PDA

View Full Version : First XC Race...any tips??

jkiserracing
07-11-2009, 11:05 AM
I going to run my first xc race tomorrow. Im actually an MX'er (which I still race) but Im entering my first xc race with a diffrent quad. So I know what I need to know for the mx track but have really no knowledge of the xc scene....any tips before I go that I can use.
Thanks,
Jimmy

nskukalek79
07-11-2009, 11:48 AM
just pace yourself...i would put skid plates on, wear a camel back and make sure your quads in good shape. i use my mx tires for XC races but most use woods tires...i like the mx tires for the track part of the race and just deal with the quad being low in the woods.

SHIFTx450
07-11-2009, 07:27 PM
get some Razr 2's, stay hydrated, pace yourself, and FINISH THE RACE! and good luck man

jkiserracing
07-11-2009, 08:37 PM
skid plates - check
camelback - check
bigger tires / wheels - check

Ok ill let you know how it went
Thanks

ppeengines
07-12-2009, 05:40 AM
Keep up a good pace. Take it easy on the first lap and watch peoples lines they are taking and see whats good and whats not. Dont get frustrated and all worked up in a bottle neck, this is where you catch your breath. And no matter what keep remember to keep taking drinks off your camel back. Its east to forget. If its a real muddy race get yourself some big handguards that look like elephant ears that velcro to your bars. You cant ride if you cant hold on. And most of all HAVE FUN!!!! GOOD LUCK TODAY!

jkiserracing
07-13-2009, 06:26 AM
Well....lot of fun...certainly different than mx thats for sure. I wasnt really sure what to expect. The coarse was 7.5 miles of north Georgia mountain trails. Lots of up hills down hills creek crossings very tight trails (which I was on my LTR so it was really really tight) My first lap was slow cause I didnt expect the trails to be quite as tight and/or rocky not to mention I got hung up in a huge rut that took me and 2 or 3 others to wedge me out. My next lap was tired...my last lap was the fastest. I excelled big time in the open areas or places that remotely resembled an mx track but those guys were faster than me in the woods.....it was a blast Ill definately do again. I came in 4th in my class.

Here is a link to some pics....thanks for the tips guys. I appreciate it.

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/orderpage.aspx?pi=03VE00ZI040100&po=100

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/orderpage.aspx?pi=03VE00ZI040037&po=37

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/orderpage.aspx?pi=03VE00ZI040168&po=168

ppeengines
07-13-2009, 08:12 AM
Thats awesome. Isnt it a blast? Its nothing like mx. I was whooped after my first race. Now for the next race if you can. Its time to narrow that front end down. If will improve your lap times not worrying if your gonna fit in some sections. Here is a shot for the first race I ever entered getting the holeshot. Good luck on anymore future races.

mysticfalcon
07-13-2009, 08:38 AM
I think one of the biggest things with XC is to figure out the right pace. My 1st Race I was 1st in class after 2 laps and called it quits because I went out and rode just as hard as I possibly could and I was too exhausted to ride anymore. I was leading by a lot when I quit but because I didnt pace myself I couldnt take anymore. With the lead I had I think I coulda probably won if Id gone slower and kept my body cooperating.

ppeengines
07-13-2009, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by mysticfalcon
I think one of the biggest things with XC is to figure out the right pace. My 1st Race I was 1st in class after 2 laps and called it quits because I went out and rode just as hard as I possibly could and I was too exhausted to ride anymore. I was leading by a lot when I quit but because I didnt pace myself I couldnt take anymore. With the lead I had I think I coulda probably won if Id gone slower and kept my body cooperating.

Your absolutely right. I got the holeshot and went about 8 more turns and I had arm pump that quick. I had to start pacing myself cuz i rode so hard those first couple turns that I knew my body wouldnt be able to last the whole race. You know in your mind if someone passes you and if you dont have the stamina you wont be able to pass him back. My brother raced GNCC for a couple years and he said the three most important things were to pace yourself, and to keep hydrated, and to get your shocks setup right for the your riding style. It helped me out.

mysticfalcon
07-13-2009, 02:40 PM
Im good with 2 and 3 but I still havent mastered #1. 4 races and 4 DNFs all due to exhaustion. But i did it all for fun and pushing myself that hard was fun.

jkiserracing
07-13-2009, 03:59 PM
Well I kept that "pace yorself" in my mind the entire race. My first lap in fact was probably too slow....my second is when I started getting tired but i used some of the down hills to loosen my grip (not the steep ones) and rest my arms as well as some of the more open flat trails (all though there were few) So my last lap was the fastest lap. Actually I was prepared to go one more lap. I didnt realize we were on our last lap when we were. I beleive if I could have gone one more I could have caught up to 2nd but who knows....it was fun though.....now my next mx race is Saturday...that should be pretty easy now huh......lol