View Full Version : oil in airbox

matts02400ex
07-07-2009, 10:49 AM
traded a boy for a 02 440 ex couldnt keep head gaskets in it took it to the shop found the cyylinder was cracked he said it ruined the sleeve and piston. so i got a 416 kit for it got it back and it would smoke horribly and oil was everywhere in my airbox and that little white thing that mounts on the side of the intake tube would be full of oil by the way where is the tube that comes out supposed to go to on that? i was wandering if it is in the right spot it goes down into the block behind the head any suggestions it seems to run ok but i took it back and the mechanic said the rings were bad still cant figure that out so he warrantied his work replaced the rings and guess what? same problem so i called him back and we had at it for awhile so now he wont fix it. any suggestions??

Snipe
07-07-2009, 11:30 AM
That thing your talking about is a crank case breather tube. Its just a blow by tube keeping pressure down in the motor.

As for oil in the airbox sounds like the rings would be bad but it could be other things as well hard to say without seeing it for myself.

That is a good mechanic to warrantie his work most shops once it roles out the door its yours.

bbender85
07-07-2009, 12:35 PM
did he reinstall the lower oil lines correctly? maybe they're switched?

barton1398
07-07-2009, 05:15 PM
this could be one of three things (first) it could be to much oil in it or (second) he may have lined the ring gaps up ( that is where both ring gaps are lined up on the same side one on top of the other)or over laped the oil ring. And last and worst case your cylinder could be egged out this has happened to me twice.

matts02400ex
07-08-2009, 11:15 AM
well the cylinder and piston is all new isnt even a month old yet and this is the second set of ring he put in it in a month. I mean it runs great i smoked a kfx 700 literatley cause smoke was just boiling the dude also broke 2 of my valve cover bolts and oil is just pouring out of it so now got to fix that. i beleive next time in gonna do it myself and a few other things while im at it probably this winter tear it down and do it back to a 440 like it was before with a cam and all the works. but that crank case tube where is it supposed to go? does it go into that white box on the side of my airbox tube? thats where all my oil is coming from comes in there goes in the carb and smokes like a freight train I even changed the oil put 1 and a half quarts in it.

barton1398
07-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Well with the cylinder being new it is probably your ring gaps or your oil ring is over laped. Good luck