PDA

View Full Version : Car dealership tried to rip my girlfriend off....

Sjorge450R
07-08-2009, 08:39 PM
First off, let me say that as I am only 19 years old, I haven't had much experience with car dealerships, but the experiences that I have had are completely negative.

Also, I refuse to take any of my family's vehicles or my friends vehicles to dealerships as I know they try to rip people off. There is one shop that I send people to if I cannot do something.

Any way, Oil Changes. Yes the simple oil change. Most people change the oil very often (as do I) so I have had my fair share of them so far. I would estimate about 30 changes in more than 6 vehicles.

Back in March I changed the oil in my girfriends Kia. Simple, easy to do oil change that took a matter of 20min. Fast forward to now. My girlfriend and her mom take the car to a dealership that is fairly large. They sell toyota, kia, hyndai all those jap brands like that. They took it there for on of the biggest scams there is, the 'Pre-Vaction checkup.' They go to change the oil and decide to stop and call my gf's mom and tell her that who ever changed the oil last put sealant on the oil cap and if they were going to change the oil, they would need to change the oil pan:eek:....

I guess I should stop using that sealant on the oil cap that is attached to the oil pan:huh

Moral of the story. They tried to scam her for a $400 charge for something they entirely made up. If this were my car I would be standing in the service department and asking to see this. Guess I will see this sealant when I change the oil tomorrow. Sorry to vent and to be all over the place, but this **** pisses me off. I hate when people try to take money from others and you know something. THEY PROBABLY WOULDN'T HAVE EVEN SWAPPED OUT OIL PANS. JUST WOULD HAVE CHARGED HER FOR A NEW ONE!!!

matt14c
07-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Well I guess when Kia sells you a new car for $9k they need to make money some how!!

Sjorge450R
07-08-2009, 09:10 PM
the thing is. How many people actually just go along with this nonsense and surrender their money to these dealerships?

A lot probably and that's scary.

ProspectorJim
07-08-2009, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
the thing is. How many people actually just go along with this nonsense and surrender their money to these dealerships?

It only takes one to make it worth trying.

400EXtreme
07-08-2009, 09:40 PM
anyone ever see that video of the guy joking around telling the lady about all this bogus stuff she needed for her car and she went along with it?

KevinAb
07-08-2009, 09:50 PM
She bought a Kia, already branded a sucker.

tp300ex
07-08-2009, 09:58 PM
i worked at a shop that dealed with oil changes, tires, etc and we used to get some crazy stuff...they probably had a guy stripe the bolt and try to blame it on the last person who did it thats why she should take it to a local shop...

blacknblue#2
07-08-2009, 11:08 PM
Heres a nice one. In Dec. 06 i buy a brand new 2007 450R. in February of 07 i get a recall on the starter gear so i take it back to the dealer. (Keep in mind it was 2 months in freezing cold weather so you know how much it was rode) I go to pick it up and the service manager says "I dunno who changed that tranny oil last but dont let them touch it anymore because the drain bolt it stripped plum out" In return i say "its never been changed ive only rode it twice since it left this showroom" He kinda studdered around a bit and said well we got it to work but next time it comes back in for its service we wil have to work something out. Luckily i knew it was being tore down for a complete race build in the spring so when i split the cases i just heli-coiled the hole

flammable
07-08-2009, 11:14 PM
tell her that who ever changed the oil last put sealant on the oil cap and if they were going to change the oil, they would need to change the oil pan:eek:....

thats when you know there bs'ing and say,

"actually you guys were the last people to do my oil"

ryansblaster
07-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by 400EXtreme
anyone ever see that video of the guy joking around telling the lady about all this bogus stuff she needed for her car and she went along with it?

haha ya they told her she needed two new transmissions one for reverse and one for drive and her halogen headlight fluid needed changed:p

quad2xtreme
07-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by blacknblue#2
Heres a nice one. In Dec. 06 i buy a brand new 2007 450R. in February of 07 i get a recall on the starter gear so i take it back to the dealer. (Keep in mind it was 2 months in freezing cold weather so you know how much it was rode) I go to pick it up and the service manager says "I dunno who changed that tranny oil last but dont let them touch it anymore because the drain bolt it stripped plum out" In return i say "its never been changed ive only rode it twice since it left this showroom" He kinda studdered around a bit and said well we got it to work but next time it comes back in for its service we wil have to work something out. Luckily i knew it was being tore down for a complete race build in the spring so when i split the cases i just heli-coiled the hole

mine was cross threaded when I removed it for the 1st oil change. nothing I could do about it because I did the change myself and I am sure they would have said it was something I did. This happened at the factory for sure in my case.

Guy400
07-09-2009, 02:58 PM
They tried to get my wife (who was my girlfriend at the time) to lease a Cavalier Z24 for $375/month for 5 years!! She kept telling them no and they wouldn't return her keys to her car that she was contemplating trading in.

I learned after my first dealership-purchased vehicle that you research first, walk in with a price (OTD, not monthly payment) and don't waver.

blacknblue#2
07-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
mine was cross threaded when I removed it for the 1st oil change. nothing I could do about it because I did the change myself and I am sure they would have said it was something I did. This happened at the factory for sure in my case.

Maybe it possibly was a defect from the factory then. Yours is the only ever one i had heard about so i wasnt sure. Maybe i owe them an apology but ah heck with it im sure they have screwed enough other ppl that they deserved a little mouthin haha

Sjorge450R
07-09-2009, 03:42 PM
if i do go and find out that something is wrong with either the filter adapter or the drain plug, I will be going down to the dealership and freaking out. If there is a stripped bolt I am gonna loose it because I know! it would be from them messing around.

rooster300ex
07-09-2009, 04:01 PM
why did u put sealant on the oil cap in the first place????

Sjorge450R
07-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by rooster300ex
why did u put sealant on the oil cap in the first place????

i didnt. Thats just what they said.

rooster300ex
07-09-2009, 04:28 PM
i didnt. Thats just what they said.

ohhhh. Thats messed up.

fastredrider44
07-09-2009, 07:13 PM
They prolly stripped it, and applied sealant to keep it from leaking.

Sjorge450R
07-09-2009, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
They prolly stripped it, and applied sealant to keep it from leaking.

and if that is the case, I am going to raise hell for one, trying to blame someone else, and two, for fixing it half *****.