PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent Spark

Sweendogie
07-11-2009, 04:09 PM
i rebuilt my top end and put a new battery in my quad as well as a relay and solenoid.... it will crank over and will only spark maybe once every 5 or 10 cranks im completely lost

proctorbc2005
07-11-2009, 11:44 PM
Check the power output on your stator, I had the same issue a few days ago, replaced the stator and it works fine now.

I just unpluged the stator put the leads from my multi-meter in the plug comming from the stator, and cranked the bike. I was not getting any voltage. Replaced the stator, and ran same test, if I rember right the new stator was putting out about 12-13 volts.

Also, just for giggles, you may want to check your timming. I dont think it could affect your spark, but it couldnt hurt to check it anyway.

Sweendogie
07-12-2009, 12:28 AM
ill try it tomorrow for sure do i just follow the wire that comes out of the cover to the plug and test it? .... is it possible i could have fried it by trying to jump the relay with to many amps?

proctorbc2005
07-12-2009, 08:00 AM
Follow the wire from the cover, There are 2 plugs that come from the stator, test them both. One will not give any voltage, the other will not. If neither give voltage, then you know the stator is bad.

I do not think jumping the relay would fry the stator, the stator is a generator it puts out power, it does not recieve power.

The only thing you would fry by jumping the relay would be the battery, the relay, the fuses, or the starter.

I was doing some research, when this happened to me, there are other common causes for this issue. A fried CDI unit, faulty plug, incorrect plug gap, faulty ignition coil, chaffed wiring, faulty voltage rectifier/regular, and my "favorite" unplugged head and tail lights. If the stator is putting out good power, buckle down, you are in for a long trouble shooting process.

I just got lucky, the stator was the first thing I tested, and it was bad.

Check your PM, I sent you somthing that may also help.

Sweendogie
07-12-2009, 10:20 AM
well i tested a black and a white plug and got no reading out of either... im pretty sure they are the plugs you told me to test so i think it could be the stator....

proctorbc2005
07-12-2009, 11:23 AM
If you tested both plugs comming from the stator, and had no power reading comming from either, with the bike cranking, then there you go.

If you are going to replace the stator, get on of the High Output Ricky Stators, you can pick them up on ebay for $100 to $150.

You can also pick up a stock one for cheap.