PDA

View Full Version : 2009 GNCC Racing Series - Round #9 - SnowShoe - ATV Race Coverage

Pappy
07-06-2009, 08:45 AM
The Can Am GNCC Series is just rolling along and we find ourselves up against the summer break as round# 9 heads high into the mountains of West Virginia. Snowshoe Ski resort plays host to this round and is a facility that has a love/hate following.

Pappy
07-06-2009, 08:47 AM
The mountain views are always stunning and for many who live in areas of void of such natural things, its a chance to be in an area that is usually reserved for only vacations and ski trips!

Pappy
07-06-2009, 08:49 AM
Just over the mountain from the resort is the Cass Scenic railroad, and for a small fee, you can take a ride and enjoy the sights via a mode of transportation that has long since given way to our automobiles for the most part

Pappy
07-06-2009, 08:52 AM
Wildlife abounds in this region and it always amazes me how many people never get to see it. We are all in such a hurry to get here and there that we blow past it at a high rate of speed....or over it!:eek:

Pappy
07-06-2009, 08:54 AM
Lurray Cavens is also a well known spot to stop before leaving the highway to head off into God's country. You can be the canerns on a hot summers day to cool off and check out some of natures handy work!

Pappy
07-06-2009, 08:56 AM
Skyline drive is an excellent location to catch some more of the areas beauty and if you time it right, you will have the place to yourself for several hours to explore a bit.

Pappy
07-06-2009, 08:57 AM
If you are wondering why Foley had a stink following him around.......:eek: :devil:

(if I had been there, I would have caught it and put it in his camera bag:devil: )

Pappy
07-06-2009, 09:00 AM
Those that love the highlife are right at home at Snowshoe. It offers all the luxury one could want with hotels and chalets available. How much luxury is dependant on your Mastercards limit!

Personally, i'd prefer a Dunkin Donuts to the Starbucks:p

Pappy
07-06-2009, 09:02 AM
Even though for me, the big money stuff means zero, I can see why the alure of this location has its followers. It is most deffinatley a break from the normal routine and the challenges that lay ahead for the racers might as well have a prelude that offers all the comfort one can get!

Pappy
07-06-2009, 09:05 AM
With no campfires, no cook outs, no back of the trailer conversations to while the time, folks are left with a walk through the courtyard that makes the center hub of the facility. Shopping, food and drink all abound as you stammer over the Snowshoe walkways. It's a rough life aint it!:D

Pappy
07-06-2009, 09:06 AM
There are also activities for the whole family to while away the down time, which adds a touch of vacation feel to the race.

Pappy
07-06-2009, 09:07 AM
For many, just a good sit in a chair to take a load off was more then adequate!

Pappy
07-06-2009, 09:08 AM
I would say there was plenty of room for everyone this year!

Pappy
07-06-2009, 09:09 AM
The relaxation was about to come to an end however, as the sunset and the race clock was ticking away.

Pappy
07-06-2009, 12:59 PM
The day starts early for the Youth GNCC racers, and last minute tweaks are normal. The start is much different at this round then all others but these kids know the drill.

Pappy
07-06-2009, 01:02 PM
I hear alot of feedback in my travels when people see the young ladies that participate in the GNCC series. We dont see it as anything special because these fantastic young racers dont care that they are not boys:D

You will also notice Racedaypix was onboard this round to help us gather some images. This is one tough round for everyone involved including those charged with obtaining the photographs.

Thanks Dave!!

Pappy
07-06-2009, 01:03 PM
The course itself will test these small machines, as the altitude and changing elevation will really work them. The racers run what course they are given and will give it thier all no matter what!

Pappy
07-06-2009, 01:06 PM
The Grand Prix style start would have the racers lining up based on a number drawn at registration. The asphalt roadway provides enough of a challenge for the adult racers to get over safely but the youth seem to have it all under control!

Pappy
07-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Racing the clock is the main goal here, seeing that you can start several rows back from others in your class.

