PDA

View Full Version : Any chain guide tips or tricks

jakiesdad
07-11-2009, 03:52 PM
Smashed up the welded mounting brackets for the chain guide. I figure I can pound, bend, and align the mounts and welded on nuts to the best I can, or get someone with welding knowledge to fab me up something skookum, or ?????

Anyone else do anything different or have this problem. Thanxs in advance for any advice.

Ryko racing
07-13-2009, 07:34 AM
We have never bent the mounts but we have worn out the guides. I know cobra has a aluminum plte to protect the guide.

Full Throttle00
07-22-2009, 10:22 PM
This quad was manufactured and intended to run MX. But for some of us who want to put the COBRA to the real test, we run Off-road GNCC/ WORCS style races that encounter Rocks, Logs, tires, creek beds, Ruts, Trees, and what ever gets in the way.

The mounting bracket welded to the swing arm usually bends, twists, & then breaks.
You can beat it back & weld it again and/ or upgrade to a better one and also pick up an "EXTREME sprocket/chain slide protector " as well, they really help.

JB, (Did you get them bearings figured out & replaced?)

jakiesdad
07-22-2009, 10:57 PM
I ended up hammering everything back except one of the welded nuts wouldn't align correctly, so I picked up a smaller m6 bolt and nyloc and that helped keep it straight not all cockeyed.

All 4 bearings have been replaced. But!!!

Lost our 60 piston and cylinder during practice on Sat. at Straddleline. Found out that the water pump and seal must have started going out during TPQ, and then at Bob's practice it completely leaked out all the coolant and plastic fins were demolished too.
Jake pulled over saying something was wrong and the motor almost looked like it was glowing.

Ryan had a new waterpump kit and I put our old 50 back on and made it back out for our last 2 races.

Mike has the toasted jug and is having it looked at, but after spending over 3k on the dogs hip surgery and my wife bugging me to make Disneyland reservations, I might have to wait to do something with the cylinder.

We will be at TPQ but most likely just for the 70 class since the 50 won't be able to keep up with the 90's.

I was thinking about dropping back to the smaller front sprocket since we probably wont be able to take advantage of the top end and with all the obstacles and hill climbs.

Full Throttle00
07-22-2009, 11:10 PM
Do you have the upgraded larger black radiator?
That seems to typically be one of the causes along with clutch slipping & heating up.
I had the same thing happen @ WORCS Riverdale luckily I had 2 extra 60cc jug kits.
Still have one more as I am looking to part with along with a 50cc jug kit that is nearly new and maybe an extra piston.

Ryko racing
07-23-2009, 06:52 AM
We had a problem withour water pump seals and found that two too cool or liquid perf coolant works best as it is thinner. ( COBRA SAYS ENGINE ICE EATS THE SEAL)

aCTUALLY IF YOU LIVE IN THE SOUTH WE HAVE USED WATER WETTER BY REDLINE AND MIX WITH WATER AND IT WILL COOL IT OFF.

CALL PAUL MARRA AT WILEY MODS AND GET A BIG RADIATOR, HE MAKE A HUGE ONE THAT WILL CURE YOUR PROBLEMS.

609-387-3060 WILEY

Full Throttle00
08-18-2009, 10:42 AM
The stock all plastic one I feel is better as it has give and won't tear off the mounts from the swingarm as proven from this past weekend at WORCS Off-Road / EXTREME CROSS.