PDA

View Full Version : need help really really bad with the clutch!

woodsracer144
07-10-2009, 07:25 PM
hey every one...
i have a huge problem with the clutch! it started yesterday when i down shifted and striped the shift lever out so i got to a dead stop and i didnt notice that i want in first and that i was in 3rd(it was a super hot day! and i didnt have much to drink... thats where i was headed...) anyways... i tried slippin the clutch and it just didnt work so i got my 4x4 out there and gave it a pull...

i got it home and pulled the clutch cover off and and i could smell the burnt fibers! so i got a new clutch and put it in and it starts up and it will go but if you pin it... it just revs out but it dont go faster... but it seems like the more you lug it the faster it will go? i dont know what the deal is....

so what do you think?

i didnt change the oil in it and that might be the problem but i dont have any oil that i use... i geuss i could use some ATF....

any help would be great! i need this for tomorrow!

thanks again!

Honda 250r 001
07-10-2009, 07:50 PM
clutch cable out of adjustment?

woodsracer144
07-10-2009, 08:01 PM
dont think so... im gonna go change the oil on it quick and check the adj. and then tell you...

mxduner
07-10-2009, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Honda 250r 001
clutch cable out of adjustment? check it and make sure it has free play 10mm i think.atf will be just fine, otherwise you need springs

woodsracer144
07-10-2009, 08:22 PM
ok so my clutch is compleatly loose on the cable... not tighten at all... and i changed the crank oil with Torco racing trans oil and it still did it... im running HD clutch springs... whats the deal?!? should i go back to stock? i noticed they were a little shorter then the stockers...

Honda 250r 001
07-10-2009, 08:37 PM
need more info, when you put the clutch in, did you put the steels and fibers? did you replace the springs? if not and they were blue colored, they are not as strong as they were new. The gear on the basket could have sheared the rivets and wont hold right.

woodsracer144
07-10-2009, 08:42 PM
ok... the springs where kinda a grey color... also i just put new steals in out of another set i got becuse the firbers were in good shape... they werent even worn... the gear and the basket are fine... i look them over good... its something to do with springs and the fibers and steals... mabie all 3

Honda 250r 001
07-10-2009, 09:51 PM
this is really odd Is the pressure plate bottoming out on the inner hub? I still think theres something wrong with the fibers, if you smoked the clutch, the fibers are gonna go first and the steels can be used over if sand blasted.

Did you check the plates to see if they were in spec? thickness? if you measure the thickness in mm i can check my clymer and see if there good.

woodsracer144
07-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Will I don't have a caliper to check it but if you took the thickness of the metal part of the fiber took a 3rd of it that. Was the fiber...it's about 1/16 of an inch on each side IIRC

fulltiltrider
07-11-2009, 07:03 AM
Its possible that you when you used 2 different clutch components that they are not adding up to the correct thickness you need. Also, did you soak those new fibers overnight before you installed them? You can try on more thing before you buy a new complete clutch, go to a dealer and buy 1 fiber for a 400ex. Its about twice the thikness of a 250r fiber. replace one of your fibers from the middle of the pack with it, that will take up some slack and should make it grab.

Research Neils clutch mod, Ive been using it for over 2 yrs with a cheap 40 dollar tusk clutch on my 310p/v and it still looks new lol.

woodsracer144
07-11-2009, 08:25 AM
i used the same fibers as i had before... just change out the steals... i tore it appart this morning agin and i pun one washer between the factory washer and spring... it helped a little but i think i have to have longer springs... from the other basket i have but i think that the springs i got are the 86 style(in my hona ook it says 86 were shorter and the 89 were longer... i have a 89 bottom end and clutch and all that so i think i need some longer springs or put another wash in the mix... it was like riddin on a mini CTV drive... you would pinn int and it would just scream but not move very fast... no i can some what spin my tires in thedrive way... before i could do this about 1/4 throttle now its WTFO to do it....

Honda 250r 001
07-11-2009, 09:35 AM
fulltilt has a good point, if its too thin the pressure plate wont put enough pressure on the pack, causing it to slip. If your clutch was truely smoked. You should have prolly put new springs in it also. Thats what i would try next.

250r grave yard
07-11-2009, 02:00 PM
the pressure plate may not be on correctly it wil fit on no matter which way you put it but if its not tight up against the fibers then it will slip just take the pressure plate and turn it to every pattern till it fits tight

woodsracer144
07-11-2009, 03:28 PM
yeah im not sure.... my luck its a mixture of all three.... i need to get a clutch gasket for it though...

250r grave yard
07-11-2009, 07:12 PM
if the one you have is in good condition just go to your local automotive store and get some gasket material the rubber texture kind( comes in a roll ) they have it on the shelf basicaly can make any gasket besides the head gasket same material as cometic gasket dont know if its the same thicknesss but ive done it many of times and had no problem with them they hold up the same as cometic gasket just need a razor knife and a hole puch set from the auto store and for added protection get some copper spray good for head gasket app if reusing (or a can of black spray paint ) works great