Pappy
07-06-2009, 01:09 PM
Wildman Charlie Welch wasn't wasting anytime and powerslides his DRR through the corner!

Pappy
07-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Nick Howarth was running strong as the racers were now onto the course.

Pappy
07-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Only two entries this round in Super Mini, and Levi Coen was off to a good start. His main nemesis, Ryan Early was absent this round.

Pappy
07-06-2009, 01:14 PM
Jay Shadron has really turned it on since opening the season witha 4th place finish. Shadron had a winning streak going strong until he ran into porblems at the Penton. Here at Snowshoe, Shadron was once again riding smooth and looked to do well

Pappy
07-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Shadron isnt the only racer makinga statement this season as Charlie Welch has been on a tear as well, claiming many wins so far. Welch had a few rounds he would like to do over but seems to be cruising his way to the class championship!

Pappy
07-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Tara Dunaway would race her heart out but would only be able to complete one lap this round. You'll get'em next round Tara!!

Pappy
07-06-2009, 01:39 PM
Speaking of the young ladies, Allie Slate would be giving it her all once again as she competes in the 90 Mod 12-15 class.

Pappy
07-06-2009, 01:41 PM
The course was so rough that Bill Ballance and Taylor Kiser had destroyed thier mini quads on the first lap and were reduced to walking it in:eek: :D

Im just kidding ofcourse, they were out there to see which one of these kids will be banging bars with them in the coming years:cool:

Pappy
07-06-2009, 01:45 PM
Charlie Welch and Brayden Schick battle as the laps were adding up

Pappy
07-06-2009, 01:46 PM
Micheal Mussi was a victim of mechanical issues among others

Pappy
07-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Jay Shadron wasn't suffering any problems as he held the lead in his class and was still moving up!

Pappy
07-06-2009, 01:52 PM
The day wouldnt be a success as far as results for everyone

Pappy
07-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Success doesn't always equal a win...sometimes its just about being out there competing!

Pappy
07-06-2009, 01:56 PM
Doug Howarth would find himself in command of the 90 Mod class and the overal wasn't out of his grasp

Pappy
07-06-2009, 01:58 PM
When the dust settled, we had someone new on the podium. Westley Wolfe from Meyersville Maryland would secure the 2nd overall position as well as winning the 90 Mod 8-11 class! Thats some awesome riding Westley!

Pappy
07-06-2009, 01:59 PM
Jay Shadron would claim the 3rd overall spot and take home his 7th class win of teh season!

Pappy
07-06-2009, 02:01 PM
Doug Howarth would seal the deal on the overall, marking his 4th overall of the season. He has a pretty firm lock on the 90 Mod class points as well!

Pappy
07-06-2009, 02:03 PM
Oh man...my main mini rider Charlie Welch was getting some serious smooches on the podium! Go Charlie Go!

Welch would claim the 70 CVT win!

Charlie also races a bike in sundays event and he scored himself a 7th in the 65cc class!

Pappy
07-07-2009, 02:40 AM
The morning race was getting ready to go as the sun finally filled most of the valleys that lay below the mountain crest that would once again see the GNCC series fire to life.

For Angel Atwell and Traci Cecco, this would be yet another epic battle between them as the pair duals it out for the Womens class championship. Atwell would be fighting back to overcome two rounds that have had her place well outside the top spot and she would have to make things right as Traci Cecco has found what seems to be a set up she can win on.

Pappy
07-07-2009, 02:43 AM
With a sea of orange support surrounding Atwell, Cecco would find herself having some room to get prepared for the start. Jeff Pickens hands off a bottle of water and it sure would be needed. The pace that these ladies set for themselves is intense and focused and an all out war. Cecco would as well find herself pinned to Atwell as the pairs points remain almost deadlocked as they have all season.

Pappy
07-07-2009, 02:47 AM
The pair wouldnt have to wait long before they were well on thier way to 2 hours of exciting racing. Atwell would rip her KTM to the front as they prepared to exit the pavement and find some dirt...and rocks...and roots:p

Pappy
07-07-2009, 02:53 AM
Jennifer Albright and Kirsten Atwell file in behind the leaders as they to prepare to start their day.

