PDA

View Full Version : rear axle/carrier bearings??

tbrackman84
07-11-2009, 12:57 PM
is it complicated to change the rear carrier bearings or do you need any special tools or what??? I have limited knowledge but my friend is very good with quads... ANY info will help
thanks alot

TCracin440ex
07-11-2009, 01:29 PM
its not hard at all. loosen the jam nut on the right side of the axle, pop the snap ring out of the axle then take the brake caliper off. the b rake rotor and hub should slide right off. then take the snap ring off of the carrier itself that holds the brake caliper mount on..the axle should be ready to come out

far as the bearings ive always used a hammer and a punch and stuck the punch down in the carrier and stuck it on the backside of each bearing and beat on it...they will come out eventually

when installing just reverse those steps. make sure you buy 2 dust seals too. u use a socket bout the same size as the inner bearing race and beat the bearings back in until they are seated...make sure you use plenty of grease behind the bearings and on the bearings and in the axle tube

but i will forewarn you the stock carriers are junk. and dont go buy cheap bearings off ebay they wont last long and you will be doing the same thing again a few months down the road.

id really suggest saving a few coins and going and buying an aftermarket twin row carrier...they are alot better and will last alot longer as long as you keep them greased

TCracin440ex
07-11-2009, 01:33 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bearing-Carrier-HONDA-250R-400EX-ATV-H10_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a12Q7c66Q3a2Q7 c39Q3a1Q7c72Q3a1171Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZ p3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem4cea028019QQitemZ330343 546905QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

this is what i had in my 400ex. its still in my 400ex to this day. i know the boy that has the bike.

it was very worth the 105 dollars, plus its got a remote zerk so you can grease it without having to take the carrier out

here is the item number:

tbrackman84
07-11-2009, 02:50 PM
thanks alot i really appreciate it, i just bought the quad and i just have a summer job and i go to college in august so i plan on getting a dual carrier first thing this winter when i start working again

thanks laot though i appreciate the input

uchi
07-12-2009, 07:26 AM
im in the process of needing to do the bearings. gotta buy them and motivate myself to change them. lol.

killer400ex
07-12-2009, 10:59 AM
yeah i have my bearing carrier out, its a lonestar aluminum racing carrier, i got one bearing out fine but the otherside has bent 2 screwdriver heads allready so i think i might just take it to get pressed out and have the new double rollers put in, and those double roller suckers are mad expensive, the kit from lonestar which is the only one that is compattable with the carrier is about $85 with shipping and thats just bearings and seals

uchi
07-12-2009, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by killer400ex
yeah i have my bearing carrier out, its a lonestar aluminum racing carrier, i got one bearing out fine but the otherside has bent 2 screwdriver heads allready so i think i might just take it to get pressed out and have the new double rollers put in, and those double roller suckers are mad expensive, the kit from lonestar which is the only one that is compattable with the carrier is about $85 with shipping and thats just bearings and seals

thats a good price. my local place thats a honda distruboter wants 65 bucks per bearing and 16 bucks per seal.

killer400ex
07-12-2009, 07:06 PM
what!? thats ridiculous, ive never herd of that, i went to honda to see what some new bearrings would be and it was alot cheaper than that, that is insaine im sorry but your honda dealer is ripping you off soo bad, i would go aftermarket anyway, i need the double roller bearings anyway

h400exrider
07-12-2009, 09:29 PM
i had the same problem with my carrier bearings mine was pressed in so i used a rubber hammer and a long screw drive i know that is now what you need to use but it works i didn't hurt he old bearings at all but just saying make sure you grease and oil everything that is critical

beeze455
07-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Dont wait to do them because if you wait too long your carrier will eventually break.

I bought a billet carrier with bearings in it from east coast for $140 for my 300ex.

My 400ex already had a lonestar so I bought the lonestar bearings for 84 and they took them out and put the new ones in for 30 bucks.

I also did new sporckets and chains on both when I did it.

aDviSol2y
07-12-2009, 10:31 PM
put the carrier in the oven and heat up the aluminum. It will expand and the bearings will pop right out.

uchi
07-13-2009, 05:31 AM
oh yeah im not buying the bearings from them. we have a local place that will make me some for way cheaper. i just wanted to get an idea of what they were worth locally through the dealer. that price is insane lol.

i just need to find time to pull them apart, i promised my gf id teach her to ride the 400 and id like to before she looses interest :)

baker420ex
07-24-2009, 12:58 PM
don't overgrease or repetitively pump grease into your carrier or you'll blow out the seals.