PDA

View Full Version : 2003 250EX wont crank

Ba9801
07-06-2009, 08:08 AM
Hi

I am trying to get a friends 250ex running for him and it wont crank. The starter has been checked by a starter repair shop and is in working condition. The electrical system is in good shap, the starter will crank out of the engine and connected to the bikes wiring, so it looks as though there may be a problem in the engine. The quad sat for 2 years. The oil is good and I have pulled the spark plug out and put oil in the cylinder to make sure the rings are not stuck in the bore. I am very unfamiliar with this engine and was not sure if there was a way to turn the engine by hand to see if there is an engine problem or possibly a stuck clutch etc... I would hate to rip the whole motor down for something simple.
Any help or thought would be great

hondariderdylan
07-06-2009, 08:15 AM
so it will turn over but it wont run on its own?

Ba9801
07-06-2009, 10:19 AM
no it will not turn over by the starter. It is like it is hydro-locked but I have the plug out. I just am looking for a way to manually turn the engine so I can see if it is seized or if there is some other problem.
Thanks

hondariderdylan
07-06-2009, 11:04 AM
it could probably stand a rebuild

Ba9801
07-06-2009, 12:17 PM
But I am trying to find out if I can turn the engine by hand, can I take either the front or rear case covers off and get to a crank bolt or flywheel so I can turn the engine to see if it is frozen?

hondariderdylan
07-06-2009, 01:08 PM
my buddys recon had a little plate taken off of it that exposed a flywheel(i think)?

its at the back of the motor on the left side when your sitting on it and has a few bolts holding it on

try that

dirtdawg
07-06-2009, 03:18 PM
no, it's the crankshaft bolt. you can spin it using that. it should be very easy to turn. it's on the backside of the engine in front of the rear swing-arm. it's like 4 bolts. make sure the fuel system is good and the fuel filter inside the tank is good. clean the carb too once you get closer to finishing. if it is really hard to turn, you may want to tear into it. and check out the top end at least.

Ba9801
07-06-2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks alot, I will look for the cover so I can get access to the crank bolt and let you know how it goes.
I know the fuel system will need to be gone over as well but I wanted to get it cranking free first.
Thanks again and I will give an update tomorrow when I get a chance to take a look at it.