While Atwell and Cecco grab the spotlight more often then not, there are other stars in the Womens class that are working just hard if not harder to be competitive. At round 1, Albright expressed her goal of having more fun this season, and not letting pressure or difficulties get to her. Well, it must be working because she is riding 3rd in points and is running a pretty consistant season.

Kristen Atwell has shown her speed as well and has found the overall podium twice thus far. She sits just behind Albright, holding 4th in points.

Pappy
07-07-2009, 02:57 AM
#820, Jesi Stracham has been riding a roller coaster this season as she made the switch to the Womens class. With finishes that were good, but not where she would like to be being shown in the results column, Stracham would have to find her groove her at Snowshoe as she had yet to open up and give us what we all know she is capable of! If she could get a solid run in at this brutal event, maybe it would lead to some confidence and help her finish the first half of her season with some showing of how good a rider she is.

Pappy
07-07-2009, 02:59 AM
Glen Pritchard started off this season with a bang and liked the beat as he found himself running away with the Super Senior class points!

7 straight class wins would come to an end at the Penton and I was hoping to see him back up front and battling hard this round.

Pappy
07-07-2009, 03:07 AM
Micheal Swift has been putting together the perfect season and has been flawless in 7 rounds of competition.

Think about that for a minute. 7 rounds, 7 class wins, on a machine that weighs more then 3 times his weight, over some grueling courses. Mechanical failure strikes everyone at some point and that hasnt even reared its ugly head! I try and not single out anyone that I may cheer for as I prefer to cheer for everyone, but to be witness to what is being accomplished this season so far is pretty cool! So I cheer him on even when I wasn't there and I even thought about his results while I was on a MX track in Tennessee the day of this race, hoping for one more win for him.

Pappy
07-07-2009, 03:14 AM
Clifton Beasley was also off to a perfect season but would find himself finishing 2nd at round #7.

It may seem I give alot of attention to the top riders, and in a sense, we have to cover those that stand out, but when the top riders have some personality and really get into things, it makes it almost impossible to keep going back to them round after round wether they win or not. Several riders have figured out that being on top doesnt always mean winning and it sure seems to be helping them gain support, both from fans and financially. Hell, some of these guys in this series could ride a tricycle and finish dead last and I would still write about them, they are just good folks! My only regret is that I dont have the time to offer something to every rider, because all of you deserve it! I geuss there is a lesson in there somewhere, but at 5 am I cant express it:D

Pappy
07-07-2009, 03:17 AM
As much as I dislike shooting at this round, I can still feel the excitement as I look at these pictures. That howling sound for the tires, the sound of hard acceleration as it echos through the tall buildings....it is a cool expierence for sure.

Pappy
07-07-2009, 03:20 AM
The starts are way different for the racers, and for the fans. The bad part is you only get to see a small portion of it but that really cant be helped. Maybe I need an atvriders.com helicopter:p

Pappy
07-07-2009, 03:21 AM
The wrecks are a bit different here as well:p

Pappy
07-07-2009, 03:22 AM
Row after row after row launches off the line as the racers prepare for teh first turn.

Pappy
07-07-2009, 03:26 AM
Heck, even the way I have to cover the race is so different:p And not being there is really taxing me because I cant ID many of the riders on the re-sized images I have been supplied:scary:

I do know who this is, BJ Naugle and his unmistakable Yamaha:D BJ is one of those unsung heros I was refering to earlier in the coverage. Always with a hand out when he greets you, always a smile and even on a bad day he seems to find some good in his race.

Pappy
07-07-2009, 04:08 AM
Now this race is hard for photo-journalists to cover. It is the sole reason I took another assigment this round. And when I heard the track would be split with a 10 mile loop on one side of the mountain, and a 10 mile loop on the other, I knew I had made the right decision:p Not that I dont love you guys (in a Bud Light commercial way), but it drives me crazy not being able to do get what I expect to get. Hats off to those that braved the mountain trek!

