PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Help

BKLEM
07-05-2009, 01:25 PM
I have had my 00 400ex for a while now, I bought it off a guy and when i bought it the clutch was always really tight and hard to pull back, it always wears my arm out then i go riding and i'm tired of it. Does anyone know what the problem could be, i've checked the cable and it's not that. I don't know anything about clutches so i need some help.

Gibson
07-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Its your cable, mine was really hard to pull and it hurt my wrist on long rides, and i always thought it was my HD clutch springs. But when i replaced my clutch cable, it made a major difference, its butter smooth now. Just spend the 15 bucks to get a new one

BKLEM
07-05-2009, 04:02 PM
its not my cable i've pulled it off the bracket that holds it to the lever on the clutch and it pull through really easy

Gibson
07-05-2009, 05:00 PM
when my clutch started to wear, it got softer not harder, it could be your actuator arm bearing, or it could have something to do with the little plunger that pushes your clutch in

honda400ex2003
07-05-2009, 05:01 PM
then you most likely have hd springs. i would look into getting some stock plates, fibers, and springs and jsut put a whole new clutch in it while you are inside changing the springs. chances are it is getting worn out anyway. steve

BKLEM
07-05-2009, 05:09 PM
when you say just put a new clutch in it do you mean get a clutch kit or what?

honda400ex2003
07-05-2009, 05:30 PM
pretty much, but get the stock honda stuff to put back in it if it is still stock. It requires new friction plates, and steel plates, along with the stock springs. while you are buying oem stuff get a new arm and puller peice that go inside of the cover and through the cover. one pushes the plates apart and the other is the arm that goes through the cover. this is what gibson is talking about. you can do the whole thing while you are in there. the other possibility is that your basket could be getting wore out and is grooving up making it hard to push the plates apart cause they are getting stuck in the grooves. the baskets are a bit more money but if you need one then i guess you need one. if you are sure it is not the cable i guess you should tear it apart and see what everything looks like. while you are at it get a new gasket cause you will need one when you pull it apart. good luck, steve

BKLEM
07-05-2009, 06:22 PM
thanks that helps a lot

BKLEM
07-05-2009, 06:34 PM
thanks that helps a lot

honda400ex2003
07-05-2009, 08:18 PM
hey no prob bro good luck. steve

fromtheside88
04-27-2010, 10:23 AM
I know you said it's not the cable but have you tried changin it? I know i'm statin the obvious and trust me i am not tryin to question ur intelligence