PDA

View Full Version : racing motors

IRISH-RACER-14
07-10-2009, 07:22 AM
what would it cost if i got a stock 300ex motor and sent it to be built for mx racing?who builds engines?
thanks

deathman53
07-11-2009, 07:30 PM
you'd have to call some places and tell them what you want. Prices are gonna vary alot. Not to be against you having more motor, but have you thought about the chassis at all? Power is no good if you can't put it effectively to the ground. If your chassis isn't widened(spacers don't count as the right way), properly suspended, good bearings and good tires, all the power in the world won't do any good.

IRISH-RACER-14
07-11-2009, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
you'd have to call some places and tell them what you want. Prices are gonna vary alot. Not to be against you having more motor, but have you thought about the chassis at all? Power is no good if you can't put it effectively to the ground. If your chassis isn't widened(spacers don't count as the right way), properly suspended, good bearings and good tires, all the power in the world won't do any good. u didnt answer my question u just told me that my spacers are no good

deathman53
07-11-2009, 08:52 PM
There is different stages of head port jobs, different cams, rocker arms may need to be hardened($100 each), different brand of pistons cost more or less, valve springs. You probably will have to get a aftermarket carb to match the flow of the head. For the rest of motor, you may need a new clutch basket, new clutch plates and springs, rebuild the crank or a new crank for the increases stress. There is alot there to think about, new crank bearings/seals, cam chain and tensioner. Cost will add up quickly and the big one.....shop labor rate. My friend who had a shop, did most regular 4 stroke complete rebuilds for $1000 and up, now this is just stock. You can easily reach 3g's, depending on what you want done. Also keep in mind, the more wild you make it, the less reliable it will be and may need race gas. I don't think anybody could give you a price even over the phone. When the motor is torn down you often find stuff needing attention.

Curtis sparks, TC, Lrd, duncan, ct and c-leigh are just a few to get a approximate cost from.

boyntonracing
07-15-2009, 12:18 AM
This dude above me ^^^ is basically right. Just throwing this out there, with the money you can spend on rebuilding your motor, you can buy a 450... Just saying man, but if you feel the need to rebuild it, Call up Area 51. They built steve tutt's motor, steve went to pikes peaks his very first year ever racing it, and basically beat the record in the pro 450 class by over a minute.. Ya i know, bad ***! Area 51 is one of my main sponsors, you can't go wrong.. But this question is very hard to answer due to the fact that you didn't give out the best info on what all you want and like how much you want to spend, and what kind of setup you have like shock wise, and how you will get the power to the ground, like the dude above me ^^ you will be ran anywhere from 500 to 3,000 probably more just depending on what you want, so tell us a little more info so we can correctly answer your question. thanks.