I was hoping Jeremi Dudding would keep his cool and not rocket off the side of a cliff here at Snowshoe. The terrain is akin to where the boy lives and I knew he would be pushing hard.

Jeremi spills the beans in his race report so I wont add to it!
http://www.atvriders.com/atvnews/canam2009-gncc-09-xteam-jerime-dudding-racing.html

Pappy
07-07-2009, 04:16 AM
I know a few of you treebashers like it rough, and I mean real rough. And for those brave souls that enjoy the torture, more power to you!

Rocks, big, small, sharp or smooth, wet and dry, visable or hiden, the place has enough to satisfy you rock-hounds. Add to that the roots, the trees, the mud and crud and you have one race that for some is to much:p Hey I admit it, I wouldn't even want to trail ride the thing! Racer productions claim this is the toughest round and I would say the majority would agree. My only gripe about the comparison between these "Blackwater 100" comparative races is that the machines back then didn't cost $15k to build only to be leveled at the race:D Hey...im just an old guy with a knack of taking decent pictures what the hell do I know:blah:

Swift didnt have to push as hard as he did but you can't keep these guys down. Anyone who follows these coverage threads and hasn't ever raced with these guys at a national have no clue what I am getting at. It is something you have to see with your own eyes, or be out on the track with them to see it upclose and personal.

Pappy
07-07-2009, 04:18 AM
And you can't really capture on film what the terrain is and how it changes lap to lap during the race. And it amazes me how fast the top riders adapt to a small line that opens up or how they seem to find just the right line through a rock garden.

Pappy
07-07-2009, 04:22 AM
Regardless of what the terrain was that would be faced, 2 hours alone at top speed is a feat in itself. Angel Atwell would face some challenges as she fell to 6th as she scored her first lap.

Pappy
07-07-2009, 04:24 AM
Traci Cecco as well would not hold the lead as she checked in. Infact, neither Atwell nor Cecco would see the top two positions, even as lap 3 was scored!

Pappy
07-07-2009, 04:26 AM
With bottlenecks and getting stuck or even a wreck here and there, the positions would change almost on every lap it seemed.

Lexie Coulter would be the leader as lap 1 was scored but would succumb to the race and drop back to 5th

Pappy
07-07-2009, 04:29 AM
Micheal Swift picks his way through some serious rocks! Swift would not waste his time swapping anyone for the lead, he likes it and decided to keep it!

Pappy
07-07-2009, 04:30 AM
Daryl Rath gives his suspension a work out!

Pappy
07-07-2009, 04:32 AM
It doesn't even look like fun at times:p getting stuck in mud is bad, but i think getting hung up good in a rock garden is worse

Pappy
07-07-2009, 04:34 AM
The racers caught a little...very little ..break from the nasty stuff just long enough to catch about half a breath:p

Frank Batista has been chugging along and I think he is really starting to get enough of this XC stuff under his belt that he is having some fun and doing pretty well. Batista would finish 3rd in 4x4 Open

Pappy
07-07-2009, 04:46 AM
Scott Kilby would be handing out his own form of Mountaineer justice as he ripped to the win in 4x4 Open.

Fingers are crossed that by Unadilla we could see Byran Buckhannon back in action, atleast in some form.

Pappy
07-07-2009, 04:47 AM
Dudding would pound his way to a win in U2 and his time was good enough for 2nd overall!

Pappy
07-07-2009, 04:48 AM
Angel Atwell would battle back and find the winning spot in the Womens class!

Pappy
07-07-2009, 04:49 AM
Traci Cecco would also bounce around the position ladder but would find her way back to the front and follow Atwell in for 2nd

Pappy
07-07-2009, 04:51 AM
For Micheal Swift, the class wina nd the overall would net him a few more trophies for his soon to be built "room of excellence":p

This win sealed the deal on the class championship!

