PDA

View Full Version : My rear shock is beat!

1989trx250r
07-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Can someone suggest a decent rear shock to replace the stock on an'89? My stock rear shock is beat. Where do you guys send them out to be rebuilt? Can a shock spring be powder coated? Thanks in advance for the info, in the middle of a complete rebuild including frame gussets and powder coating. I didnt realize that the shock was so worn until I started to degrease it.

Jason

matt14c
07-08-2009, 10:04 PM
C&D, GT Thunder, Derisi racing are the main I believe. Yes the spring can be powdercoated. But wait until you have it rebuilt because if they have to change the spring then to pc the one you have would be a waste.

1989trx250r
07-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Thanks matt. Are all years TRX shocks the same 86-89?

matt14c
07-08-2009, 10:18 PM
To be honest I wouldnt be the one to ask that to I just picked up my R about a month ago. I dont think so though. I dont know what years are what but I know that there were a year or two that they ran no link and a couple years they ran a shock link and I think the shocks are different for those types. Also the bike I got came with two. One with a remote rezzie and one just standard rear shocks with no can or anything and its a little shorter than the other. When you call or whatever for the rebuild they will ask everything needed to set you up exactly the way your suppose to be.

fulltiltrider
07-09-2009, 04:22 AM
Im pretty sure all yr shocks are the same. Atc shocks had a different spring rate, other than that they are the same.

atvmxr
07-09-2009, 07:33 AM
the 86 is about an inch longer.. but you can still make it work with proper adjustments or using the 86 linkage.

1989trx250r
07-09-2009, 08:59 AM
Thanks for all of the great info. How much should I expect to pay to have the shock rebuilt? Should I just buy an aftermarket? Does anyone have a decent used shock for sale?

Thanks again,
Jason

matt14c
07-09-2009, 09:53 AM
It depends if you want a rebuild, revalve, or a conversion. Rebuilds are usually about $100 or less and includes new seals and new oil. A revalve would be about $2-300 depending where you decide to go and they will setup the shock exactly for you. For your weight and riding style. Then a conversion they would put a dual rate spring on and put a high flow piston in and also setup like a revalve but are usually $400+. I would look into at least a revalve and possibly a conversion. A new shock will run you about $700 for a cheap rear shock.

250Renvy
07-09-2009, 04:01 PM
The stock shocks have a lot of potential, but if it's really beat and needs a new shaft and spring as well as revalve it can get pretty pricey. It's all about your budget. A good used rear shock can still run $300+ then if it's not in great shape can still run $300 + to get it exactly setup for you. If that's the case then you'd be better off buying brand new and getting it setup from the seller from the get go for $900 and you have a new shock.

If you aren't super heavy and do big jumping MX then a works ultracross would probably be a good setup for a new shock. I think they run $500.

If you know someone handy with suspension then a race-tech gold valve kit could be useful as well.