PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance

honda400-4-ever
07-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Ok heres the deal im looking to get a 450r soon in the near future and im still deciding if i should get a 450r or 250r. How easy is maintenance on a 450r??

P.S. I dont know how to adjust valves is it easy to learn.

Scro
07-08-2009, 11:18 AM
A 450r is easier to maintain than a 250r, IMO. Adjusting the valves is fairly simple if you have any mechanical skills. You will need to buy a shim kit, if you plan on doing it though. And a service manual wouldn't hurt.

honda400-4-ever
07-08-2009, 11:32 AM
how often do u adjust valves and have to replace the piston?? why do i always hear about problems some people have about crank bearings and cams problems??

Scro
07-08-2009, 12:43 PM
I always check mine every 4-5 rides, but I don't have to adjust them that often (with a stock cam). I just want to be on the safe side.

The crank problem is only in the 04 and early 05 models. They fixed the problem after that. I'm not sure what cam problems you are talking about.

You will need to change the oil more often than a 400ex. Since they don't have an external oil tank, they hold very little oil (less than a quart). I change my engine oil every ride, and the transmission oil every two rides.

honda400-4-ever
07-08-2009, 12:54 PM
why do u say a 250r is more maintenance

Scro
07-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Just worrying about spark plugs going out all time, rings going out more often, mixing gas...I will say that the actual work is easier on a two stroke, but you end up doing it more often.

Plus the chances that you will find a 250r in good shape will be slim. You could find a nicer, better maintained 450r, just because they are newer.

IcutMetl
07-11-2009, 02:24 PM
I tell ya what...people that are scared of 2-stroke maintenance need to spend time with a well kept one for a while. Don't get me wrong; I'd love a new 450...and in fact I'll strongly consider a new one if Honda changes for '10, but I'm amazed at my 250r.

Buy good oil and mix it with good gas, and run it thru a properly jetted carb, and you should NEVER foul a plug. I can let my R idle for 15-20 minutes, then get right on it and rip off with little or any loading up. I lug it thru the woods in 1st gear for hours, sit and idle, then off like a rocket again. My buddy's Banshee is nearly the same way, but slightly more temperamental by nature. I haven't had to change a plug yet due to fouling. I found my 400ex very easy to work on, but I find my 250r even easier- I just did a top end for the first time, had my cylinder ported and a thin head gasket to run 93/110 mix and if you have all your tools laid out and know what you're doing, you could pull into a garage, do the job, and pull right back out well within 1.5 hours. VERY easy to do with basic tools. In fact, after the rebuild, it started right up on the 1st kick, and usually starts cold on the 2nd. I change my tranny oil every couple rides, and that's it! I've done a lot of research, and it seems that for equally well kept and ridden engines, top end jobs don't come much sooner if any for a 2-stroke than for a newer 450 thumper. Big difference is cost of maintenance for an equally kept motor- no valvetrain. Sure, you can get big HP out of either motor, but say $1000 does a lot more to a 2 stroke than a 4, especially if a motor grenades.

I used to think the SAME way about 2 strokes, because I've had dirt bikes in the past that weren't kept well before me and gave me all kinds of fits fouling plugs, not running well, etc. It was a HUGE awakening when I bought my R and started digging into it- I'm very impressed with how well it runs with how little I've had to deal with it.

Am I a total convert now? Absolutely not- my buddy with the Banshee also has a YZF450- that thing just rocks your socks, and I've ridden a YFZ450 'wheeler as well. What I'm saying is that I've always wanted a 250R and I still have no regrets.

I think it's cool no matter what ya ride as long as you're riding, right?!

honda400-4-ever
07-11-2009, 02:30 PM
thanks i think that summed it up