Pappy
07-07-2009, 04:54 AM
So thats what it takes to get Dudding to take a bath...a trip to the podium:eek: :blah:

Good job young man....way to keep it here at home;)

U2 points leader Rick Cecco put in a solid race and more then likely had his eye on the points over pushing for a few more positions. Rick finished 8th at todays event

Pappy
07-07-2009, 04:55 AM
The mud-fleas hamming it up. Good job guys, I didnt have to see it to know you helped out alot of folks ...thanks!

Pappy
07-07-2009, 04:57 AM
Your morning podium folks, Micheal Swift, Jeremi Dudding and Scott Kilby. Can Am has to have a smile on after this one!

Pappy
07-07-2009, 04:57 AM
No geussing on how the Warnert Team felt!

Pappy
07-07-2009, 04:58 AM
Soon.....;)

Pappy
07-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Walker Fowler....a name that if you dont know, you will surely be hearing over the coming years as he stomps his way to the XC1 Pro class. I dont see anything stopping him honestly, he is just one of those riders with everything in place to make it and make it big. Fowler commands the College A class points and looks to be well on his way to the class championship if he continues his winning ways

Pappy
07-08-2009, 08:35 PM
A large parking lot is home to Pro row at this round, offering everyone a solid footing to do their thing:p

Pappy
07-08-2009, 08:36 PM
The GP style start is sure an awesome sight!

Pappy
07-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Getting a good spot to watch the start at this round is paramount for many. It's pretty cool watching it all come together

Pappy
07-08-2009, 08:39 PM
Glen Pritchard wasn't done racing for the day and was seen picking on 3 kids egging them on to give him a run on his bike:p

Pappy
07-08-2009, 08:40 PM
There are times I wish I could set the cameras down and race again, and then there is Snow Shoe:blah: It looks rough and is rough!

Pappy
07-08-2009, 08:42 PM
The start time was drawing near as everyone finished up getting those white legs pink!

Pappy
07-08-2009, 08:43 PM
Hooper and his film crews take the high ground!!

Pappy
07-08-2009, 09:07 PM
The green flag would wave and the racers were off! Fowler would get the jump on his row and was off and running!

Pappy
07-08-2009, 09:08 PM
It didnt take long before track workers were signaling to the riders to slow a bit at the first turn

Pappy
07-08-2009, 09:09 PM
The XC tires dont like to slide to well on dry pavement!

Pappy
07-08-2009, 09:10 PM
And the haybales can take a punch!

Pappy
07-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Bar to Bar!

Pappy
07-08-2009, 09:16 PM
When the Pro's were cut loose, Chris Borich would get his Suzuki out front early as he pulls out of teh first turn. Bill Ballance would check the grass out just for good measure!

Pappy
07-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Yeah I got a few start pictures out of order:p I'm not used to having 7 folders between two photographers to dig through:blah:

Every second counts at this event, maybe more so then all others.

Pappy
07-08-2009, 09:28 PM
With two twenty mile laps ahead, it would be a battle royal for teh front runners. Adam McGill would grab the lead and score his first lap but then have to return to the pits for an extended repair. Adam had broken a foot peg and it would cost him an hour. Retruning to the race, McGill would finish his day taking the 19th position.

Pappy
07-08-2009, 09:31 PM
McGill wasn't the only racer having issues, as Mark Nottman would hit something on the course and send his heel gaurd into his rear tire.

Pappy
07-08-2009, 09:33 PM
The course itself would have everything, dust, rocks, mud...you name it!

Pappy
07-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Brandon Sommers would put in a valiant effort and finish the day in 4th

Pappy
07-08-2009, 09:35 PM
XC2 racer Parker Jones exits his pit and heads back out. Jones would finish 6th in XC2

Pappy
07-08-2009, 09:38 PM
The XC1 class was going to be turned on its head as the usual front runners were really mixing it up. Kiser has been on a roll, but would finish 9th this round

Pappy
07-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Duane Johnson would have a solid day, keeping his solid finishes intact as he slipped in taking 10th

Pappy
07-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Withe teh folks at Snow Shoe opening up new areas to Racer Productions, space to build a course was not an issue

Pappy
07-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Chris Borich had missed a turn and was forced to back track to find the marked track. He would spend some time working back to the front

Pappy
07-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Brian Wolf would just put his head down and race, just like has been doing since round 1. The problem is, with time ticking away, he just happened to be closing in on a huge upset!

