PDA

View Full Version : valve adjustment = god awful noise

Jessem24
07-07-2009, 06:27 PM
so i had my dealer adjust the valves today on my 07 400ex to spec which is exhaust .005 and intake .004 in. when i started it up it ticks really loud and i asked is this normal and they said yes it is. i do not notice a loss in power, actually i noticed a slight slight gain in power. is this noise normal though. they are to spec, they said they checked it twice.

timmy400exfast
07-07-2009, 08:08 PM
no its not normal your valves are probbly bent or miss adjusted

aDviSol2y
07-08-2009, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by timmy400exfast
no its not normal your valves are probbly bent or miss adjusted

Actually, all the mechanics I have ever talked to (Including Honda Mechanics) say that this very well could happen. It all depends on how your motor has worn over time. Any time you have moving parts, you are going to have wear. All motors wear differently. Adjusting the valves back to specs can cause them to seat different when opening and closing, Thus causing them to tick even louder.

Jessem24
07-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by aDviSol2y
Actually, all the mechanics I have ever talked to (Including Honda Mechanics) say that this very well could happen. It all depends on how your motor has worn over time. Any time you have moving parts, you are going to have wear. All motors wear differently. Adjusting the valves back to specs can cause them to seat different when opening and closing, Thus causing them to tick even louder.

that is pretty much what the guy told me

beaker1214
07-08-2009, 10:32 AM
yeah I can here my motor on my ex over the white brothers exhaust on mine. I have been told the ex's are like that though....It annoys me becuase makes the honda sound like junk even though it runs awesome and has just been rebuilt with new valves

Jessem24
07-08-2009, 10:38 AM
so yours was just rebuilt and in spec and you can hear it too? i guess im not the only one. most guys on you tube and stuff say that noise means that it needs adjustmen, but i guess its normal. i mean i never heard it when it was new half a year ago. but now i do. oh well at least i know its ok and im not gonna ruin anything

aDviSol2y
07-08-2009, 11:12 AM
I hear mine tick when it gets warm. Which is pretty much 5 min. into riding. I can hear mine over my exhaust when at lower RPM's but when I get on it, there is no way I'm hearing it. I really would not worry about it. Especialy if the bike is pretty new.

killer400ex
07-08-2009, 12:04 PM
yeah they all do that, ive rebuilt a few and even rode brand new ones, nothing wrong, the only reason you dont hear it as much on other models is cus most are water cooled and that deadens the noise that and the fact that they use a soc which needs double rocker arms and it all wears down and clicks, nothing to worrie about, the only reason you might not have herd it before is because there was not enough space between the valves and the arm, or just not enough clearance causing the valves not to close all the way, and if you put a cam in then it will tick like a time bomb lol

sab24711
07-08-2009, 02:17 PM
not to steal a thread but i just got a new top end Kibblewhite Valve Spring Kit, black diamond intake and exhaust valves,crf chain,hot cams stg 2,new 440 piston with a fresh hone done. the weird thing is that he adjusted the lash closer to stock because he said that the valves were loud when he did the hot cams valve lash specs. cold you can't hear them tick but when the motor get hot you can hear them. the question is should i go with the hot cams specs or leave it. the quad only has about an hour ride time since rebuild.

aDviSol2y
07-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by sab24711
not to steal a thread but i just got a new top end Kibblewhite Valve Spring Kit, black diamond intake and exhaust valves,crf chain,hot cams stg 2,new 440 piston with a fresh hone done. the weird thing is that he adjusted the lash closer to stock because he said that the valves were loud when he did the hot cams valve lash specs. cold you can't hear them tick but when the motor get hot you can hear them. the question is should i go with the hot cams specs or leave it. the quad only has about an hour ride time since rebuild.

If you do a leak down test and your valves are tight, than I would leave it.

powertechn2
07-08-2009, 11:45 PM
yea, i would leave it, i dunno what the hot cams specs are, but its air cooled, and the noise resonates through the head and the fins act like a little speaker too.

i have gone to adjust mine and found that it was still at specs when i first got it.

i just check it often, its easy enough to do.

killer400ex
07-12-2009, 07:42 PM
i think that i would go with hotcams instructions, because if you adjust the valves too close when the motor is cold or warm then when it heats up after a while of riding or racing or whatever, the clearance will bee way too close if their is any, if hotcams took all that time and effort to find out a better clearance setting then i think i would go with their suggestions, and remember stock was made for 2 completely different sized cams, one might expand or heat up differently or whatever, point is that hotcams wouldnt just blow smoke at you, they put that suggestion in there for a reason

powertechn2
07-12-2009, 10:36 PM
yea, and valve float @ high rpms from being too tight can trash some stuff, that extra .002 may make a difference.

rob_990
07-12-2009, 10:41 PM
it might be your timing chain too

sab24711
07-13-2009, 10:03 AM
well he said he went with the hot cams specs and it sounded like it was going to blow up they were that loud. its a brand new heavy duty chain idk how that could be the problem.i have been riding it around for a total of 2 1/2 hours (time for oil change)and it seems fine. i am just going to set it to hot cams and see how it sounds and runs. i think that the only way.

