PDA

View Full Version : Swingarm pivot bearings

IcutMetl
07-07-2009, 09:56 PM
Having a painful time getting my needle bearings out of my swingarm pivot points.

I have an 88/89 swingarm, and of course had to cut my frozen bolt out, which was no problem. Now, I have a replacement bolt and Pivot Works bearing kit with the new sleeve.

I've soaked the pivot end in my solvent tank to loosen up the rust powder and caked, leftover grease, heated the end, tried pb blaster, even a steel rod with hammer to try to catch the outer lip of one bearing from the other side. The bearings seem to fit up against a shoulder in each end that doesn't leave too much area radially on the bearing to be able to pound against from the other side.

I've installed, replaced, froze, shrunk, pressed, and ground all kinds of bearings- just really dont' want to destroy a swingarm.

So before I get "creative" with these darn bearings, is there a magic bullet? I think I already know the answer...... What I DO know is that I'm going crazy with anti-sieze and waterproof grease when it goes back together.

deathman53
07-07-2009, 10:28 PM
I had this problem with the swingarm bearings too. What I ended up doing was hitting the bearing from the other side and bending it in making a big lip on it. Then it was easy, the lip was easy to hit hard it came out in a few hits. To remove the other side, I used a socket that just fits through the swingarm center section. Pushed that down and hit the socket with a punch, it came out very easy.

BERT306
07-08-2009, 10:17 AM
I took a dremel with a small dia cut-off wheel and spiral cut the dang things being careful to not dig into the swinger itself, then they came right out

IcutMetl
07-08-2009, 10:27 AM
I went to Fastenal thismorning, got a double-cut carbide burr, stuck it in my die grinder, and "slotted" the outer races until I just barely broke thru- took a small cold chisel and mallet- wedged inbetween the i.d. of the bore and o.d. of the outer race, squeezed the race in on itself, then knocked 'em out. Deburred any high spots, then took a brake cylinder hone and honed the bores out. Freezing the bearings right now and am gonna put 'em in in about 5 minutes.