PDA

View Full Version : TC Racing??

born2ride14
07-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Ok well heres the scoop, bought a sweet 250x, motor built by tom at tc racing, but one of the intake valves bent. called him up told him my problem, and his response was send me your motor and i will completly go trough it for you. i said i am calling about a valve not a complete motor rebuild, he said send me the valve so i can match it up. Well i did that, called him up when he got it, he said oh you should replace all of the valves. I said how much are they a peice though, his answer $52........ So i said i just need one, started talking about payment, he said oh i only send out COD, ok then heres my address blah bla bla

Fastforward a week and a half later get the valve and fedex says the bill is 83 bux. What ??!?!?!?! I call up tom , complain, o well i only send out fedex Cod and they only ship from my area via fedex express of some fancy crap. And i said why not try and get the cheapest shipping from another shipping company, oho ooh oh and he comes up with some lame *** exuse, shipping a valve cant be no 20 somthnig f***in dollars, I have only heard good about him, never will i deal with him unless i absolutly have to.

Any of you guys had any other bad experinces with him? I am so fed up with this

Giz400ex
07-08-2009, 05:28 PM
He does live out in the middle of nowhere :)

TCracin440ex
07-08-2009, 07:12 PM
dont you know it costs extra to ship COD always. hes a very reputable engine builder. i highly doubt he was out to screw you over

elementryder
07-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Tom is a great guy and is always the most reasonable about prices, builds one heck of a 300 motor too =]

TWISTED
07-09-2009, 07:03 AM
Let me add this....... Not everybody has the same dealings with people.... What works for you, might not work for somebody else... I've dealt with vendors that some people swear by, but treated me like poop.... I've also recomended people to vendors that I've worked well with that have crapped on them..... It can go both ways........ As far as TC goes, I know people that have had good and bad luck with him.....

diangelo#67
07-09-2009, 08:16 PM
first of all who the hell replaces 1 valve in a race motor?

my friend I dont know you from anybody on the street, but 2 words of advise from a racer whose done this for a while

1:You get what you pay for.
2:when its apart fix it for the year
(meaning fix it like you would to get through a whole year not one race, 1 valve 2nd valve next race)

born2ride14
07-10-2009, 05:38 AM
Why am I not replacing all the valves? hmm Maybe there is only about 20 - 30 hours on the motor, And the other valves dont look that bad, I beleive the keepers were no seated right

jcv400ex
07-10-2009, 06:28 AM
Tom is a great guy and an awesome engine builder. I live 30 miles from him and use to visit his shop frequently. His shop is a barn. Yes, a old 1950's barn. Then you walk in and see the machinery and engine parts and about chit yourself....

Bottom line, Tom isn't going to jump through hoops for anyone. He's a one man show, is good as what he does, and most people understand this when working with him.

He is not out to screw anyone, but isn't going to drive 20 miles in town to ship something out and loose his $5 profit on the valve.

Simple economics that simple minds don't understand....

dehner47
07-10-2009, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by jcv400ex
Tom is a great guy and an awesome engine builder. I live 30 miles from him and use to visit his shop frequently. His shop is a barn. Yes, a old 1950's barn. Then you walk in and see the machinery and engine parts and about chit yourself....

Bottom line, Tom isn't going to jump through hoops for anyone. He's a one man show, is good as what he does, and most people understand this when working with him.

He is not out to screw anyone, but isn't going to drive 20 miles in town to ship something out and loose his $5 profit on the valve.

Simple economics that simple minds don't understand....

totally agree jcv.and just by the looks of the barn, u'd never expect something that fast to come outta that shop:devil:

i've had Tom to do all my 4stroke motors. even had him do a few 2strokers for me too. back in the day when we use to run 250x and/or 350x motors in a stock 250r chassis, his motors couldnt even be touched out on the track. damn rocket ships i tell ya. he may not have the fastest turn around time or the nicest shop, but he does build one hell of a thumper. and his prices cant really be beat. even to this day, with all the other motor guys out there, tom will always have all my motor services.

and on top of that, he is one of the nicest straight forward dudes you will meet. and in this buisness, that goes along way.

SRH
07-10-2009, 04:17 PM
20-30 hrs is alot of hrs on a full race motor..... **** 5 hrs is alot...

your splitting hairs here over 20 bucks...you should of had the motor entirely gone through like he recommended, what happens if you drop another valve and completely wipe the whole thing???? your whole way of thinking is flawed here....you should even have a race motor in your possession if 20 bucks is make or break.....