PDA

View Full Version : generic jets? also only 3 needle settings

baker420ex
07-11-2009, 01:43 PM
ok, so i just bumped up my 95 main to a 102. i was pretty certain i wouldn't find anything wierd, but i actually have a couple unresolved questions...
oh btw i'm running an open airbox, k&n filter, and no baffle on a 2001.

first off when i compared the two main jets, they looked like they were the same size, if anything the 95 almost looked bigger.
on the side of the head reads "95" and has an italic K beside it, which i'm assuming it means it's a keihin product...go figure. the 102 jet only reads "102" (no "K") and it's stamped on the bottom of the head..no other markings.. it may be useful to know that i ordered from www.jetsrus.com . anyways comparing the stamp from the two jets they obviously look like they are from two different manufacturers.

if you check the site out you'll likely be under the assumption that you are ordering keihin parts..it even lists for reference that a stock 250 ex will have a 95 main in it...as it did. but comparing the two jets it almost seems like the 102 was made on a different measurment scale or whatever..could it be a generic ??? btw i used their "search jets by make and model" tool so i'm quite certain that i received in the mail what i ordered.
either way i continued on..

in the performance faq it says the needle has six settings...well come to find out it only has 3, and the e clip was already placed in the bottom position. so i decided to add a small washer under the e clip to raise the needle up (to about where it would have been if there were more notches)...
anyways it started right up and i took it for a spin.. seemed to run just fine...although i guess i thought it would have made a difference but i really didn't notice any gain in performance.

i guess what i'm really wondering is why the bore of the 102 main looked -if anything- barely smaller, or the same as the 95..i know we're talking about close tolerances here but i was expecting to visually see that the 102 has a larger bore than the 95. wish i took a pic but i already have it all back together.

anyone been thru this before? i'm gonna take it for a few more spins and see what the plug looks like, maybe i'll post a few pics if anybody has any bright ideas...