STAGE 2
Intake
Valve Lash: .13 mm what that comes out to .005

Exhaust
Valve Lash: .15 mm and or .006

stock settings are
.004 and .005

powertechn2
07-13-2009, 05:34 PM
i always set mine to .005-.006 both. never had a problem, no more ticking than any other ex

sab24711
07-14-2009, 05:55 PM
wow yea i got on it today and no power in the top end you cant pop a wheelie for shi*. the motor sounds fine but it just about stops near top end and slowly revs out. i bet a normal 400 will be this hunk i think my 400 pound brother will run faster it. deff time to readjust the head. what else do you guys think it could be?

powertechn2
07-14-2009, 06:11 PM
jetting

sab24711
07-14-2009, 11:04 PM
how does this sound #42 pilot # 185 main that's whats in it now.

powertechn2
07-15-2009, 12:05 AM
i dunno, i swapped my carb out for an edelbrock eichner series 440 carb. the oem wouldnt supply enough for what i did.

i have the stock carb sitting around somewhere, with dynojet jet kit jetted for stock engine with K&N, and full pro meg race system from white brothers with 12 discs and cdi box, but i dont feel like taking it apart right now.

it sounds close on main at least, i think i may have had a 145 or 148 pilot, but dont remember. check/read your spark plug.

sab24711
07-15-2009, 08:44 AM
i heard thoes carbs suck

powertechn2
07-15-2009, 12:31 PM
heard wrong, once i got it dialed in made 47 hp worth of suck :D

some people do not like the fact that it has no choke, but mine has been awesome.

and it was the eichner series, not the standard edelbrock i think quicksilver they call the normal ones.

F-16Guy
07-15-2009, 01:39 PM
Is it possible that you might have read the wrong scale on the feeler gage? A lot of them are marked with both SAE and metric. If you read the wrong scale, then the valves will be WAY off. There is a huge difference between .004" and .004mm.

sab24711
07-15-2009, 08:15 PM
person who put the cam in forgot to take the decompression spring

powertechn2
07-15-2009, 10:40 PM
i have a hotcams cam, stg 2, and it doesnt have decompression on it, i dont think any of the hotcams cams do.

sab24711
07-16-2009, 10:21 AM
that the thing the instructions say take it out the mechanic wasn't sure if he should but he is taking it tomorrow and doing to fo free. :D

powertechn2
07-16-2009, 06:58 PM
im not sure what you mean "take it out" its on the oem cam... but its not on the hot cam...

i coulda taken a pic of a stock cam earlier, but i saw this too late, and already locked my barn up and then drove home.

i have a stock cam with like 20-30 hrs on it, just chilling there with the decomp on it.

the instructions dont tell you to transfer it, and i dunno how the hell you would, i dont think there are the holes for it and sheat.

if he is afraid it wouldnt crank, thats not a problem, mine is 12.5:1, and its a 461, and everything else listed, no decomp, and ORIGINAL BATTERY FROM 200FREAKING1.... and i have no probs.

sooo, i started thinking for a second... if he did indeed try to transfer it, he probably got the spring and the weight all discombobulated and somehow installed the damned thing, and its probably just smacking around inside there.

im afraid to ask what shop did the work.

F-16Guy
07-16-2009, 07:30 PM
There is a spring and plunger (little metal dowel) that sits in a hole in the rocker cover where the decompression mechanism rides. That's what activates the decomp mechanism. If whoever put the aftermarket cam in forgot to remove them (it happens), they can fall out and cause problems.

sab24711
07-16-2009, 09:00 PM
powertechn2 you have alot done to your quad why dont you just buy a 450r. cause im selling this hunk once it runs right and getting a 450r

powertechn2
07-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by sab24711
powertechn2 you have alot done to your quad why dont you just buy a 450r. cause im selling this hunk once it runs right and getting a 450r

cause i have seen too many issues with the crf 450's, and i already have a ktm on the way.

i did a ****load of work, like wayy too much$$$ but i was trying to beat my buds on yfz450's, who already beat the buds with trx450r's... i can hang, and beat as long as i can actually hook, just i wanted some better suspension, and i fig'd by the time i do the susp work i would spend 1500 bucks, so i might as well just do a total upgrade.

as much as the trx450r might be a good quad, i still do not like that engine. after seeing 5 peeps that are all buds smoke heads, valves, and a few pistons, now i dont dig it... and everyone i know that has one has had to change the suspension anyways... so i would be like going in reverse.

i dont really get how the amount i have done to it means i should just buy a 450r anyways, but thats cool lol hahaha.

and good luck sellingit after you have ridiculed it and called it junk.

just because whoever did the cam swap may have been either :
A. illeterate.
B. a poor technician.
C. just plain backyard shade tree mechanic.

doesnt mean you can condemn the machine as a whole.

my ex kicks ***, i can pull wheelies at will in whatever gear i want, if im in 4th, and a puddle is coming, wheelie over that sumona-b. i dont need a new quad, i just wanted one... like i didnt need a turbo jetta, i wanted one... like after that i didnt need to trade my 3/4 ton crew cabfully loaded chevy in, but i wanted something different... its all in what you want, if some poor mechanical re configuring has you thinking you should sell it, then have at it, just dont let the same guy do work on the new machine.

