PDA

View Full Version : Jetted and now it won't start-what could I have done wrong?

rinaldi
07-11-2009, 08:49 PM
I rejetted with Gary's recommendation and I must have done something wrong. I have a 118 main in and also swapped the slow jet as well. I also installed the Uni with Outwears. I cannot understand what the clip position is or where to locate or how it adjusts??

While taking the carb bottom off to access the jets the "pin" fell out. I am guessing the pin is what "hinged" together the float or black piece that goes inside the bottom of the carb. I slid it back together and that is the ONLY thing that raised a red flag.

I initially had the bike running and it was strong, but after a quick lap around the house it bogged down and shut off. Now I can't even get the bike to start. It doesn't seem like the fuel is making into the carb because after repeated attempts to start I take off the carb again to see if something comes to me and no fuel really comes out. Is the clear line off the bottom of the carb just a drain line?

JIM GRACE
07-11-2009, 09:23 PM
The needle is in the top part of the carb
that unscrews and is spring loaded. And yes
the clear lines are to let fuel drain

I would pull the plug and check it, that
will give you some direction. Should be
chocolate brown. Light is lean black is
too rich. Good luck

rinaldi
07-12-2009, 12:02 AM
How do I set the needle clip? I have the top of the carb off and see that I can push the needle, but how do I know where it is set? And does it just screw in/out? It seems to turn, but does not seem like it is threaded. It just seems to spin. I thought there were 5 notches or something.

riding4fun
07-12-2009, 06:33 AM
Take the gas cap off or loosen it.

Then see if the fuel will come out of the line.

mudder700
07-12-2009, 06:42 AM
First, pull the carb off the quad and take the bowl back off, make sure the float valve is attached to the float and goes up and down with the float attached, the float valve is a little pointed rod with a wire loop on it, it slides over the float, second, pull the cap off of the carb by unscrewing it and the slide will come out, if you compress the spring, you can get the throttle cable to come out and then you can access the needle,you will probably need needlenose pliers to squeeze the clip that holds the needle into the slide, with the needle clip squeezed, you can bring it out and that will make it so you can get the needle out,use the needlenose pliers to grab on the the edge of the clip and change the position,I assume you want to lower the clip setting to the bottom or close-there are 5 slots on the clip, now reverse the directions and reinstall clip into the slide, put retainer clip back in with the pliers,compress the spring and slide it down onto the slide and put it in the slot to hold it, now put your slide into the carb and slowly turn the slide to make sure it drops all the way down claosed, reinstall the carb and you have done it, sounds difficult, but once you do it, it is really easy, run it and pull the plug to check the color, remember to adjust the air screw to fine tune it too.Kurt

rinaldi
07-12-2009, 07:42 AM
So first on the needle clip-do I take off the throttle cable? I see if I compress the spring the needle is attached to a white piece that slides up and down in the chamber. When compressed I can see where the throttle line comes in-do I pop off the throttle where it attaches in the slide? I don't see where to grab the clip or not sure what the clip is. I should set it to the 2nd from the top, but again I don't see how to adjust it still. By compressing the needle I only see the white piece come out the top-is that the clip?

On the float bowl I wonder if I have it mounted upside down. The float pin that should go in/out with the float seems to stay in the hole and the float does not allow it to hinge in/out.

mudder700
07-12-2009, 08:26 AM
Yes, you will need to remove the throttle cable from the carb end,unscrew the cap and then compress the spring, the white ring will slide out, then with the spring compressed, you can push down the throttle cable out of the slot in the bottom of the slide, then look down into the slide and you will see the clip that holds the needle, squeeze that clip and lift up and it will come out, then the needle will come out ,just tip the slide upside down and it will fall right out, I don't know if you could get the float bowl back on if your float was installed upside down, see if it moves up and down, with the carb in the upright postion, without the bowl on it, it should hang down just a little and the pointed pin would let the gas run into the bowl, if it doesn't move at all, check to see if it is in correctly. You can call me at 607-988-2621 and I can try to explain over the phone to you if you need help, I am not a great typer, so it takes me a long time to type this in, hopefully this will help..Kurt

rinaldi
07-12-2009, 09:08 AM
Well I got the pin adjusted without taking everything out of the slide. I pushed up the slide and rested it on top which allowed the pin to come out without taking off the throttle cable. The quad still won't start.

