PDA

View Full Version : air box

trx_raw
07-09-2009, 04:29 PM
my friend read about putting on a HA-4099 K&N 400EX air filter on his ltr450 and how much it increases power for a cheap price. he installed and was amazed by the price and how easily it fit right on. i was just wondering if anyone has heard of such a way to do the same to my 08' trx 450, by removing the box and installing it the filter straight up to the intake tube.

timmersam
07-09-2009, 04:34 PM
It will increase power because its easier for the filter to get air in the open atmosphere. But when you look at the situation you have to ask your self is it worth it. Think about the dust that your filter will be exposed to like that. A short term gain could equal to long term pain in this case. Your better off pulling the lid and putting a K&N filter cover over it, the power difference between no box and no lid will not even be noticable.

Sam

trx_raw
07-09-2009, 04:37 PM
ya dude i get what you mean so im not going to do that cuz i want my bike to last

ltrdan
07-11-2009, 10:26 AM
lol yes, that's why you clean it after every ride, it's not that hard. and the k&n actually filters quite well. it's not going to wreck anything as long as you keep good maintenance on it. lol and about your, "no box" the same as "no lid" is bs. why would there not be more power? obviously more air is being let into the intake now.

Ryan'07400ex
07-11-2009, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by ltrdan
and about your, "no box" the same as "no lid" is bs. why would there not be more power? obviously more air is being let into the intake now.

Well make sure you jet it correctly or "no lid" could be better. Just more air wont make more power.

ltrdan
07-13-2009, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Ryan'07400ex
Well make sure you jet it correctly or "no lid" could be better. Just more air wont make more power.

for my bike this works great, FI , for the trx yes you'll need to jet it differently

timmersam
07-13-2009, 05:39 PM
You seriously think that the difference in power is worth the possibility of damage to the motor? How much more hp do you think you are going to produce between the two? I have seen dirt on the inside of a k&n filter before the end of a day of riding, and the filter was just cleaned prior to leaving.

Sam

ltrdan
07-14-2009, 01:41 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by timmersam
You seriously think that the difference in power is worth the possibility of damage to the motor? How much more hp do you think you are going to produce between the two? I have seen dirt on the inside of a k&n filter before the end of a day of riding, and the filter was just cleaned prior to leaving.

Sam

look at any filter lol it's going to get dirty. k&n actually filters out well. who cares if you have to clean it every ride, it only takes 30 min to clean and re oil, and for the price of the k&n and the power upgrade it was definitely worth it. check it out for your self, it depends on riding conditions mainly, obviously.

timmersam
07-14-2009, 07:10 PM
Obviously every filter gets dirty, but what happens when you are in extremely dry, dusty conditions? If you are running K&N there is a very good chance you will suck some into the motor with no air box. I have seen it twice where the inside of a brand new K&N was dirty by the end of the first day riding. I clean my filter after every ride. the point that I am trying to make is that if given the choice between no lid and no box it is better to choose no lid because the cons greatly outwiegh the pros, simply because the power difference will be so little. Just my .02

Sam

boyntonracing
07-15-2009, 12:08 AM
first of all, running a k & N filter in dirty conditions, is a bad idea! thats why you see pro's and many of the smarter racers running foam, it actually catches the dust and dirt and if you actualy clean your bike after every ride you won't really have a problem with dirt. I have cut my whole are box off, even though i race, and it was really to conserve weight, it was one the better decisions on my quad, if you are racing, cut your box and take off the lid, if you are mudding or trail riding, keep box on or lid. I drove my 450r race bike in the dunes with no box and a k & N with pro design cover on it, it did fine. Just make sure you have everything tight so the filter don't fall out and clean it.. Most people don't know much about atv's they only know enough to ride them and change the oil.. Which they probably don't do after every ride like they should.. So honestly if they don't know much about the air filters i wouldn't even take their advice they shoulldn't even be on this forum, i am pretty disapointed when i started reading most of the info on this post.. Its your quad do what you want, if you cut the box always clean your bike after every ride, but if you are lazy and don't care about your bike, then i would leave it on.. Its common sense..

