PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Carb for scrambler 90

ned02
07-07-2009, 07:19 AM
I am looking for a inexpensive carb that will work on a 2002 scrambler 90cc, I have no idea what size it is except it is stock. Just been having problems and want to try another carb to see if that will fix. And yes I took it apart and cleaned it and that(me taking apart) might be part of the problem.

raptorobbie
07-07-2009, 08:46 AM
what problems are you having?

ned02
07-07-2009, 09:54 AM
It was bogging down and hard to start, I sprayed with carb cleaner and it ran ok for awhile then repeated previous problem. Took carb apart and cleaned it now it is very hard to start but runs ok after I finaly get it going. after I had cleaned the carb I found a tiny washer in the driveway where I was working and have no idea if it is from the carb or not .I have played with air/fuel mix and idle screw to no avail. Don't know enough about carbs to be comfortable messing with it.

raptorobbie
07-07-2009, 11:19 AM
unfortunately that can be hard to diagnose -
couple of cheap things to try:

fresh spark plug
good fresh fuel
good compression
air filter clean and fitting properly
no air leaks on the intake side
clean and properly attached exhaust
ohm out the stator to make sure its good

ned02
07-07-2009, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the tips.Done everything but the ohm & compression,Don't have the tools or know how for those. I will recheck the plug, maybe not gapped right? I just have a feeling that the washer came from the carb somewhere and that may be why I am having the problem.

raptorobbie
07-07-2009, 12:20 PM
if the washer is a tiny rubber washer - it may have come from the air/fuel mix screw. The a/f mix screw goes thru a spring and then seats on that rubber washer.

the other thought i had was maybe your electric choke is messing up - did you make sure its plugged in? You may want to unplug it and see if that makes any difference trying to start the bike.

compression is cheap and easy to check - harbour freight sells a compression tool that will screw right into the plug hole - I think it costs about 9 bucks. it might not be the best tool but at least it'll let you know what direction to head in.

I have a hard time believing its your carb thats messed up - the polaris i have was beat down real hard and taken apart by a 12yr old who didnt have a clue or any guidance - put it back together after a rebuild and cant believe how well it runs. also, in all the bikes i've owned - only one had a carb issue one time. All that being said - maybe someone has a take-off carb laying around for cheap or you can ebay one for like 70$.

ned02
07-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Can I borrow the 12 year old?lol I will try and check what you suggested,the washer is a very small metal one. It's gonna have to wait for a while as my back is hurting and if I bend to work on the quad I may not be able to unbend. Thanks for your help.Is the electric choke the black plastic thing on top of the carb?

raptorobbie
07-07-2009, 01:38 PM
sure - he isnt my 12 yr old!! he's the kid i bought the thing from!

small metal washer - no clue on that one.

aching back from working on quads - oh I know that one!!

electric choke is that black round thing on side of carb - just look for the wires going from it to a little white plastic connector. disconnect at the connector and see if it has any affect.

if you can get it running and it has a repeatable problem - post the info under the mini-quad/polaris section so others smarter than me can help you fix it. good luck!

ned02
07-07-2009, 03:50 PM
I will give it a try and let you know. I don't know what I did to my back It was aching for a week or so then I went camping and riding and now I can barely walk. I must have strained something then really aggravated it while camping.

cliner
07-22-2009, 07:49 PM
I bought a carb for my sons 01 scrambler 90 off e-bay I thank i paid like 20 bucks it might be worth checking

ned02
07-22-2009, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the info, my back has been hurting and I have not yet done anymore troubleshooting on the quad,but hope to get to soon.