PDA

View Full Version : Rear Wheels

Ryan'07400ex
07-13-2009, 08:01 AM
Ok so one day I was riding on the road (just a lane I live on) when I noticed my left rear tire was "wobbling" a bit so then I looked at my right side and it isn't doing any thing different from what you would expect from knobbies. At first I thought it was my axle but I had a guy follow me and he says the axle looks straight so my rim must be bent. I also have noticed at low speeds I hear my chain moving more than I used to (it is lubed)
So what do you guys think axle or rim. I realize you wont know for sure though since you havent seen it.

If it is my wheels that are bent what are some good ones to get for a reasonable price. I dont want stock idt but I can't pay for new hipers either.

Thanks for reading and any opinions :)

matt14c
07-13-2009, 09:54 AM
If it is your axle usually you can prop up the rear end and either move the axle forward then back. If you think it could be the axle then usually its time to replace the axle bearings or carrier anyways. $100 or less could save alot of problems. What kind of quad does your buddy have? I ask because most Honda rims are the same so you could put his rims on yours for a second and vise versa to see if bent. I like using ITP Baja wheels. They seem pretty strong and dont cost an arm and a leg either. Rocky mountain is usually the cheapest for wheels and tires.

lilyamaharacer4
07-13-2009, 10:08 AM
Check swingarm bearings, loose hubs, loose locknut, and loose swingarm bolt first before tearing the rear end apart. Becasuse all that stuff could cause the same thing.

Gibson
07-13-2009, 01:11 PM
When you're riding and you look at your wheel, is it moving side to side, or forwards and backwards? If it moves side to side, it's your wheel. If it moves forwards and backwards, it's your axle.

bigd's ex
07-13-2009, 01:48 PM
If you can't see that the axle or rim is bent, you can swap the tires, left to right & right to left & see if it wobbles on the opposite side. If your symptoms reverse then it's probably the rim or possibly your tire is not mounted just right. I have the same problem with mine, but I know it's the tire on mine.

Ryan'07400ex
07-14-2009, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by bigd's ex
If you can't see that the axle or rim is bent, you can swap the tires, left to right & right to left & see if it wobbles on the opposite side. If your symptoms reverse then it's probably the rim or possibly your tire is not mounted just right. I have the same problem with mine, but I know it's the tire on mine.

I could try this but as always my dad says just to leave it alone if it still works so I may just wait until it is more noticeable. Or i may just get lucky and find cheap used hipers and buy em anyway.

Unless you guys think it could be something very bad that could lead to more money. Would my bearing be out within two years? Is my locknut supposed to move a hair (it clicked when i turned it back and forth)

Gibson
07-14-2009, 09:14 PM
Like i asked before, does your wheel move side to side, or forwards and backwards when it's rolling?

Ryan'07400ex
07-15-2009, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Gibson
Like i asked before, does your wheel move side to side, or forwards and backwards when it's rolling?

Sorry I answered that to myself not you guys I guess. It seems side to side to me

Gibson
07-15-2009, 09:04 AM
oh its ok:) then it would be your wheel. its really nothing to worry about unless its really bad