PDA

View Full Version : budget power

AUSSIE80
07-07-2009, 02:05 AM
after cheap mods for 2004?, i think lt80 yellow/black seat. parts are not easily sourced here and stuff available is not recommended by you guys. are restrictors removed by dealer or would they still be fitted. someone said remove exhaust plug- is this the one located in the bottom of the ex chamber? also someone mentioned removing 2 rollers from drive, i assume to pick up rpm before clutch fully grabs, i would like my girl to get a run out it before any major mods are done, all help/ideas appreciated,

LT80
07-07-2009, 07:10 AM
Welcome to the forums. :)
The restrictors are::
1) above the carb slide to limit the slide travel.
2) between the pipe and cylinder.
The dealer may or may not have removed them.
Yes you can remove the bolt in the bottom of the exh chamber.

First mods are::
Shave the head .030
Cut the rear clutch shoes down to 180 grams each.
Remove 2 rollers.

billlydroveit
07-10-2009, 06:28 AM
OK, i just purchased a 2001 LT80, and i want an expanded answer to the above post. I would greatly appreciate it.

U say remove the bolt on the bottom of the exhaust chamber? What is the advantage, and where is it? I haven't had a chance to look mine over, been to busy working.

Can i do the roller removal without cutting the rear clutch shoes, and still gain an advantage? How do you cut down teh rear clutch shoes if i choose to go that route?

Also in reading somewhere else, i read someone say there's a pilot jet that can be removed in the carb that is also part of a factory restrictor? Could this be right, it doesn't sound like a good idea to me!?

Also are there any other "freebie" mods for these machines?

Thanks for any advice/reply. This board seems to be hte best of all the ones i've looked at for the LT80. Also i quickly became aware of who "lt80" is, and how he seems to be the most knowledgeable. It's nice to see people step up and share information, and i thank you in advance for that.

LT80
07-10-2009, 07:18 AM
Welcome to the forums Billy.:)
Look at the bottom of the pipe under the out tube. You'll see the bolt (it's actually for blowing junk out of the pipe).It adds 1/2 HP.

Removing the rollers makes it take off a lil faster. Yes you can do it w/o cutting the rear shoes.
Shoes: you cut them approx 3/8 inch behind the contact pad. Then drill the back side to the exact weight.
NO, there is not 2 pilot jets in a LT80. That guy was way off and wouldn't take any advise. LOL

billlydroveit
07-10-2009, 12:14 PM
LT80, Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. This thing is new to me, i traded a Kymco super 9 for it. When i had the Kymco there was a yahoo group with an endles amount of knowledgeable people who shared information with anybody wiling to listen. Glad there is a similar outlet for this 80.

As for teh clutch weight reduction, i wouldn't attempt it without seeing pics just becuase i don't wanna screw it up.

About removeing two rollers, do you lose any top end with that? How many grams are the stock rollers?

I know 2 strokes are sensitive (specially air cooled) to tuning. Now if i remove the throttle limiter out of the carb, remove the restrictor plate from the exhaust at the head, and remove the plug at the pipe outlet, will i have jet the carb up? I've been around two strokes alot, and i'm a car mechanic and a drag racer. Tuning isn't new to me, but i'm still not fully confortable tuning two stokes. Also if i do the boysen 2 stage reeds, will there be any jetting that will have to accompany that install as well? Also with the boysen reeds, do i have to modify the intake or anything, or is it just a simple install.

Basically i'm using this thing as a pit bike for me, but i also have a 3 year old who will probly start riding it when he gets tired of the 50.

LT80
07-11-2009, 07:23 AM
Rollers:: Yes, you may loose a lil top end. I doubt you'll notice it.
They are approx 10 grams each. There is no aftermarket rollers for a LT80 (fyi).

You won't need to re-jet for anything you've mentioned. IF anything, you'll want to jet DOWN a size (90 main).

The hardest part of the reeds is getting the 4 screws out. Do yourself a favor and replace the screws with hex head bolts (6mmx1.00)

billlydroveit
07-11-2009, 08:12 AM
LT80, I really appreciate the information! Can you get an mpact driver down there to help break loose the screws? Probly not enough room to get a hammer and driver in there though! I htink i'll start with removing the exh restrictor, carb restrictor, and exhaust plug and see how that goes. If it's not pepy enough i'll do a roller removal.

Thanks for all your help.

Roger
Detroit Mi.