PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent cutting out/sputtering on 525

fasterblaster02
07-11-2009, 01:33 PM
After rejetting and putting a pipe on my 525 irs, i rode it for about 10 min and then it started cutting out bad, like it was hitting the rev limiter but was nowhere near that rpm. It is so bad sometimes i cant even get it to move. So i am thinking maybe i got some dirt in the carb and plugged a jet? I had this problem once before, and i cleaned the carb and installed a jd jetting kit and the problem went away? What do you guys think, any other ideas?

towman
07-12-2009, 08:36 AM
i have an 08 525s with an HMF slipon and im having the same thing going on i got a jet kit just need to know what ppl think it is and what needle and jet i need to use

GE4x4
07-12-2009, 12:17 PM
When is it cutting out on you guys, right from the get go, or after awhile of riding?

towman
07-12-2009, 12:57 PM
my is in 3rd gear wide open and in the turns hard

GE4x4
07-12-2009, 01:02 PM
I meen more is is happening as soon as you start riding, or after about a hr or so of riding?

fasterblaster02
07-12-2009, 01:19 PM
After i rejetted and put the pipe on i rode it from my brothers house to my house, which was about 3 miles. I messed around a little there, and it looked like it was going to rain and i was going to ride it to work but didnt want to if it was raining, so i rode it back to my brothers house to get my car. That is when it started, i am guessing after 20 min of riding. After that i took the side cover off and made sure the primary drive nut was tight, changed the oil, etc. After work then i came back and started it up and it was acting funny right away before it even warmed up, which is why i think it is dirt in the carb. My buddy's new yfz did the same thing and it was just dirt in the carb. i am running stock header, uni filter, fmf factory 4.1 slip on. Blue jd jetting needle clip 3 down, 170 main, fuel screw 1.5 turns out.

GE4x4
07-12-2009, 01:26 PM
You look way rich. 170 is a big jump for just a slip on. When I had my IRS I was running a 160 and it still was a bit rich. I have a slip on on my 09 525s with a EHS lid and only got a 145 and it runs great. Seen many jump to much on there MJ and that is the cutting out. It can't burn that much fuel.

fasterblaster02
07-12-2009, 01:38 PM
I know it does sound big, but i was running a 165 main all stock and it ran awesome. Also, before it started cutting out on me, it ran faster than ever with the pipe on it.

towman
07-12-2009, 04:35 PM
i say it does it after it worms up cuz i dont rapp onit till its wormand it happens 3rd gear full thottle but i can tell the slipon gave me more power i know i need to jet it i just need to know what jet what spot on the needle and how many turns on the air fuel screw

GE4x4
07-12-2009, 05:20 PM
Have you guys done a plug check? Or is there a dyno near you?

towman
07-12-2009, 06:41 PM
no dyno for a wheeler my plug was changed by the dealer when it got its first service witch i thought was strange cuz he said it was bad and i only had bout 10hrs on it no i have like 5 on the new plug wheeler has only 15hrs on it

sleddog66
07-12-2009, 08:32 PM
any chance that the t-cable has too much slack and is the electronic limiter cutting it out? Maybe need to tighten that up?:confused:

sheriff525
07-13-2009, 11:25 AM
My brothers did something similar. Not exactly but we re adjusted the valves and it went away. It felt like it was only running at like 80% and it had no top end. Valves were adjusted and it was almost as fast as mine!

uchi
07-13-2009, 08:19 PM
fire it up, get it warmed up, beat it till it does this, shut it off right away and check the plug. if you keep it idling or running at lower throttle positions itll change the color of the plug, so when you flog it and check it without running it itll give you an accurate idea of how its running. white is lean, black is rich, you want a nice tan color. your also better to be a little on the rich side but not alot or you end up washing out your rings and contaminating theoil with fuel and then you get into a world of problems.

id start there and see what it does. beat it infront of your house so you can push it home and check the plug there. i know my 530 will sputter if i hammer the throttle hard in a higher gear at low rpms but it does it for a second and then wakes up and ***s off like the devil. but if i roll into the throttle its fine. so my guess is that with my tune im getting al ittle too much fuel when i just stab it at lokw rpms in higher gears because its the only time itll do it

fasterblaster02
07-13-2009, 08:56 PM
Yah i know how to check the plug, it was too black so i took it back to a 165. Also i took apart the carb and did find some dirt in it, i guess i need to be more careful when rejetting. :( i havent had a chance to run it yet tho. I dont think it was so rich that it wouldnt run right but it should run a little better now than it did with the 170. I hope the cutout is fixed, im thinking it was the dirt, it was so bad at one point i couldnt even get it to move in 1st. My buddies yfz with the fcr carb did the same thing and found it to be dirt in the carb....anyway i hope it is fixed because i have a trip to hatfield-mccoy next week!!

Evasiveone
07-13-2009, 10:06 PM
Also pull out the blue needle and go to the red needle. The Blue needle will be way too rich for the summer months.

towman
07-14-2009, 06:12 PM
do you have to change the needle my jet kit only cam with two main jets a 145 and 155 and told me to turn the air fuel screw out two turns

fasterblaster02
07-14-2009, 08:01 PM
Well I took her out today, it ran great!!:D but unfortunatetly it kept overheating on me and i just cleaned out the radiator good. I am running engine ice and no thermostat. I may try the thermostat again, it is really frustating me that it overheats all the time. Anyway, i need to check the plug and see how the jetting is. Anyone have any ideas for the overheating problem?

uchi
07-14-2009, 08:05 PM
I've never dealt with a liquid cooled quad. But if its like a car you'll want to burp the cooling system. Overheating could be an air bubble in the cooling system.

fasterblaster02
07-14-2009, 08:10 PM
yah you are right, it has a coolant bleed screw on the head. I may try that.

uchi
07-14-2009, 08:13 PM
Also make sure your fan is coming on

fasterblaster02
07-14-2009, 08:17 PM
the fan is definitely running...it seems like it runs all the time

uchi
07-14-2009, 08:21 PM
The fan is likely staying on because you don't have the thermostat in. I'd put the thermostat in and If you want it to run cooler drill a small hole in the side of it to let some coolent through it.

sheriff525
07-14-2009, 10:07 PM
My light was coming on all the time and also the fan. Well I burped the system and took out my thermostat. Now it hardly comes on and it runs great.

uchi
07-15-2009, 05:00 AM
Good to hear its fixed.

towman
07-18-2009, 09:39 PM
how do i ajust lean and rich????

uchi
07-19-2009, 06:24 AM
I've never seen these carbs but I know on my 400 there's a small screw on the bottom of the carb that you turn to adjust the fuel mixture. Its only good for small adjustments. If you need to make larger ones you need to change the jet

fasterblaster02
07-19-2009, 06:47 PM
on this carb you have to drill out a plug in the bottom of the bowl and i put a aftermarket fuel mix screw in. Also i would recommend the jd jetting kit, it really helped mine out.

towman
07-19-2009, 07:09 PM
what about the FMF power up kit