PDA

View Full Version : New 08 Outlaw 525 S owner with LOTS of questions...

sicktooth
07-08-2009, 03:39 AM
I just bought an 08' Outlaw 525 S and want more! All I can say as that these things are fast. My room mate has a 07' YFZ450 and is jelous...thats all I have to say about THAT subject.

This particular Outlaw will be for ditchs, trails, mud, moderate water, and pavement pounding drags. I want it to be an all around @$$ beating machine.

I broke it in good and proper so it needs the oil changed. Bought PS-4 after reading this, that, and the other thing about what to run. I can't believe people throw regular motor oil in their toys, it's supposed to be synthetic 2W-50 oil COME ON!!! I just figure might as well use what the manufature recomends.

I read something about the two oil filter screens being plastic, but I never did find steel ones to replace them with. Is there any benifit in having steel vs. plastic? Also, where can I find them?

I plan on getting a full CT Racing exhaust (10hp WTF?) with JD jets in the near future. I'll have to email James Dean with my mod list to figure out what jets to run. Anyone know aprox. where to start?

I can't decide to build my own intake, buy one from Rath then cut my air box and risk sucking up water, or getting one from EHS Racing. I would like to run a K&N but it looks like they are only making them for the IRS. Why are they not made for the solid axle model? What are you guys DEPENDING on?

What kind of advantages are there when using a twist throttle set up? I seen a twist/lever combo that looked pretty cool but it looks like more of a PITA if anything. Is one better then the other?

I think I got a smoking deal. $5500 for an 08' Outlaw with 0 miles, 6 month factory/3 year Polaris waranty, tax license and all fees included.

Any response will be appreciated...

sleddog66
07-08-2009, 04:40 AM
A couple of things. You want the PS-4 PLUS, it is a 2-50w. That is the factory recommend. Do not get the PS-4, I beleive that is something like a 10-40?
Many like the HP of the CT, but they have had many fittment issues.....just be aware.
The screens are plastic, and should last a long time, no problems. However the allen type bolts that hold it in tend to strip out. You may want to look into a hex bolt, like the ones at BRAPOFFROAD.com. The OEM filters are paper. You change them every oil change.
I have the EHS lid on a IRS and love it. The S does not have near as much space for filter options, so if you want to keep the box, not a lot of options.
Good luck with your ride and have fun.:D

sicktooth
07-08-2009, 12:42 PM
I'll have to double check and make sure its PLUS...I guess that one slipped my mind.
I'm hoping that I'll get lucky and the CT exhaust will fit up. I know that most after market parts require some fitting. What exactly are people having problems with when adding the full exhaust kit?
I'm sure the stock bolts will stand up for a while, but its always nice to have spare parts too...thanks for the link by the way.
I think K&N needs to step up to the plate and do something for the solid axle guys. Pre filters are cool, but whats inside is what counts...or thats what mom always said.