PDA

View Full Version : Not Another Carb. Thread......

honda400-4-ever
07-10-2009, 04:20 PM
I need help figuring out which carb i should get?? I found that their is 4 carbs that give the 400 i little more juice.... Lectron, Klein FCR, 450r carb, and Edelbrock (Not the one for the 440). Which carb gives the best bang for the $$$, easiest installation, and most performance??

BEAVER.989
07-10-2009, 04:23 PM
My research has lead me to believe the 450R is the best bang for the buck, while the FCR offers the best performance and easiest installation.

matt14c
07-10-2009, 04:48 PM
I would agree that the 450 carb is the best bang for your buck at $100-150. The FCR is a little costly but I liked the one I had. It took a little to get tuned just right but that was before I knew of this site and there is alot of help here for a newbie or someone to set one up. I picked up a 450 carb but havent used it yet so cannot comment on the peformance but from what I have read from others its extremely good for the price. Before I bought the FCR 39mm about 5 years back I read alot and was intrigued by the Edlebrock but I read alot of bad stuff about them. Definitly more bad than good.

buster024
07-10-2009, 05:16 PM
Strictly bang for the buck, the 450 carb is what you are looking for. I've never had personal experience with the Edlebrock, but have only heard bad things about tuning it. The 450 carb gave a great snap to the throttle, it jets easy, and is a snap to install (especially with ZRPILOT's adapter).

honda400-4-ever
07-10-2009, 08:15 PM
how does the adapter stay on their because i saw pictures of it and it was just a chunk of metal that slid of the intake port. also when you have to tap into the breather tube on the top is their already a hole on the side of it that u just put the hose onto??

zrpilot
07-11-2009, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by honda400-4-ever
how does the adapter stay on their because i saw pictures of it and it was just a chunk of metal that slid of the intake port. also when you have to tap into the breather tube on the top is their already a hole on the side of it that u just put the hose onto??
The adapter is designed to be a slight press fit and when combined with a light coat of RTV, they stay in place!
The carb vent is (not really a breather) located on the top. Once the carb is installed you will pinch off this vent hose with the gas tank UNLESS you relocate it to the side. It is as simple as plugging off the old one and drilling out the existing, all ready cast-in, side vent.

The 450R carb is the best bang for the buck, easiest to tune, most widely used carb upgrade for the 400EX. It will work on a stock motor and allow the rider to grow into more mods and not have to change the carb.

I would do it again on my 400EX!

honda400-4-ever
07-21-2009, 11:09 AM
if u buy a new 450r carb from service honda is it already assembled??

zrpilot
07-21-2009, 12:18 PM
if u buy a new 450r carb from service honda is it already assembled??

Yes it is!

The only thing you will have to do is to change jets to match your setup.

honda400-4-ever
07-21-2009, 12:21 PM
how big is the 450r?? mm wise

zrpilot
07-21-2009, 12:28 PM
how big is the 450r?? mm wise
42MM

Snipe
07-21-2009, 01:09 PM
Best bang for the buck yeah but one thing you have to remember all bikes are different. And not all have great response to the 450 carb, I installed one and ended up back at stock selling my 450 carb as it didnt do a thing for my bike. After swapping back to stock I actually went up in jet sizes from the 450 carb was running a 172 in it and im running a 178 in the stocker.

When it comes to air and gas mixture every bike is different and not all will respond to these upgrades in the way others do. just something to think about.

honda400-4-ever
07-21-2009, 01:39 PM
well if 98% of people who think this carb is a good upgrade from stock and 2% say it garbage must people will listen to the 98% of people!!!

zrpilot
07-21-2009, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Snipe
Best bang for the buck yeah but one thing you have to remember all bikes are different. And not all have great response to the 450 carb, I installed one and ended up back at stock selling my 450 carb as it didnt do a thing for my bike. After swapping back to stock I actually went up in jet sizes from the 450 carb was running a 172 in it and im running a 178 in the stocker.

When it comes to air and gas mixture every bike is different and not all will respond to these upgrades in the way others do. just something to think about.

I would have tried bigger jets in the 450R carb.

But honestly Snipe, you may be one of the FEW that the 450R carb did not work well for. It could have been the carb you were using.

It is still a good upgrade to make and allows you to do other mods and the carb will "grow" with you.

Snipe
07-21-2009, 02:52 PM
No I had jetted to the point of running rich in the 450R carb it just wasn't ment for my motor, with the stocker on I had to go bigger to get it to run right, it was running lean.

As for as the 98% crack it is just a point on every motor is different, buy what ever you want.

IMO on my quad it wasnt worth the time money and bull**** of installing one. yours might be different.

But have to remember your only gonna take in the amount of air the the cylinder allows, the intake on the motor isnt changing in size so no matter how big you make the intake its only gonna accept so much air.

Only thing you might feel a difference in is throttle response but honestly thats it.

honda400-4-ever
07-21-2009, 03:02 PM
doesnt the 450r carb have a accelerator pump

zrpilot
07-21-2009, 03:30 PM
doesnt the 450r carb have a accelerator pump
yes it does

zrpilot
07-21-2009, 03:44 PM

But have to remember your only gonna take in the amount of air the the cylinder allows, the intake on the motor isnt changing in size so no matter how big you make the intake its only gonna accept so much air.

Not really accurate. The fact the 450R carb is bigger then stock is not the reason the 400EX runs better with a 450R carb. The reasons are many, but for example, the 450R carb vacuum signal / response curve is COMPLETELY different then the stock carb.

Snipe
07-21-2009, 04:15 PM
But then you come back to my bike in question. It didnt do a thing it actually hurt performance than anything, dont know if it was a fluke carb or perhaps I just got a really good motor from the manu. or other things,

All my point was is every motor is different and not all bikes respond well to the 450 carb.

I think the best one to get would be the FCR

zrpilot
07-21-2009, 04:20 PM
But then you come back to my bike in question. It didnt do a thing it actually hurt performance than anything, dont know if it was a fluke carb or perhaps I just got a really good motor from the manu. or other things,

All my point was is every motor is different and not all bikes respond well to the 450 carb.

I think the best one to get would be the FCR

I don't doubt that you couldn't get it to run on your motor.

And the FCR (I know, I had one) is MUCH more expensive, MUCH harder to tune, and just not cost effective for the hassle and performance gains, in my opinion.

Snipe
07-21-2009, 07:12 PM
To me it would be easier to tune than the edle I hear unless its done by a pro or time and money well spent on a dyno tune its damn near impossible to get it set right.

The 450R carb is just like working on the 400ex carb not to many difference's in them same jets and same thing basicly if you can take apart and assemble the 400 you can do the 450