Pappy
07-08-2009, 09:44 PM
Bill Ballance would remain behind Borich as the pair made their way around the mountain

Pappy
07-08-2009, 09:46 PM
Chris Bithell would get in another decent round that would see him inside the top 10 by taking the 7th spot

Pappy
07-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Santo Derisi would have a tough time taming the Shoe, but I can bet you he had fun:p

Pappy
07-08-2009, 09:56 PM
When the mud dried, or the dust settled...or the last rock stopped rolling...Chris Borich would see the checkered flag first.

Pappy
07-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Ballance would slide into 2nd....but all eyes would be on the clock!

Pappy
07-08-2009, 09:58 PM
When Wolf came in, it was all she wrote! He would cliam the win by time and the big money!!!

Pappy
07-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Brian is a super guy on or off the track, and for him to get this win and prize money is just fantastic!

Pappy
07-08-2009, 10:00 PM
The riders looked pretty whooped. Jarrod McClure had done his best and was rewarded with a great 4th place finish!

Pappy
07-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Bithell looked like the gladiator these guys are!

Pappy
07-08-2009, 10:02 PM
I bet that if you asked these guys to run one more lap...you would be ducking roost before the last word left your lips!

Pappy
07-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Ryan Lane would get in a good ride here at Snow Shoe, taking 8th. I told you all last year he was good:D

Pappy
07-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Jeff Pickens would suffer some skun arms after a get off:(

Hope your ok Jeff

Pappy
07-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Matt Smiley would climb out of retirement to get a shot at that $10,000 prize! matt would finish 11th

Pappy
07-09-2009, 09:28 AM
The podium celebration would be huge, with a centrally located podium, and plenty of room, fans and racers gather around to show their support

Pappy
07-09-2009, 09:29 AM
The cheering for Wolfs win was epic, as a privateer would claim the money and the glory on this day!

Pappy
07-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Bill ballance would get his share for a days work, taking home the $3000 for 3rd place. Ballance would also comment on this round from the podium and state that maybe this should be a money round and not a points round. I geuss the entire issue is open for debate ofcourse, could be interesting if the issue is pushed for a change next season

While Bill's season has been frustrating at times for him, he doesn't quit and knows what he needs to do. He is currently ranked 4th in the XC1 Pro class and is looking for more!

Pappy
07-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Chris Borich would take the XC1 win, and 2nd overall netting him a $5000 payout. Borich continues to hold a solid grasp on the XC1 points and if all else remains the same, we should be looking at our 2010 Champion in the making!

Pappy
07-09-2009, 09:50 AM
The moment will always remain for Wolf, who took the top honors and the big money! A huge congrats to the entire Wolf family for the win and their success!

It has been stated that Wolf would not be back for the 2010 season and I hope that is not the case. His performance this season alone should be solid enough for some serious support and a run at the championship next season.

Pappy
07-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Wolfs overall would shadow his XC2 win, but the podium wasn't empty! Josh Kirkland put in another stellar ride netting him 2nd!

Pappy
07-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Eric Hoyland would round out the top 3 in XC2 and while the past 3 rounds have seen him struggle, Hoyland was back in top form on his home states turf!

Pappy
07-09-2009, 09:57 AM
Walker Fowler would once again claim the top amatuer spot and this round ould once again see him victorious in College A.

Pappy
07-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Thats all I have for you folks. I want to thank Harlen and Dave for catching the action, I know it wasn't easy!

The series heads to it's summer break, however for most of teh racers there will be little to no downtime as they stay focused on racing. Try to take a few minutes and relax, Yadkinville will be here before you know it!

Flynbryan19
07-09-2009, 11:58 AM
Great coverage guys. This was in my opinion the funnest track to date. I had a blast racing and the night time was just as much if not more fun than the racing!