PDA

View Full Version : Purpose of removable screen in exhaust?

rinaldi
07-09-2009, 07:36 PM
I have an AC full system and the pipe has a removable screen at the outlet of the exhaust can. Does this thing serve any purpose? I had an aluminum cannister from AC but it did not have the screen. I had swapped the aluminum can for a black can due to knicks and the new one has the screen. I removed it but was not sure what it really does.

matt14c
07-09-2009, 07:52 PM
That screen is your spark arrestor. If you race or just ride on private property that your not worried about then sure take it out. But if riding any public orv trails or anything you will need it.

killer400ex
07-10-2009, 10:25 PM
mine didnt do squat, the only thing it changed wat the power,i have a full hmf sport series and the only thing my spark arrestor or "quiet core" did was reduce power, not sound

honda400-4-ever
07-10-2009, 10:26 PM
do u have to rejet with the "quiet core" removed??

matt14c
07-10-2009, 10:33 PM
I dont have HMF but I dont think that the quiet core and spark arrestor are the same thing. Depending how close your jetting was while the core was on you may have to rejet. I know when you remove the stock insert you had to rejet so you have have to with an aftermarket. They dont seem like much them little screens but supposedly help an awful lot and can save you and alot of money if riding orv trails!

rob_990
07-10-2009, 10:33 PM
you might want to go up a size.i downsized when i put one in

killer400ex
07-10-2009, 11:28 PM
honestly they dont make that much of a difference, the only noticeable is loss of power thought the rpm range, there is no point in using it imo, the y might make it 1 db. difference but thats just stupid, they are still going to hear you if your revving it or riding hard, no matter what exhaust you use, even stock, if you ride easy then you should be fine, just dont be retarded basically and you should be fine

07-11-2009, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by killer400ex
honestly they dont make that much of a difference, the only noticeable is loss of power thought the rpm range, there is no point in using it imo, the y might make it 1 db. difference but thats just stupid, they are still going to hear you if your revving it or riding hard, no matter what exhaust you use, even stock, if you ride easy then you should be fine, just dont be retarded basically and you should be fine

THE SPARK ARRESTOR IS NOT FOR SOUND PURPOSES.

Damn people I'm amazed at how many of you actually think that spark arrestor is the same thing as a quiet core. They are completely different. All the spark arrestor does is keep sparks/chunks of metal from shooting out of the exhaust. They require this on legal trails, because on rare occasions the sparks can start fires. Now the quiet core is nothing more then a smaller hole so the sound output is reduced.

Pipeless416
07-11-2009, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
THE SPARK ARRESTOR IS NOT FOR SOUND PURPOSES.

Damn people I'm amazed at how many of you actually think that spark arrestor is the same thing as a quiet core. They are completely different. All the spark arrestor does is keep sparks/chunks of metal from shooting out of the exhaust. They require this on legal trails, because on rare occasions the sparks can start fires. Now the quiet core is nothing more then a smaller hole so the sound output is reduced.

thank you.. i wouldn't have been so nice :p

killer400ex
07-11-2009, 11:36 AM
ok ******* i wasnt talking about the ****ing spark arrestor, i was just making a statement that the screen makes no sound difference because ppl were asking, stupid banshee rider, figures i guess, and i was comparing it to a quiet core that i got with my hmf that doesnt make any difference either, its still stupid loud, god why do you people think that just because you know a thing or two about quads that your king ****? please i could embarras anybody on here when it came to any quad or bike or whatever, im a TECHNICIAN i think i know a thing or two about the stupid spark arrestor

killer400ex
07-11-2009, 11:38 AM
and if you could read retard then you would have realized that we were talking about the quiet core not just the spark arrestor

07-11-2009, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by killer400ex
ok ******* i wasnt talking about the ****ing spark arrestor, i was just making a statement that the screen makes no sound difference because ppl were asking, stupid banshee rider, figures i guess, and i was comparing it to a quiet core that i got with my hmf that doesnt make any difference either, its still stupid loud, god why do you people think that just because you know a thing or two about quads that your king ****? please i could embarras anybody on here when it came to any quad or bike or whatever, im a TECHNICIAN i think i know a thing or two about the stupid spark arrestor

Woah-hoo someones feisty. Chill ******.

In this sentence, you sound like you're saying it's the spark arrestors fault for the loss in power.

I know someone mentioned a quiet core, but the thread is about spark arrestors so why did you come in this thread? No one cares about what the hell your quiet core does. He was asking about a spark arrestor.

And ohhhhhh, I guess you're a genius because you are a technician. That doesn't mean crap to me. Most technicians at dealers and such are dumb as rocks, and barely know how to put an engine together. So that doesn't tell me much. I'm willing to bet that I am just as smart or smarter of a mechanic then your average dealership mechanic.

Seriously dude you need to chill and stop being a whiny sob. :ermm:

07-11-2009, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
thank you.. i wouldn't have been so nice :p

You're welcome:p

07-11-2009, 01:02 PM
Oh and yes I am a stupid banshee rider and damn proud of it:blah:

honda400-4-ever
07-11-2009, 02:25 PM
take your guys drama somewhere else. so does the spark arrestor affect your performance??

07-11-2009, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by honda400-4-ever
take your guys drama somewhere else. so does the spark arrestor affect your performance??

Nope, it does not:D All it's for is blocking sparks and fragments of metal from exiting the exhaust. I mean, the slight restriction it does create isn't enough to be noticeable, maybe .1 horsepower less, haha. So no, they're good to have and it makes mr park ranger happy because you won't create no forest fires.

matt14c
07-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Well said DMC!