PDA

View Full Version : Having problems & need ideas

buster024
07-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Yo all,
So after my last ride, I decided to bump up my pilot jet from 50 to 52 based on an ever-so-slight bog off the line. I've got a 450 carb installed, and have loved it since I installed it. So far it's got a 180 (keihen) main, and now a 52 pilot.
After I installed the new 52 pilot, I took it for a spin up the block, and at about quarter throttle, or right around where my midrange (and sparks key usually hit) it just completely cuts out. It sputters, and completely just loses all power. It rifles pretty good off the line, but once the mid range hits, it's toast. I couldn't believe the 52 pilot could do that much "damage", so I dropped the 50 back in, and now have exactly the same sputter. I didn't change anything else. I'm at a loss.....I checked my Big Gun rev box, and put my stock one back in just to make sure it wasn't toast, and there was no change.

WTF.....any ideas?

aDviSol2y
07-09-2009, 09:34 PM
I had the same problem and it baffled me for weeks! Try taking your outerwear off your K&N. Mine was sucking so much air it just finally one day said my outerwear needed to be replaced. I felt like an idiot when I finally figured it out.

aDviSol2y
07-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Buster where do you ride?

buster024
07-09-2009, 09:48 PM
Good idea on the Outerwears cover. I actually just put that thing back on. That has to be it....I didn't even think about that. That is really going to p*ss me off if thats it. I've spent about 4 hours screwin' with that thing.

As far as ridin', I love riding over at Lake Billy Chinook, Mcubbins Gulch, Chinahat, Jones Creek (outside of Camas, not the one by Browns Camp)......basically anywhere I can with the exception of Browns camp, and Sandlake....those places are death traps, and suck yogurt through straws. If you've never been to McCubbins Gulch, it's a great place (although a little rocky), and there are about a million miles of trails over at Lake Billy.
I'm riding saturday (assuming I can get the bike running) down around the Bohemia mine system down by Creswell or Cottage Grove. I've never been there, so I'm looking forward to it.
I've been to alot of different places in Oregon, so if you're ever looking for something different, let me know! I ride virtually trails only (400's suck in the sand).

aDviSol2y
07-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Ya Im not really a sand rider. I've been wanting to ride at the culch but never been. Been to Chinahat a long time ago along with Milican. Im gonna have to try out Lake billy. Let me know how the bohemia mine is. I grew up riding in the coast range just west of corvallis. Used to be lots of trails but no one really rides there any more so its all over grown. Been to borring browns a ton with the in-laws. Usually camp at Lee's camp though. I would not mind if I never went back. But thats where my wifes family always goes for some reason. They are afraid of something new I guess. Is Jones Creek cool? I actually live in Vancouver and have heard of it but never gone. Let me know if that outerwear was the problem, and ya its gonna p*ss you off if it was that!

buster024
07-09-2009, 10:45 PM
Jones Creek is okay. Nothing fantastic, but it's enough riding to keep you busy. They have a pretty cool trail that a bunch of prisoners made using brick pavers. It's pretty fun to haul a** up the hills slidin' all over the place on the pavers. It's most fun in the spring and fall when it's a little wet (like most trail riding). There's some really cool trail systems out past Mcminville called Upper Nestucca trail system. Google it, and you can call the Forest Ranger and get a good trail map. They have marked and named trails that tell you the difficulty. Don't go down Saddam's Revenge. Quads can't get down it.....you almost need repelling gear to get down it! :D

aDviSol2y
07-10-2009, 08:17 AM
My sister and brother in-law go to nestucca all the time. I've never been. My issue is, I'm married, have a 2 year old and my wife is a full time student. So for about another year untill my wife is done with school, I have to pick and choose when I can go riding due to lack of time and funds. But I think Im going to go on a day trip with the old lady up to the gulch here soon.

buster024
07-10-2009, 05:14 PM
Well, unbelievably enough....the stinkin' Outerwears cover was the culprit. I can't believe I screwed with that thing for so long, and it was the g-dam cover the whole time. I wouldn't have thought that an old one of those would restrict it so much, but she fired right up, and bombed up the road once I took it off. Thanks for the tip, and good luck at the Gulch! I've got a wife and 2 month old boy as well, so I hear ya' about pickin' and choosin' where to ride.
Good luck!!

aDviSol2y
07-12-2009, 03:08 PM
That is awsome that the outerwears was the problem. Glad I could help. I'm goin to the gulch on the 24th. I have a weddign to go to in Lapine, so Im gonna take a day off of work and go a day early. I will let you knwo what I think.

bigd's ex
07-12-2009, 06:01 PM
Buster, you have to get out & ride more "Bro", cause that crash counter has been stuck on 7 for awhile now. LOL :devil:

killer400ex
07-12-2009, 07:32 PM
yeah, i had a problem like this once, accept it was after i had just got done rebuilding the motor so it really freaked me out, like you have no idea lol, but after i figured it out i just decided to get the box lid cover instead of the air filter cover, so even if the outer wear box cover gets dirty it will still run fine

buster024
07-13-2009, 05:56 PM
Buster, you have to get out & ride more "Bro", cause that crash counter has been stuck on 7 for awhile now. LOL

I don't count the slow moving rollovers anymore....only the real epic yard sales. :devil:

But, I'd trade 7 more crashes for more riding time!!

bigd's ex
07-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by buster024
I don't count the slow moving rollovers anymore....only the real epic yard sales. :devil:

But, I'd trade 7 more crashes for more riding time!!

I'm with ya on that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL