame me for being here, i am thinking of buying one

northeast400
01-07-2003, 05:27 PM
next time you race a z400 don't worry the tranny will fall out, there becoming known for it up here.:blah

BadassKFX470
01-07-2003, 05:29 PM
everyone in nc hasnt had any probs with them, dont hate man.

TRX_Thumper
01-07-2003, 06:53 PM
welcome to the site 470....ah aint none of us really hate a z we just joke around about em yeah know...i like em myself

2 QuicK
01-07-2003, 07:13 PM
It kinda sucks that when the new quads come out (Raptor, Z400) all they have to do is add a pipe and an air filter and they got an extra 6-10 Horse:( But when u add a pipe and a filter to the 400ex you only get like 2-3 tops. Plus were not packing as many horse as them anyways.:mad: Ohh well, i would ever trade my Honda in on anything. Like Maryland said, just have to go inside :D Show the Z's what's up.

Maryland 400EX
01-07-2003, 07:52 PM
Yea, at the time I bought the EX I thought I'd just be kickin around recreationally and never in my wildest dreams did I think there would be other riders nearby. Now that my neighborhood has turned into Iraq with these quads I find myself up against the gun due to the new technology of the LTZ/KFX 400. What I really want to do is get a Raptor bored and stroked to deliver the death blow to these wannabees but the wife ain't feelin' that so I'm gonna try and do it with the EX I suppose. I found a guy with a 440 Baldwin motor that makes 40+ HP and is for sale but he wants $3000. If he had said $2000 I would have been installing it right now but that's not the case. I'll have this thing in the shop on Monday for a quick 440, cam and porting job so we'll see what happens.

beerock
01-07-2003, 09:35 PM
cool man, by the way whats your name? im tired of calling you after a state LOL

I wouldnt doubt that the B+B will turn heads once its installed.

I think if butch is gonna take your motor apart get a carrillo rod in that ex and stroke it!!!

doesnt the motor work include a true and weld of the crank?

Evan
01-07-2003, 10:10 PM
Do you have 18' turfs?? If so, put a 16t sprocket on the front, that should put u in front, gosh knows it should pull that gearing, you could even put a 36t in the back, that should take care of them. 16-36 with 18' tires, gearing should easily beat them if your motor will pull it. I know mine with cam and all would pull that gearing, even come off the line in 2nd. So yours should at least come off in 1st.
Gearing
15t-38t-20'tires=stock

16t-38t-18'tires=stock

16t-38-20'tires=mid

15t-38t-18'tires=low

16t-36t-18'tires=mid

16t-36t-20'tires=very tall

The taller gearing you can run the better.

PS that pipe and carb should take care of them with the right gearing. You shouldnt need any motorwork.

BadassKFX470
01-08-2003, 04:58 AM
"11:1 piston kit"-quoted from maryland, u couldnt change the head gasket and get more compression?? thats what we did to my other kfx, i have 2 of them the 470 (raptor,predator eater), and a piped,airbox mods, with a thinner gasket to increase compression kfx. and maryland since i am one of those "wannabees" howcome all these bored over predators( and yes they have big bore kits already out for these things), and raptors cant do nothing with my little 470?? not to start a flame or anything but i hate being called one of those people "wannabees"

Predator36
01-08-2003, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by northeast400
next time you race a z400 don't worry the tranny will fall out, there becoming known for it up here.:blah

Do you know what is breaking on the tranny??

YZROOSTINYA
01-08-2003, 06:28 AM
cause yours is prob set up right, i prefer performance and engineering over displacement, lets move forward not backward people

YZROOSTINYA
01-08-2003, 06:32 AM
the same reason why a stock 450f puts out 55-6hp and raptors with a 210cc advantage put out 20hp less and with TWO shibby carbs. so throw a mx style exhasut and your still lacking 10-15 hp and 210cc over

what the **** were they thinking?

I LOVE YAMAHA, but ALL there quads SUCK

check out there street bikes,dirtbikes,sleds,waverunners, now take a look at thier quads and you tell me what happenned?:grr

when they come out with the 440f it will be a hole nother story

starting with me selling the 416

Steve-o 400EX
01-08-2003, 08:43 AM
Sounds like its gunna be a hot setup maryland. Good luck with it. I am thinkin on going with a 416 kit over the summer.

Maryland 400EX
01-08-2003, 01:31 PM
The name is Gary, Beerock. I'd like to do the stroker kit but I don't want to put a $40 saddle on a $10 horse! Are you speaking of the Powroll Stroker Kit? Sounds lovely but I'm trying to keep the cost in an area where I can kick butt without selling the farm for it.
I'm thinking that if I can coax 40 to 45 HP out of this thing I'll be safe from the new kids on the block. X-rider, I have 20/11-9 Turfs with the stock gearing. If I get my HP in the 40 range I'll make my gearing a tad taller. KFX 470, I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers but I'm on a mission to kick some LTZ butt! No offense pal, but this IS a Honda website so from time to time you're gonna hear things that you probably won't like. My comments weren't directed at you but you know how it is when the testosterone gets to flowin'. When I'm at Z400 Central all I have to do is post and I get hammered so you get the idea... Thanks Steve...

rookiex
01-08-2003, 02:21 PM
I am felling that 440f your talkin bout man...I can't wait till they come out with the new honda....then raptor,kfx,z,dale owners can clam there slefs up because theres a new kid on the block and its gonna kick all them out....cheap power not 8000 for a dale 6000 for a 660...a 660 should be making atleast 50 hp....660 ccs J-sus-krice that is like the big block of the atv world....but it just don't seem that way....440f 450f what ever it may be it will be fast light powerfull and the price will be set for the common man....

quadracer12
01-11-2003, 12:28 AM
this made my day! :D i knew the z was gonna wip your butt. good thing his mommy won't let him spend as much on his as your wife lets you. :devil give in to the temptation and go just buy one. let the skill do the talking not your wallet

TrX465
01-11-2003, 12:44 AM
You can barrow my motor :devil

BadassKFX470
01-11-2003, 07:47 AM
hey maryland i didnt mean to sound pissed or anything, its just it doesnt matter where i go someone is always putting down a kfx-z, thats why i am trying to find a new forum to goto, the people here are nice, and when one of u get beat u all dont get pissed with everyone. i know what u mean about going to a fourm and saying something and getting crap started but i didnt mean to do it here, legrant