PDA

View Full Version : Must... Turn... SharpeR

MtnEX
07-08-2009, 10:24 PM
Guys, the turning radius on this thing is something I'm going to have to break down and modify.

I'm going to have to grind the stops or something and get it turning decent, because it doesn't turn sharp for s#it like I need it to for the really tight woods trails with switchbacks between the trees.

We took all 3 of my quads out for a ride together, and again I found myself backing up to make the turns my other 2 take no problem.

It just can't get it done in the places where you don't even have room to spin it around without getting wrapped around a tree.

Has anyone done this modification that can give me some guidelines to go by? Like how much you can take off without going too far?

I'd rather not have to take a little at a time and do all the wrenching to check it if I can help it...

KFX450Rrider490
07-10-2009, 01:03 PM
i wish i could help but i have no idea how much is safe to take off did you ever do that to your ex i think i recall you saying something about it

MtnEX
07-10-2009, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by 300exrider490
i wish i could help but i have no idea how much is safe to take off did you ever do that to your ex i think i recall you saying something about it

The previous owner did it to my 400EX, which is great, except he took it too far. That's what you remember. It will turn so sharp the wheels will contact the A-arms and rub... LOL...

The more I look at this KFX, the less I think there is much help for it.

DEVINF450R
07-10-2009, 02:14 PM
i ground the tabs down on my ltr and it worked great. and 1/8th in per side will do wonders

fastrnrik
07-10-2009, 05:33 PM
I ground mine down on my KFX. I went about an 1/8th inch on each side. Its much better now.

MtnEX
07-10-2009, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by fastrnrik
I ground mine down on my KFX. I went about an 1/8th inch on each side. Its much better now.

Did you grind part #59266 or the stem itself?
http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/Motosport/KSF450B8F_2008_STEERING_SHAFT?$oemlarge$

Myself, I want to go as tight as I can, but I don't want anything to bind, or anything to rub.

fastrnrik
07-12-2009, 11:28 AM
I ground the stops on the piece that bolts to the frame. I didnt do anything to the stem. That way if I messed up I could just buy a new piece, and not the stem. It worked perfect for me. Like I said I went about an 1/8 inch, maybe a hair more. Any more and I think it would be too much.

REEDracing94
07-14-2009, 10:21 AM
are you running stock tires?? maybe your front tires are sliding instead of gripping so you can turn

MtnEX
07-14-2009, 10:32 AM
Nope... running Holeshot GNCC's...

It very obviously just does not turn sharp at all mechanically speaking...

MtnEX
07-14-2009, 11:11 AM
Will I be able to get the bottom part off the stem itself without removing the whole stem totally off the quad?

MtnEX
07-16-2009, 12:51 PM
Well... Mine was sort of stubborn... I had to enlist a helper to pull up on the bars while I figured a way to clear the stem where I could get the bearing off the bottom.

I had no trouble with any of the fasteners... I had trouble getting the stem up high enough to slide the housing off the bottom.

The easier way would have been to unhook the tierods from the stem first thing.
I didn't though, so now I'm sorta screwed with my own sequence. So I dread trying to get it back on.

I had it put in a mill, and the stop was cut down equally on each side, leaving the stop a finished 3/8" thickness. I wanted to take more, but I don't think there would have been much point in leaving a stop at all if any more was cut.