PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Quick

Sparks425Ex
01-06-2003, 04:47 PM
I just instaleld my Sparks Ignition Key. DO I have to find TDC now?

And How do I do it?

jskance
01-06-2003, 07:00 PM
You dont need to find TDC unless you want to adjust the valve clearences for tune-up purposes. As long as you put the timing key in correctly (key in slot on shaft....) close up the engine case and go ride. Nothing to adjust down on the crank.

To find TDC for adjusting the valves - there are several ways. Use the old timing marks as guide to get you close to TDC and then use a drinking straw inserted through the spark plug hole presses against the top of the piston to make sure the piston is at TDC (move the crank back and forth, rotating it slowly while watching the straw - after the straw comes up it will pause for a bit and then start to drop again). TDC is the point at which the straw is not ascending or descending - its all the way up.

You can also use the timing marks to get close and then open up the valve cover on the top of the engine. When both cam rockers are lose (i.e., not under tersion downward) the motor is at TDC (usually the rockers are on the backside or flat part of the cam at this point).

Good luck and enjoy.... :)