PDA

View Full Version : How many of you use Craigslist?

Ryan
07-10-2009, 06:45 PM
I ask this because im wondering if im trying to sell something at the wrong place . Everyone I talk to around here uses Craigslist. Im just starting to use it. One thing I noticed is that there wasn't much atv parts on there at all. My problem is, me and a buddy of mine have a tractor trailer load full of old parts for atvs, atc's, snowmobiles and other stuff. I was hoping I could sell a majority of parts locally without shipping everything. So im just wondering how many have you boughten stuff from there, more importantly - motorcyle/atv parts. I just was suprised.... I seen everything from houses&cars to silverware&toiletpaper on there. But not so much atv parts....? Maybe im doing something wrong?

derekhonda
07-10-2009, 07:13 PM
just always deal in person, and prepare yourself to get a ton of spam email and automated phone calls if you list your number.

In fact, I created just a craigslist email through yahoo just because so much junk came in i didn't want it in a clean email account.

KevinAb
07-10-2009, 07:31 PM
We use it all the time, mostly on the buying side. Bought my 400ex, my kids quad, washer and dryer, stove, parts, kids toys, riding mower... Most of the stuff we get rid of on there has been give away stuff- used mattress, old stove that didn't work. But I did sell my trailer on there for $3400.

We love craigslist.

byrdman37876
07-10-2009, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by derekhonda
just always deal in person, and prepare yourself to get a ton of spam email and automated phone calls if you list your number.

In fact, I created just a craigslist email through yahoo just because so much junk came in i didn't want it in a clean email account.

yeah no *****. i posted a house for my buddy now i am getting emails left and right.

pretty fun though i have a special message that i have saved on excel that i copy and paste for theirs. :D

KevinAb
07-10-2009, 07:36 PM
List your stuff as parts specific- ie handle bars for a 400ex. If you want to sell the whole lot in one sell, you'll have a hard time, unless you get specific about what's there.

To get the most $$$, itemize and list it on ebay individually, it could be some work if you have a lot of stuff, but you'll end up with more $$$ in your pocket.

What do you have? How much stuff? just random crap or what?

tri5ron
07-10-2009, 07:41 PM
I use it all the time, and have bought a few atv parts there as well.
tT reduce the amount of spam recieved, when you post your ad, do not use there anonymous email service.
Instead, list your email in the description, and break it up with spaces or dashes like this: myemail - (at) - yahoo - (dot) - com

then instruct any responders to take out the spaces, dashes, and use the correct @ and . symbols.

This will almost eliminate any spyware/webcrawlers that are programed to look for emails within the text of your ad.

also, clearly state that you will only respond to emails that have "muffler on cl", or "rear wheel on cl" , or whatever it is that you are selling, in the title of their email to you.

Make sure that your required "title" is different than the title you used to list it on Craigslist.
That way, when you recieve an email with the Required Title, you will know that it is most probably coming from an actual person who read the ad, as opposed to an automatically generated email.

and DO NOT accept any mailed checks. they ARE from real accounts that have been hijacked by a scammer, and the banks are having a hell of a time with them.

Hope this helps,
Ron

ProspectorJim
07-10-2009, 07:53 PM
I used craigslist to buy my raptor...and then sell it after a couple months for $1000 more than I paid. Just have to find the right buyer. Craigslist is a waiting game.

Yee-Haw_400EX
07-10-2009, 07:55 PM
http://fayar.craigslist.org/rvs/1216373595.html

QuadJunkies
07-10-2009, 08:22 PM
We sold our Blaster there. I use them quite a bit.

S.A.J
07-10-2009, 08:35 PM
I traded my 400ex for a dirtbike and my 450r for a dirtbike on there,now trying to sell my dirtbike on there. Also bought 2 400ex's,a rincon 650,and i think a foreman 500 also,forgot if we got one from there or not,we bought several lil while ago.

Its good stuff

Ntensweapon
07-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Craigslist is great. I've sold a quad on there. I check the posts there daily.

I own rental properties and have been listing my units on there. I stopped posting ads in the newspaper and posting signs..with better results.

Like other have said. There is alot of spam and phishing but you can weed through it pretty easy. Craigslist is an excellent marketing tool. I would try it first then to ebay.

boyntonracing
07-10-2009, 10:48 PM
On craigslist you can buy and sell things really cheap.. thats why i use it, i buy something fix it up and sell it.. With all of your parts i would post it on craigslist it would take too much time and money for ebay. Post most of the quad ones on here, i know everybody is always looking for used parts, just like me

SRH
07-10-2009, 10:51 PM
pshh i hate craigslist ive sold a few things there but there is roaches that sit on there ive got numerous ads flagged because what im selling is 5-800 cheaper than the next guy, plus you might as well put no trades and not include a email or youll get guys wanting to trade beer kegs and neon signs, and tire kickers....serious buyers always call, i have better luck with the local want ads than craigslist, craigslist is majority of deal seekers and low ballers in comparison to other classifieds

Ryan
07-10-2009, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the tips... I've listed mine as parts specific. I just did a search on there for some specific parts and didn't seem to find to much on there. I guess i'll just wait and see... I have only put a few things on there, such as 250r fenders, stock banshee pipes/silencers, 400ex rear fenders, 250x stator, 450r tie rod, 250ex front end (shocks,arms,prm skids) ect. My buddy is the one with most of these parts that him and his brothers accumulated over many years. Theres a mint lt250r, tons of 3-wheeler parts (lots of 200x stuff that I know of), a bunch of quad parts, some street bike parts, tons of snowmobile parts, and I think I seen an STI exhuast in there too, haha. Hes got alot of stuff, I really gotta go through all of it.

I dont plan to be able to get rid of everything. But I figured if I put 20 parts up at a time, then i'll definitly get something out of it. I hope.

Kickstarts-suck
07-10-2009, 11:37 PM
I love Craigslist. I bought both my trucks from there and sold my old truck on there.

My dad traded his old truck for a little 4cyl 5 speed car on craigslist also.

Never had any problems.

sunco
07-11-2009, 07:45 AM
I've bought stuff, but I go get it. Never have anything shipped. I've gone & looked at some quads & they were not what they advertized. The pix were not what I actually saw when i got there either. Like anything you take your chances. Good luck selling a whole trailer full of stuff. It don't seem to me like fun.

07-12-2009, 09:51 AM
i use craigs list all the time