PDA

View Full Version : hare scramble tires

BD444
07-04-2009, 09:15 AM
Which do you guys think would be the best set up for scrambles. What sizes also.
I don't know if i want 20 for stability and handling or 22 for clearance in rears.

honda400ex2003
07-04-2009, 10:00 AM
i voted for the x-rex it is closest to the razrs. it all depends on what the course looks like. the muddier the course the more bite you need. if you are riding a trail type stuff get a razr or holeshot i have never really had any trouble with my r's unless it is like 6"deep mud for 20 feet or something like that. if it is muddy get a xc or xcr holeshot or the klaw. why not look at the razr 2? they are good too. If you hit the stuff with some momentum you should make it through anyway. good luck on choosing. Steve

BD444
07-04-2009, 10:04 AM
my logic was X-Rex is the same thing just cheaper. I didnt want people to vote rzr2 just cause its maxxis.

honda400ex2003
07-04-2009, 10:48 AM
i guess that amy be true with the 2's. i would go with xrex razr or the 2s if it is gets muddy but they are all good tires when used right in the right conditions. they are all a bit different and shine in different places. tires are a tough thing to recommend or say which is best cause they are all the best in different situations. steve

MtnEX
07-04-2009, 09:39 PM
The GBC X-Rex is proving to be an excellent tire. It's basically a Razr2 copy, or maybe they make'm for Maxxis... who knows.

The Kenda Kutter is too new for many people to tell you much about it.

The Holeshot GNCC is along the same lines as the Razr type tires up front. Except the center ridge of knobbies has more spacing. The rear is a bit lighter, but also only 10" wide. The tread pattern is VERY open.

Myself, I have a Holeshot HD Rear / XC front combo on my 400EX... This is an excellent setup for anything... but the wear is on the fast side, maybe even a little faster on the XC fronts.

I have regular Razr tires on all 4 on my Polaris Sport 400. This is not quite as flashy looking a tire as the Holeshot HD, nor is the tread as deep... But this is an absolute excellent set of tires. I mean excellent. And the wear seems really slow.

I have a set of Holeshot GNCC tires on my Kawasaki 450R. The jury is still out on these because I don't have enough ride time. The tread is very deep and very open, and all 4 tires are NARROW.

I figure that traction-wise, I won't be able to tell a difference in any of them... probably not until I get is some very tacky clay mud. Then and only then, I think the Holeshot GNCC tire will have the edge.... where the mud is extremely tacky and packy... I don't think these will pack up, where the others MIGHT.

And on really hard terrain, the harder Razr might not have as much bite as the softer Holeshot split knobbies.

Gibson
07-04-2009, 11:06 PM
I've had my GNCC's since october of 2007 and they are the ONLY tires i will buy for my quad. They get traction in every type of terrain and they NEVER cake up with mud. Even when they get wore down, they get more traction than most tires.

Tommy Warren
07-04-2009, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Gibson
I've had my GNCC's since october of 2007 and they are the ONLY tires i will buy for my quad. They get traction in every type of terrain and they NEVER cake up with mud. Even when they get wore down, they get more traction than most tires.

X2 but I got mine in january! ;)

iownatoyota
07-05-2009, 03:06 PM
ive been really satisfied with my razr 2's :)

MtnEX
07-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by iownatoyota
ive been really satisfied with my razr 2's :)

What have you had other than Razr2's and how do you feel the compare in cornering, steering and sliding?

Is the steering effort lighter at the bars?

Do the rears break loose and slide when you want them to?

I thought about trying them or the X-Rex for my next set of tires.

iownatoyota
07-06-2009, 06:32 AM
i had holeshot gncc's before this and i was really impressed witht the way they hooked up but the tread life was horrible, one season of riding and they were wore down to a 1/4 tread. razrs grab anywhere and just hammer on the gas to ge tthem to break.

jcs003
07-06-2009, 06:44 AM
those kenda klaws are pretty good. you see those on alot of baja 500 bikes.

AZ440ex
07-07-2009, 05:26 PM
I have run Holeshots, Kenda Klaws, Kenda Knarly's and now Razr's.

The Klaws pull great in a staight line and corner ok.
The Knarly's wear like iron but lack in cornering.
IMO holeshots just suck
My razr's have held up well and get all kinds of traction, a little over priced, the GBC's are a good copy. If you look at alot of the Worcs racers they run the Razr 2, it's a good 6 ply tire.

Next set is going to be the new Hoosiers, I heard they work well.

MtnEX
07-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by AZ440ex

Next set is going to be the new Hoosiers, I heard they work well.

That's not really a Hoosier...

It's a CST Ambush tire...

But it does not mean it's not a good tire.
I came really super close to getting them.

I was just a little unsure of the profile of the front tire.
It's a little square, where as the other tires have a high center knobbie design.

Please remember me when you get them.
I'd really appreciate a review.