besides, so far all you go on is what you think you heard, like the "i heard those carbs suck" lol...

yet you dont even wrench on your own machine rotflcopter hahaha:D :D :D :p :p :p :blah:

powertechn2
07-16-2009, 10:02 PM
and i mean no offense by this, just laughing ;)

sab24711
07-16-2009, 11:45 PM
well first off i thought that id help a friend out cause he needed money and he knows his **** just missed one part of it, doesn't mean hes
A. illeterate.
B. a poor technician.
or
C. just plain backyard shade tree mechanic.

i can sit here and compare dicks all night but i know whos bigger. MINE!
i had one to many projects going and i just wanted it done and for 400 dollars half the price of a costly dealership ill take that any day. now i bet your wondering what projects does he has going. so ill tell you
1988 mustang 302 h.o (****s on turbo jettas and what ever slow gas job truck you had)
trickflow upper and lower intake man
b303 cam
70mm carb
PERFORMER heads
MSD 6BTM IGNITION BOX
speed density converted to mass air flow
bbk longtube headers
custom 6 point roll cage
custom subframe connectors
toggle break lights (for running form the 5.0)
custom interior
full fuel system
beautiful clean engine compartment
all body work and paint and everything else you see above done by ME MYSELF AND I!!

like billy says BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!

cobra 427 with all the bells and whistles
fully built motor done at mi casa
custom irs
custom interior
custom exhaust
slamming sound system
this 2400 pound car wheelies better than your 400 does

1923 ford model a
BUILT FROM THE GROUND UP
z"frame
copped 3 inches
sectioned 2 inches
carbed 303
suicide from end
9 inch rear

and on your end you have a built 400ex and the crowd goes wild................ cricket...... cricket
so tell me after reading this i don't work on my own machine. way to jump the guy pal.

listen buddy i am not saying im the best im just saying im fuc**n incredible!

powertechn2
07-17-2009, 12:48 AM
dude, any place you call will install a cam in a 400ex engine in machine for less than 200 bucks, so ur just plain stupid to help a buddy out and pay him twice that lol and have it done ephed up cause he is illiterate and cant read the ephing directions... hahahahahaha.

and my grand national will **** on that lil stang no prob...

oh, and i forgot that my tt will literally run laps around it...

and if you really have a cobra 427, what the fu ck are you doing messing around with low buck quads? an original cobra 427 is worth more than you have *****.

my 87 stang was the ****, it ran 1/4 mile time you can only dream of reaching in your dads stang that you talk about. talk about a lil 302... then add 18lbs of boost....

my twin turbo rx 7 will also blow some sh it up your *** pipe...

and yet, you say
"so tell me after reading this i don't work on my own machine. way to jump the guy pal."

so really, y the fu ck are you here on this forum asking for help after paying twice what you should have and getting a machine that is ephed up that makes noise and you cant figure it out.

trust me, thats only about half the toys i have.... you wouldnt even be able to handle the others...

cummins diesel s-10with built 9in rear, turbo 400 manual reverse valve body that you couldnt even begin to understand the y or the how to make it work, the build 383 stroker powered regal that is fast, then there is the 06 stang gt that has just a mere cai, and x pipe, it gets 28mpg on the highway when im going on a drive north.... but none of those hang with the national. do you really want me to go on?

you come on here and tell me to buy a 450r... you should buy a raptor 250 imo, cause you dunno how the eph to work on what you got *****.

dude, i wasnt comparing dicks, you did, i was just laughing cause outta no where you tell me i have spent alot on my 400, and that i should just buy a 450r....

the point is i can beat a 450r, and make the owner feel stupid like you do every day when you wake up and see your sorry *** face in the mirror.

its called a sleeper....

dont bite animals that have bigger teeth more brains and more money.

and btw you wanna talk about the jetta, did you know that it was putting down prob more than your stang, and got better mpg...

and it also had a "full fuel system" like tour stang did lol, ****, the prius in the drive, and the 98 lhs and the fj all have full fuel systems, hell, even my tractor has a full fuel system in it... not just a half fuel system lol...

it looks like you have a buncha bolt on **** that makes around 350-375hp max, oh crap, my 400ex has better power to weight ratio, even my wr400 had better hp to weight ratio...

so yea, crickets chirpin, but they are chirpin for you.

dont tell peeps what to buy, i buy what i want, always have always will.

suck it

and learn to fix your own **** then.

and ohhh yea, billy died ***er

sab24711
07-17-2009, 09:46 AM
i think you made all that up in fact i know you did. LIAR just trying to get the last word in. but who cares mommy and daddy paid for it all and it wanst just a cam if you read back it tell you everything he did and yes you punk *** ***** it is a deal and a half. it not worth arguing the fact whos better or not its getting us no where plus you not woth the time or effort.

powertechn2
07-17-2009, 04:15 PM
:D ok i dont feel it necessary to post pics of my cars on a quad forum, so believe what you want :macho