I still think the only thing that could have went wrong was re-assembling the float and float pin. I have attached a pic for reference. I slid the rod from the posts on each side of the float thru the float and the float pin sits in the middle. The float just doesnt seem to move the way I think it should. The pin does get compressed when the float moves, but the range of movement is minimal.

The carb is getting fuel, but still won't start. Kurt if you don't mind I will try calling you. This is driving me nuts.

rinaldi
07-12-2009, 09:17 AM
Here is the pic again to confirm what is going on;

The red line indicates where I put the rod that fell out. I assumed it held together the float bow to give it the hinged effect.

The blue is where I set the float bowl pin and the tip is in the hole.

The yellow line just indicates which way I have the float bowl. On that side of the float bowl there is a tab that angles to the bottom of the carb I woud presume to only allow it to hinge so far.

raidernut
07-12-2009, 09:57 AM
maybe the needle and seat didnt go back together right, and the float needle isnt attached back on the arm of the float when you put it back together.

mudder700
07-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Give me a call, if I don't answer it is because we are outside practicing on the motox track, I will call you back as soon as I come inside

mudder700
07-12-2009, 10:00 AM
Have you checked for spark? Pull your plug and check for spark, you might be chasing the wrong problem, maybe your carb is ok,just not sure how you changed the needle setting without undoing the throttle cable at the carb end....

rinaldi
07-12-2009, 10:32 AM
Well this is one problem-the spark plug. Attached is a pic and it is black. I will have to find a shop open today.

The needle is now concerning me a bit as well. It was not a problem until I messed with it this morning. I pushed up the white slide until it rested on the top of the chamber. Then since the sping was sitting/resting on top I just pushed the needle up and grabbed it from the top and pulled it straight out. At that point is wasnt attached to anything. It seems to just "sit" in the hole in the chamber and the pressure of the spring holds it down. I tested pushing it up and it seems to operate as it did. Should the needle be "fixed" into something or just drop in the hole and held down by the spring?

rinaldi
07-12-2009, 10:32 AM
Forgot the pic of the plug

mudder700
07-12-2009, 11:24 AM
Maybe your carb doesn't have the clip to hold the needle in place, I personally would put the clip on the needle in the second slot from the bottom, put a new plug in it and try it,should be ok.

bulldogfallon
07-12-2009, 11:37 AM
Here is a link to an exploded parts diagream to a Keihin PWK Carb.

http://www.sudco.com/vol33/125-128.pdf

This should be very similar to your carb...

If the plug is fouled then it won't start or stay running

Our jetting for a 90 with a PWK24

42 Pilot
Needle Clip #2 slot (from top)
115 to 118 MJ

All in FL...

rinaldi
07-12-2009, 12:27 PM
Does the collar attach to the jet needle? The bottom of the carb is just how it should be. There should be nothing wrong with the setup. My only question would be the needle, but the quad would not start before I adjusted the clip setting. But again on the needle clip adjustment I pushed the needle up and rested the spring on the edge of the throttle valve which allowed me to just pull the needle out. it wasn't attached to anything just held down by the spring.

The plug looks fouled and is black. No part store locally has the NGK plug until it comes in tomorrow so i picked up the equivalent in the Autolite but that does not seem to fire it over either. I am stumped.

rinaldi
07-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Could there be any other reason the quad would not start, other than the plug? I know the jets are in properly and the bottom of the carb installed right. Would the needle have anything to do with it?

JIM GRACE
07-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Have ruled out the plug yet. You said
it ran great and the died out . Why you
are at the store pick up a bunch of them,
you will need them. Last resort is starter
fluid to get it to fire. :devil:

rinaldi
07-12-2009, 06:47 PM
The NKG plug comes in tomorrow so I will try that. That Autolite equivalent does not work, but I could have it gapped wrong. THe manual says gap .6-.7 but Gary's manual on his site shows .9-1.0. Anyone know which gap is accurate for a PWK24 carb? It seemed the stock one was around .6.

rinaldi
07-13-2009, 07:21 PM
Thanks everyone for their help. THe new plug did the trick and got it going. Then realized it wouldn't move. The throttle cable came off the needle assembly in the top of the carb. Easy fix and she starts right up.

I will still need to fine tune it as I am not sure the jets are set properly yet, but it is good for now. Again thanks everyone for their help.