PDA

View Full Version : Couple ?????'s

skyeryder
07-08-2009, 07:32 PM
My boy just shredded a belt, in the process his rollers were flat spotted and the variator is trashed. the belt was a 787. My questions are in what order my problem happened??? I think I'm creating alot of heat out of my clutch???, when do I change the clutch pads, how much wear and the three springs? We have a ZTR1000 spring(it's a A/C 70 head on a 50) we had 3.25 rollers. Would having a 787 belt it being alittle wider(right), when it shreds loosen the variator? The nut seemed tight. This is the second time this has happened I'm confused and trying to learn here.

Also I have a Kasea 90 will the variator off it fit my DRR that way i don't have to overnight one??? We have a fair race Friday night.

Also does anyone lube the rollers??? probably a stupid question
thanks for the help, sorry so long

qcitytile
07-08-2009, 08:29 PM
you might tighten the variator with out the belt to make sure there is no play in the outer sheave. Thats what happened to me last year we shredded 3 belts before I found it was loose. Tightened and about 15 races later no belt problems. just a thought

Nichols Atvs
07-08-2009, 09:22 PM
The 90 is different. Do not lube rollers The 787 is longer and not as wide as the 780

skyeryder
07-09-2009, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by qcitytile
you might tighten the variator with out the belt to make sure there is no play in the outer sheave. Thats what happened to me last year we shredded 3 belts before I found it was loose. Tightened and about 15 races later no belt problems. just a thought
Alright if it's loose without the belt does that mean it needs a shim?????

Nichols Atvs
07-09-2009, 06:19 AM
The out side plate of the variator should not be loose at all . the only thing that should move should be the inside and that slides in to move the belt up to the top . You may have wore out the outside plate can you post up some pics .

qcitytile
07-09-2009, 07:48 AM
we had to add a shim behind the variator, but if your belt is not sitting all the way down between the sheave's you may add one there. just make sure the shim is the same diamater as the boss or it could tear up the belt if its bigger.

07-09-2009, 02:05 PM
It really sounds like the inner bushing in the variator is what is causing your problems. Like mentioned before the 90 will not work as the center bushing is 16mm inside and 21 outside and the back plate is also bigger splined so thats why it wont. I have rollers Scott but no variator we just have one right now for the 70 spline crank on our 90. Sorry please come race with us Friday were trying out our new motor over there and race again Saturday at Mid America Speedway so were having a busy weekend and its the same next Friday and Sunday were looking for the number 1 trophys but if we dont at least we tried lol. Hope to see you Scott. :D :D :devil:

mini racer #39
07-09-2009, 03:22 PM
Sorry to have missed meeting you a few weeks ago at Trojan Skyeryder. I wondered if that was your mini there on Saturday night!! The mini quad race was great that night. Will you be racing this weekend up this way??

skyeryder
07-09-2009, 03:39 PM
well I have parts being overnighted:( , so we should be there friday night, we also hope to bring home a 1st in the 50-70 class.

Yes that was us red DRX in the mini jr class, we had bad luck that weekend oh well, it's coming around maybe he'll get a job and hire a real mechanic>>>>

I'm gonna put it back together w/o the belt and see how tight everything is, I'll try to post a couple pic of damaged parts thanks for the help

mini racer #39
07-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Let us know and maybe we can meet up at another Reads race. Jerry is pretty good working on quads maybe he can help you out with some stuff....He likes helping out when he can.
Bobbie

bulldogfallon
07-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Heat is caused by slipping...belt...clutch...

Is that torque spring old?

Could be slipping and causing excess heat

skyeryder
07-09-2009, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by mini racer #39
Let us know and maybe we can meet up at another Reads race. Jerry is pretty good working on quads maybe he can help you out with some stuff....He likes helping out when he can.
Bobbie
Are you guys going to go to the State race in LaOtto?? He wants to go back to rochester so we'll probably go to their next one