PDA

View Full Version : sparks key with a 416?

J.J.
07-05-2009, 06:27 PM
is it safe to do as long as you keep it at an 11:1 or less?

416exman21
07-05-2009, 07:55 PM
i put in a sparks key and rode it and took it right out ...i didn't like it ....alot of people disagree with me but alot agree....all my friends race too and none use sparks keys either......we all tried it out and it sucks, i went back to stock and it fells way better...i felt like i lost my bottom end alittle bit and thats what i like about mine....it did ok when in a drag at high end but low end sucked......not a big increase to switch from stock.....but as far as your question it should be fine as long as you like the way it fells....but my opinion a waste of time to put it in ....and i know somebody is going to say i put it in wrong or something ,it is pretty dummy proof to do.....and in a drag with a bike that is equal with the sparks key in i spanked it bye a bike and a half and it was an equal rider same class....not much but anough not to change

Snipe
07-05-2009, 10:17 PM
You prob installed right but a full 6 degree's might not a worked since you have a bigger than stock bore.

Wheelie I believe is selling other keys such as +1 to +6 with all the inbetween's I think his responded best to a +4.

All bikes are different might be better with one over the other in my bike stock bore works great all around. Mostly helps mid and top end and I didnt notice any loss in the bottom but again thats a stock bore.

Might talk to wheelie he might be able to help you believe he was selling them with the fly wheel puller bolt for $20 shipped ($10) cheaper than sparks if you include shipping in there price.

Wheelie
07-06-2009, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by J.J.
is it safe to do as long as you keep it at an 11:1 or less?

Mine responded very well to the added timing. The Sparks key was too much so I machined the stocker down for a +4 timing advance and that was the money shot.

The quad revs much quicker and more power from idle to the rev limiter. If you're interested, I have another +4 available w/a puller.

BTW--I do recommend running atleast 100octane when timing is advanced with 11:1+ compression.