PDA

View Full Version : Why are YOSHI pipes not tlaked about much?

2fastandfurious
01-07-2003, 09:29 AM
QJ has a Yoshi pipe and says she really love it. I want to ditch my DG. I can see that white brothers is very popular on her. I guess she saw a dyno and yoshi is THE best all around. I like the look of the titanium ones as well..... Is it a good pipe? Who owns one?
thanks
-Ben

MSL
01-07-2003, 09:34 AM
Yoshi is a good pipe, but they are real loud

ddfetters
01-07-2003, 10:46 AM
Don't know why Yoshi isn't talked 'bout much.....just ordered up the full comp system....can't wait for it to get here.....i obviously thought it was an all-round great pipe, so i bought it.....however it was a little $$$$$.......

chad400ex
01-07-2003, 11:33 AM
I've got a Yoshi pipe (titanium) and it isn't that loud. It's just a different sound than a White Brothers or Pro Circuit pipe. I also picked up the T.E.C. endcaps, and those things make the pipe quieter than stock....SERIOUSLY. I've even had a sound cop tell me that I had a good sounding piple. No ticket was given either.

ddfetters
01-07-2003, 11:43 AM
hey chad.....so the pipe sounds decent.....i didn't want one that sounded like the usual.....ever hear a comp system? sound alright or what? also what's the deal w/ the TEC system - makes it have a quiet sound.....what is it exactly? the end pieces, cause the system comes w/ a spark arrestor....

chad400ex
01-07-2003, 11:59 AM
Well, here's what they look like. They basically just make a smaller opening (which restricts flow a little bit). But, this also makes your bike quiet if you need to get past the sound cops. Remove the 3 allen head screws on the end of the pipe. Pull off the end-piece, remove spark arrestor. Put in new spark arrestor with smaller opening. It takes about 30 seconds. I just carry the smallest end cap in my tool box, along with the proper sized allen wrench.

ddfetters
01-07-2003, 12:18 PM
so i guess it's worth the $30-$40 for the TEC kit? i have to pick one up....Rocky Mt. had a decent price on them I believe.....so what jets are you running w/ the slip on? i'm getting the full system and probably going to start w/ 152M & 40P.....how's the sound? I don't think Yoshi gives a guide w/ the system? or maybe they do i'm not sure.....any suggestions would be great...thanks

2k2-300exnj
01-07-2003, 12:43 PM
because not a lot of people can afford them... ive heard a raptor with one, and a 400 with one they sound sweet but for half the price u can get an engine builders which i realized... hence the reason i bought hetricks racing pipe although they are loud!

chad400ex
01-07-2003, 02:01 PM
I've got the dynojet kit, so I'm using their needle with the clip 3 positions down from the top, and the 158 main jet with 3 turns out on the fuel/air screw. I'm at sea level most of the time and this set-up works great for me. Oh, and I've got 8 one-inch holes in my airbox lid with filtered vents in them. And a K&N filter. I'm going to put a Powroll airbox lid on in the next few weeks. My buddy (who works there) picked one up for me. I'm going to take my bike down there and put it on the dyno in the near future, and make sure my jetting is right. But, it seems right, and the plug always looks good.

Oh, and I've ground out the welds in the stock headers, so I should be pretty close to your full system. Those welds were over 1/4" thick all the way around. It really opened up the exhuast system.

300EXrider02
01-07-2003, 02:11 PM
my yoshi is great...chad u only got a slip on?? the header on the 300 is very big, and the power gains are very nice, about them being loud, there the quietest pipe i have heard out of all of them, and yes there is a t.e.c. kit which i have to, i got mine before many even new about them, they started to make some real nice pipes jsut recently, and least weight, best all around gains, and sound level, in my opinion it is the best pipe out right now, ya there expensive but worht it no question, deffinetly get the full system, people jsut take and buy what they hear from other people, think about how many people on here say wb is awesome, and it is, but also getting more and more popular, hopefully for yoshi as well

la400ex
01-07-2003, 02:35 PM
My neighbor has a yosh full system. Its not as loud as my R4. It sounds good but it doesnt have a deep throaty sound. Its different.

chad400ex
01-07-2003, 04:31 PM
Yep, I've "only" got the slip on. From what I've heard, the stock headers are good, and if you clean out those welds inside the headpipes, it makes a big difference. So, I've a kind of modified full system. I'm thinking about getting my headers extrusion honed and then jet-hot coated. I bought my Yoshi because they've had a long standing relationship with honda street bikes. I had a Yoshi pipe on my CBR600F3, and it was a high quality product. I actually got my titanium slip-on for $270 from atvaddiction. They didn't have the "comp" version in stock, but told me I could have the titanium "race" version for the same price. This slip on normaly sells for $370 or more. So, this is the one I bought. I don't see many 400EX's out there that have the same pipe. I also liked having the T.E.C. option.

A bit of interesting info. My buddy who works at Powroll told me that Muzzy's (whose shop is in the same town) is making all the pipes for Yoshi. So, if you want to buy a Yoshi pipe at a slightly lower price, buy the Muzzy exhaust. Muzzy Kawasaki has been a very sucessful race team. Kind of funny how the Z400 had a Yoshi hop-up kit out so fast. I bet muzzy will make a KFX400 hop up kit in the near future. Same bike/pipe with a different name. Gotta love the Suzuki/Kawasaki "identical twin" bikes. Kind of reminds me of the Mopar (Dodge, Plymouth, Chrysler) K-cars of the late 70's.

:D