PDA

View Full Version : how to make the banshee faster

ldbanshee
07-09-2009, 03:26 PM
i have a 2000 banshee and need help. I have bored it out and did a little motor work. It is really fast off the line but it is like it is hitting top speed quickly. My question is how do i make the top speed higher?

07-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Gearing:)

I assume you are running the stock 14 tooth front. Try going to a 15 or 16.

yamahahaha
07-10-2009, 07:36 AM
the stock front gear is 13, u can get up to a 17 on the front,,, the stock rear sprocket is 41 tooth, u can get a 38 tooth i think

07-10-2009, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by yamahahaha
the stock front gear is 13, u can get up to a 17 on the front,,, the stock rear sprocket is 41 tooth, u can get a 38 tooth i think

Nope, the front sprocket was 13 only in 1987. After that they went to a 14 tooth sprocket.

ldbanshee
07-12-2009, 09:55 PM
thanks for the info. i changed out the sprockets but what about the gears in the tranny?

07-13-2009, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by ldbanshee
thanks for the info. i changed out the sprockets but what about the gears in the tranny?

You shouldn't have to touch the gears in the trans.

decon
07-20-2009, 11:57 AM
going up a sprocket in the front or going down a sprocket in the back will increase your top speed. Check this calculator out, play with it a little should help you out.

http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/banshee.htm

Tommy Warren
07-20-2009, 12:15 PM
put taller tires on it!

ldbanshee
07-20-2009, 01:57 PM
if i change the sprockets out would that make it handle bad out in the dunes?

hondamancbr03
07-20-2009, 04:19 PM
if i change the sprockets out would that make it handle bad out in the dunes?

Depends on what you like and how you ride....I gear mine so i can take off in second if i want. I like second gear starts when i'm drag racing so i don't have to jump over nuetral.

Why are so concerned about top speed?

ldbanshee
07-21-2009, 02:19 PM
i was dragging another quad and smoked him all the way through 6. then it was like i couldn't go any faster and he blew right by me. just wanted to prevent that from happening again

07-21-2009, 05:34 PM
i was dragging another quad and smoked him all the way through 6. then it was like i couldn't go any faster and he blew right by me. just wanted to prevent that from happening again

"It's not top speed, it's how fast you get there that counts"

I myself prefer lower gearing on the banshee. In my opinion they're geared perfect for stock pipes, but with an aftermarket exhaust they are geared way too high. I'm running a 13 tooth front, my father is running a 12 tooth front. I like the 12 so I might buy one.

It feels MUCH more snappy, and takes off the line like crazy. I may not win top speed races, but I know from 1st through 6th that I'll be king and the one with more horsepower. I don't need to go faster top speed then them to prove im quicker.

hondamancbr03
07-22-2009, 08:57 PM

How many yards or miles are you racing? When you are trulely drag racing you may only hit three gears, four if they guy won't give up trying to catch you. Legl sand drags are 300ft where we race, with my gearing and launching in second i only run through three gears.
Gearing is a very opinionated subject.....Find what works for you and run it.

907Rider
07-22-2009, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by hondamancbr03
Gearing is a very opinionated subject.....Find what works for you and run it.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

SandPsycho
12-13-2009, 08:31 AM
How to make the banshee faster?

Get a Cub!!.....................lol!

tyleroar
12-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by SandPsycho
How to make the banshee faster?

Get a Cub!!.....................lol!

Hell Yes!!!
gearing is opinionated, agreed. so why don't you ask every one there gearing and how they like it and bore/ stroke of there bike you can usually get an estimated HP range by asking that