PDA

View Full Version : think shes blown =O

Tims660rap
07-05-2009, 08:25 PM
ok well ive been having some fuel issuies or what ive believed to be fuel issies....bike boggin pinned and whatnot.....well today she starts after 5 kicks let it warm up a bit. on dry pavement barely popped wheelie in 1st she usually comes straight up. shift to second no power. start driving around block knock knock knock loud knock.....not much power...shut her down....topend junk or what??

ppeengines
07-06-2009, 01:55 AM
Sounds like your topend. When was the last time you freshened up your topend with the 13:5:1 piston? I see thats what you have in your tag. You said "block knock knock knock loud knock", were your tires locking up/squacking on the pavement? If so your crank is seizing up. If she ran fine the last time and this time she is running like crap, I would say your rings are shot, and its time to redo the topend. Once you go that high of compression piston your your reliability goes down and your your routine of topend life span shortens too. So if you have checked your fuel lines, filter and they are good, its your topend. Has it had the crank redone, the 04-05 were notorious for failing and need a heavy duty crank. Good luck.

Tims660rap
07-06-2009, 04:16 AM
At first it did feel like the rear tires were locking up..I though my brake was appplied I was like wtf but then it free rolled fine with clutch in...it onli did it for like 2 seconds and when it did that it wasn't knocking..started knocking amin or 2 later and I shut it down....kciked it over just for ****s and all u can hear is what sounds like the piston crackling as it strokes

ppeengines
07-06-2009, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by Tims660rap
At first it did feel like the rear tires were locking up..I though my brake was appplied I was like wtf but then it free rolled fine with clutch in...it onli did it for like 2 seconds and when it did that it wasn't knocking..started knocking amin or 2 later and I shut it down....kciked it over just for ****s and all u can hear is what sounds like the piston crackling as it strokes

Stop kicking it over!!! You will start to score your cylinder and might ruin it. Take it apart and see whats going on inside of it. Thats what it does when your crank starts to seize up, the tires start to lock up some then break free and lock up then break free. I already went through this with mine. I was like awww F@$&!! New exactly what just happened. This happens when you over rev it too much in most cases.
It sound like you will be doing the top and bottomend. I know you dont want to hear that, nobody does. But when you get the cylinder off and your connecting rod does not move freely and the tolerances are not in spec, you will be splitting the cases and doing your crank. You didnt answer if you had the crank redone with a heavy duty one? If you do split the cases, do it right. Replace all the bearings and seals and o-rings in it so you know everything is right and put a new piston and rings in it. It can be very costly but it the best way to do it. Good luck.

Tims660rap
07-06-2009, 08:43 AM
Only kicked it over once for ****s.....if bottom is gone what do I need a new crank how can I tell its shot...

Ruf Racing
07-06-2009, 12:59 PM
Pull out the oil filter. If there is metal shavings, cranks finished.

Tims660rap
07-06-2009, 04:04 PM
Is this 100% metthod of crank gone or nah

Tims660rap
07-06-2009, 06:40 PM
again how else can i tell its my crank not just topend.....? how expensive can replacing crank go about...what needs to eb replaced with

Tims660rap
07-06-2009, 08:02 PM
day befoe it blew it wouldnt stat that easy...took about 6 kicks on last kick it felt as if something broke when i kicked it over,,,and after that kicking never felt 100% the same....sign of crank or sumtin else???? if cranks blown could topend be fine?

d3ktrix
07-06-2009, 08:54 PM
Start by taking out the oil filter and spark plug.

No one can tell you for sure what happened, could be many things.
Time to start looking inside.

Tims660rap
07-09-2009, 07:50 PM
ok motors out of frame on a bench apart..canks destroyed shavings EVERYWHERE. im fine with replacing crank i understood that they do fail in most 04-05s. piston is fine, didn not hit valves, cylinde walls are fine.......poblem IS i cannt come across a crank. i wanted a hotods crank, and their back ordered. i gues you cant buy them ight now because they wee recalled for not holding up? i dont want a stock oem crank as those dont hold up either and 06+ dont fit and their the only cranks available....anyone else in this jam? im cluless atm

d3ktrix
07-09-2009, 08:15 PM
The OEM crank&bearings with the updated collar is the most reliable choice IMO.

Hotrod cranks need to be balanced when used with an aftermarket piston. If you do use a HR crank, I recommend using OEM bearings.

Tims660rap
07-09-2009, 08:25 PM
the problem is even coming across one...i cant even come across a HR and oem...ehhh

mjc597
07-09-2009, 09:23 PM
i know a kid i race with who's been waiting for an oem crank for like a month or more now. it's still on backorder !! he said he can't find one anywhere else so he's just waiting..

Tims660rap
07-10-2009, 04:25 AM
Exactly...I guess theirs no other choice, sucks

Balaz_73*00
07-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Is that really true about the cranks being recalled?? My crank went out on tuesday but my local shop had a hotrods in stock and its in the process of going in the bike now. I dont want to be putting in a recalled part!!

Edit: Ok I got the low down. They were never recalled, they ARE redesigning a new 04-05 model NOW because Honda has redesigned their model. He said the old model is still fine but that they just keep up with what Honda is putting out

Ruf Racing
07-11-2009, 05:42 AM
I'm running a balanced HR crank since last fall. No problems.
;)

Ruf Racing
07-11-2009, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by Balaz_73*00
Is that really true about the cranks being recalled?? My crank went out on tuesday but my local shop had a hotrods in stock and its in the process of going in the bike now. I dont want to be putting in a recalled part!!

Edit: Ok I got the low down. They were never recalled, they ARE redesigning a new 04-05 model NOW because Honda has redesigned their model. He said the old model is still fine but that they just keep up with what Honda is putting out

I just noticed your in Lafayette, my mother lives about 20 miles
east of you in Bringhurst. Cool Beans !!!!!!!!!:)