PDA

View Full Version : Batteries going bad?

JTrider
07-07-2009, 09:31 AM
I have gone through 3 batteries in the last 2 months and I'm not sure what is going on. Everything was working perfect and one day it wouldn't start so I took the battery to a battery store and they told me it was bad so I bought a new one. Within a couple rides the battery all of sudden went dead too so I took it in and they said it couldn't be recharged. I exchanged that one for a new one and in the middle of the first ride it too went dead. What could be going on here. If something was draining it I would assume that a recharge would fix it but all these batteries are beyond recharge. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jason

timmy400exfast
07-07-2009, 10:03 AM
maybe your stator is bad

bigbad400
07-07-2009, 10:06 AM
how would you test that?

bergoff
07-07-2009, 11:21 AM
start it and put a volt meter on the battery. i had a motorcycle that was eating batteries alot and it said 18 volts when i tested it. my stator was bad. i think that it should be somewhere around 14 volts. you could also check for amp draw and look for a short in your wiring. short are a pain to find.

Snipe
07-07-2009, 11:34 AM
Either that or the magneto could be bad preventing the charge of the battery. Meaning when riding your drawing off just battery power until there is no more power left.

JTrider
07-07-2009, 11:40 AM
I will have to test the stator. The main thing that baffles me is that I put a new battery in it the night before a ride and when I was riding I was only riding for a couple hours(maybe 3 starts) before it stopped starting again due to the battery. I was able to push start it but that was it. Could a bad stator cause the battery to be unchargable?