PDA

View Full Version : clutch slippin????

cannondale4life
07-09-2009, 10:23 PM
hey i just got a 250r and im noticing the clutch slipping,the guy i got it off of told me he has synthetic oil for bottom end oil,not sure if this is good or bad just wondering what would cause it to slipp sorry for the newb question haha try to bare with me any input would be well appreciated

Honda 250r 001
07-10-2009, 08:12 AM
im not an expert on oils, but i wouldnt run car oil in it. IF your running the stock cylinder on a stock clutch it should be fine. Maybe its time for a clutch rebuild. I would start by changing the oil to a good high performance gear oil.

cannondale4life
07-10-2009, 08:52 AM
yea thats probly what im gonna do but im not sure what is a good oil to run??

Motofool250r
07-10-2009, 08:57 AM
are we sure the cable is adjusted properly first?

synthetic oil shouldn't cause it to slip only worn or improperly adjusted clutch cable should do that

Motofool250r
07-10-2009, 08:59 AM
ive ran everything from type f ATF and regular engine oil

get some maxima gear oil from the motorcycle shop or go to honda n grab some honda gear oil off the shelf if your that worried.

we use Brad Penn fully sythetic oil in our 250rs that we run in oregon

cannondale4life
07-10-2009, 11:54 AM
ok well how will i know if its adjusted improperly

woodsracer144
07-10-2009, 01:35 PM
well... for me... me when my clutches were junk... i could put it in gear and have the clutch pulled in and revved it and it would start to go foward...(cable would be all the way adjusted) also... i would hardly move that fast when i would hit the gas pinned... its wasnt as peppy....

Motofool250r
07-10-2009, 06:02 PM
can you wiggle your clutch lever without pulling the cable is ther a small amount of play so that the lever is not in tension with the clutch while you dont have it pulled in?

you should have 1/8" or so play meaning you can wiggle the lever in and out and the cable is not being pulld yet.

if the cable is in tension its constantly pulling pressure off the clutches so they slip.

a clutch rebuild is not that costly or challenging to do. the biggest question is the basket worn enough that you need a new one. that would cost you 125-150$ for a new aftermarket basket,

cannondale4life
07-10-2009, 08:36 PM
my adjustments seem correct the quad almost seems like it doesnt get up n go like it should like the clutch is slipping it kinda feels like its holding back????i guess ill just try different oil is bel ray gear saver 80 weight a good bottom end oil?

Motofool250r
07-11-2009, 02:52 AM
try the oil but id put money on it wont change anything. belray is good stuff so is maxima

fulltiltrider
07-11-2009, 06:54 AM
If the guy used a synthetic oil made for a car, yes it will slip. Car synthetics are full of anti friction additives. Synthetic oils like belray and maxima are made for your tranny. Id drain it and replace it with atf. Atf will make your clutch grab harder than any oil out there, its drawbacks are it wont last long. I use it but change it every 2 rides or so, but in doing so you keep your tranny very clean. You will get a million opinons on this with no real wrong answers, as long as we are not talking about any car oils.

If this doesnt work, try Neils clutch mod, that will make it grab for sure

cannondale4life
07-11-2009, 05:33 PM
ok but what kind of atf

fulltiltrider
07-13-2009, 04:18 PM
dexeron 3, any brand. I use the advanced auto brand, its 11bucks for the big 5 quart jug

cannondale4life
07-13-2009, 04:47 PM
would yuns advise using bel ray gear saver or atf and this is a dumb question but how much bottom end oil do these motors take

woodsracer144
07-13-2009, 05:52 PM
they are both good choices to me! there isnt much oil in the bottom end... i think its .73 Qt's but i had about 14 oz of oil and it came pouring out the check bolt( i have it out when i full it so i know when to stop then i put a little shot once i put it back in...

cannondale4life
07-13-2009, 08:06 PM
tok i think ill go with the bel ray ill probly get it tommorow but man i hope this is why my clutch is slippin

fulltiltrider
07-13-2009, 09:00 PM
No matter what you use, remember this. A thicker oil that says it is meant to protect, necissarily is not going to help your slipping at all. Picture how a clutch works, now if you have a heavy oil in there its trying to keep a layer between each of the fibers and steels. This is why atf grabs so well, its really thin, yet is made to protect gears. You may not want to use atf since it needs changed so often but, I would try it first and see if it solves the problem before you go spend 20 bucks on a bottle of high grade oil then find it did nothing and have to drain it right out.

cannondale4life
07-14-2009, 09:28 AM
ok but idk what is the best atf to get