timmersam
07-15-2009, 01:45 AM
Haha really? Dont know much about air filters? Seriously, what is there to know about filters? They filter foreign debris from the intake air before it enters the combustion chamber, end of story. The only difference is the way in which the filter is made. You have your high flow variety, like a K&N or the foam type, like a twin air. Each of them have their advantages, and their down falls. The fact of the matter is, even though you guys seem to want to fight to death over this point, is that it is safer to run a filter with a box around it. The fact that you may be able to shave a pound off the curb weight , or add a miniscule amount of horsepower is not worth it, is my OPINION. Thats what it comes down to here, my opinion. I mean I can rebuild a motor top to bottom, but im not claming to be a filter genius or anything rediculous like that.

Sam

ltrdan
07-16-2009, 01:41 AM
nah man opinions are good, you're fine. i stated mine, you stated yours :) and who is that other guy to come say he knows best and we know only about "filters" did he not read the subject about this threat being "filter"? guess not.

boyntonracing
07-16-2009, 12:13 PM
Ha ha ha both you dudes make me laugh, just keep this in your head, i am living both of yours dream :D

veenser2000
07-16-2009, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by boyntonracing
Ha ha ha both you dudes make me laugh, just keep this in your head, i am living both of yours dream :D

I am just curious boyntonracing what series and class do you run? And how does working at the local hardware store and going to highschool qualify as "living the dream"? Also the pros only run what their sponsors provide for them.... and have the ability to rebuild their motor every race therefore do not care to have an airbox....

ltrdan
07-16-2009, 05:37 PM
and what dream is that?

boyntonracing
07-16-2009, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by veenser2000
I am just curious boyntonracing what series and class do you run? And how does working at the local hardware store and going to highschool qualify as "living the dream"? Also the pros only run what their sponsors provide for them.... and have the ability to rebuild their motor every race therefore do not care to have an airbox....

1. I am sponsored by a atv performance shop, so i basically get what i want.

2. Living the dream, as in i am still in high school, with a faster quad than you, racing pro, getting anything i want, with a better truck, so for you to make these stupid comments, i just

boyntonracing
07-16-2009, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by veenser2000

2. Living the dream, as in i am still in high school, with a faster quad than you, racing pro, getting anything i want, with a better truck, so for you to make these stupid comments, i just got one comment, jelousy..

3. and yes you are correct, i do not care about the airbox and i don't run one, they have the abilty to rebuild their motor, usually they don't, oh i do have the ability to, trust me, i can build many bikes..

Just continue your 40 hour week job, if that, don't worry bout what i do, cause to me your comment don't mean ****..

timmersam
07-17-2009, 12:16 PM
Haha your a joke kid, 17 years old, spending daddys money, driving daddys truck, and living in daddys house. Your right thats definately my dream haha. I took a look at your profile, and see that you aspire to be a petroleum engineer... sorry to tell you but I guess im living YOUR dream, 6 weeks paid vacation, full benifits, overtime if I want it, but damn I wish I could still be in high school. You obviously dont race pro in a reputable series other wise you would have answered his question, and your sponsered by a company nobody has ever heard of. I would be a little hesitant telling veenser2000 you have a faster quad then him, if you take the time to look, you will see that he has a full lonestar/rath quad built by TC Racing to run the National series...

Sam

veenser2000
07-17-2009, 03:58 PM

2. Living the dream, as in i am still in high school, with a faster quad than you, racing pro, getting anything i want, with a better truck, so for you to make these stupid comments, i just

You still never answered my question as to what class and series do you run??

Chino886
07-21-2009, 10:08 AM
......racing pro,

When and where are your next race? I wanna come meet a local "pro" racer!

Chino886
07-22-2009, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Chino886
When and where are your next race? I wanna come meet a local "pro" racer!

;)