PDA

View Full Version : Cannot get puller bolt to pop flywheel-Sparks Install

rinaldi
07-11-2009, 08:23 PM
I feel like I am chewing up my quad trying to install this damn thing. First the flywheel flat spots don't seem to be enough to bite on to get the leverage. I at least got the nut and washer out, but cannot break loose the flywheel. I only bought two 12" adjustable wrenches, but I dont think the 24inch would make the difference. Help quad is dismantled.

Also I bought the Honda gasket on Ebay and it shows the proper part # as the "How To Sparks Install", but it is way too big and cannot be the right size. Local shop had to order one for me. Is the one in the write up different that for an 06 model?

tri5ron
07-11-2009, 08:54 PM
can you post a pic of your current degree of disassembly, and your attempted method of removal?

what type/size of wrench, or breaker bar are you using to tighten the puller bolt?
are trying to use the 12" adtustable wrench on the puller bolt?

something cant be right.

show me some pics.

ae13291
07-11-2009, 10:23 PM
you have to hold the flywheel with the wrench and dont be afraid to tighten the crap out of the flywheel puller bolt, its steel so its not gonna strip.

uchi
07-12-2009, 07:18 AM
yup hold the flywheel otherwise youll just be rotating the crank. my suggestion, go to a parts store and rent an impact gun if you have a compressor. im not sure what you have near you but we have a few places that do that locally. also a good investment is an electric impact gun. ive got both a pnumatic and electric and use them regularly.

rinaldi
07-12-2009, 09:23 AM
Here is a pic of where I am at and I am chewing up the center of the flywheel trying to hold it to turn in the flywheel puller. I am using 12" long adjustable wrenches and it is not working.

rob_990
07-12-2009, 09:42 AM
put a pipe on the end to get more leverage.

uchi
07-12-2009, 12:14 PM
yup, and make sure your turning it the right way and that you have that wrench pressed good and tight against the foot peg.

tri5ron
07-12-2009, 01:14 PM
It appears to me that you are dealing with two issues. The first one being that you are not holding onto the flywheel flats good enough, and having your wrench slip, and chewing up your flywheel....
and the second issue being that you are finding it difficult to apply enough torque to the pullerbolt, in a controlled smooth, manner.

First off, you MUST have the adjustable wrench on the flywheel flats, AS TIGHT AS POSSIBLE, i.e. No slop in the jaws of the wrench, no wobble between wrench and flywheel.

Second, yes it does makes a difference from 12" to 24" wrench when tightening the puller bolt.
So as has been previously suggested, you will now need to get a pipe that slips over the handle of the adjustable wrench, and is about 24" long.
it takes ALOT of pressure to get the flywheel to "Pop" loose, due to it is torqued into a tapered crankshaft.

Be carefull with the pipe/wrench setup, and dont slip. you will be putting alot of torque through a rather wobbley tool doing it this way.
This is why I instructed to use a Long breaker bar and socket, in my original write-up.

you can also try this, BUT, ...
YOU MUST BE CAREFUL,
and not go at it like a bull in a china cabinet.

once you have put ALOT of torque onto the puller bolt,...
and the flywheel has still not "Popped" loose,...
You can try a well placed, and solid "Tap", from a ballpeen hammer, directly onto the puller bolt head.

this "Tap" will send a shockwave to the crank and flywheel, and may be the little extra you need to get it to pop loose.

DO NOT GO BEATING ON THE BOLT LIKE A MADMAN.

if these methods wont work for you then you have a choice...
Either go back and do it the way my instructions originally listed, and has been spot on for many people here,...

or enlist the help of someone who has extensive experience in motor work, and mechanics.

the bottom line here is you need to apply MORE pressure onto the puller bolt, ...
in a CONTROLLED MANNER.

rinaldi
07-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Do you suggest I get a 24 inch wrench? Or will a pipe wrench bite better on the flywheel? At this point I have to get this thing fixed and I know can't get the Sparks puller bolt either out or removed.

tri5ron
07-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by rinaldi
Do you suggest I get a 24 inch wrench? Or will a pipe wrench bite better on the flywheel? At this point I have to get this thing fixed and I know can't get the Sparks puller bolt either out or removed.

first off, NO, DO NOT touch your bike with a pipe wrench!
in my previous comment reguarding a "Pipe", ...
It was in reference to using a pipe on the handle of the adjustable wrench as a "Cheater bar", to make it longer,..
NOT an actual Pipe Wrench used for household plumbing.

I'm not sure that I understand what you mean when you say that you can not get the puller bolt out or removed.
Is it possible that you got the puller bolt cross threaded in the end of the flywheel?

Why do you say that it can not be removed? Is this because it is so tight going in, and you can not keep the flywheel from turning?

rob_990
07-12-2009, 10:35 PM
if you have a hand impact you might be able to break it loose

NacsMXer
07-13-2009, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by rob_990
if you have a hand impact you might be able to break it loose

Easiest way to bust it loose IMO, impact it off.

rinaldi
07-13-2009, 11:31 AM
Guys the problem is I cannot keep the flywheel from turning. The adjustable will not stay on the flywheel. I just can't seem to get the leverage by grabbing just the flats of the flywheel.

lilyamaharacer4
07-13-2009, 02:06 PM
Do yourself a favor and go out and get a good air or electric impact wrench.

buster024
07-13-2009, 02:16 PM
As mentioned above, having the longer wrench is a necessity. I don't know if you have Harbor Freights in Iowa, but just find your town's local cheap tool store (import el'cheapo), and buy yourself a triple set of 15", 18", and 24" "crescent" type adjustable wrenches. Also buy a 24" swivel head socket breaker bar. You'll rarely use them again (except maybe to tighten your axle nut), so don't waste a ton of money on expensive giant wrenches. I think I paid $30 for the wrenches, and $9 for the breaker bar. You will find your success with the right tools. (plus you can spend the rest of your money on bike parts!)
Also make sure that the wrench that is holding your flywheel is laying somewhere on your bike that allows it to have a good angle. You may need to build up the height of the "wrench holder" with a block of wood or something. I don't have heel guards, and my wrench wouldn't stay tight either, so I had to build up a few 2x4 blocks to get the wrench to the right angle.

tri5ron
07-13-2009, 04:19 PM
you could also try using a "strap wrench" around the outside perimeter of the flywheel. but you will probably need to have someone give you a hand holding it while you are tightening the puller bolt.

This should not be this hard to do.

rinaldi
07-13-2009, 07:12 PM
Well I picked up a 24" adjustable and at least got the puller bolt free. Now my question is do I finish the job or put the damn thing back together stock? Maybe the longer adjustable made the difference. I know it would be easier with an additional set of hands since wedging the wrench is part of the problem

Also, what is the proper part number for the gasket? The part number listed on the writeup is the part number listed on the OEM Honda gasket I got off Ebay but it is way too big and the holes don't line up on my 06.

buster024
07-13-2009, 08:36 PM
Go to Motosport.com. They've got an oem parts finder. look here.... (http://www.motosport.com/atv/oem.php?make=HONDA&type=ATV&model=TRX400EX&year=2006&groupId=8593)

tri5ron
07-13-2009, 10:44 PM
Harbor frieght tools locations in Iowa...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/retail_stores.taf#IA

breaker bar...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=30395

socket set...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34683

or...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=5494