PDA

View Full Version : need help ASAP!!!

yellowhonda400
07-03-2009, 04:04 PM
ok so my praking brake thing on th caliber was cracked, so i bought a block off plate like i was told to. my new problem is when i put the block off plate on my quad wont move, its like it is engaged in park. Also there is no spot to put a gasket in so the brake fluid won't leak out. anyone know who to fix this i need help ASAP.

katch26
07-03-2009, 04:16 PM
when you remove that part did fluids come out? if so the brake caliper will be right where you left it. You will have to bleed the rear brake caliper again.

edit: mine situation was slightly different than normal because the caliper ended up needing to be replaced or rebuilt.

yellowhonda400
07-03-2009, 04:20 PM
i did that. but the quad is still engaged in park

katch26
07-03-2009, 04:39 PM
did you pull the caliper when you did that?, compress the piston? the only thing different is what you did to the rear caliper so the problem is in the rear caliper. The parking brake is just a cable the pulls an assembly with a large bolt in it that puts constant pressure on the brake piston in the caliber and you removed the part the cable connects to so it cant physically still be on

BEAVER.989
07-03-2009, 04:53 PM
Man, I didn't have any of these problems. When I removed mine nothing leaked out. I just pulled the old assembly, coated the block off plate with a dose of silicone and put it back on with two bolts...

If you've removed the assembly, there is no way it's engaged. You have bigger problems.

katch26
07-03-2009, 04:59 PM
yeah mine torn oring from the piston and fluid flying out of that thing. I ended up having to buy a new (to me) caliper.

good point though I forgot I ended up having to do that.

yellowhonda400
07-03-2009, 09:10 PM
i kow it makes no sense. when the block of plate is on tight its seems like the quad is engaged in park. once you loosen the plate the quad rolls fine. i dontget what he problem is unless for some reason the brakesget tighter when you tighten the plate and press againts the rotor

xcracer416
07-03-2009, 09:21 PM
actually guys i have had this same issue, almost. If you took the two 12mm bolts out and removed your parking brake assembly, and installed the block off plate. If it wont move take the bloke off plate off, try to roll the quad by hand, if it moves you have the problem i had. The block off plate (tusk)was not machined deep enough letting the piston pin get pushed in by the block-off plate acting like the park brake is on. I fixed this problem by getting some gasket material from napa, very cheap, and making me a gasket. I had to triple layer the gasket material, so i actually made three gaskets. if you have never mde a gasket like this, just take off your block-off plate and trace the outline and bolt holes. cut them out and in the center i took a hole punch and made a big hole in the center with it. That works like a charm and sealed it.

now if you take off your block off, and try to push your quad and it still dont move im gonna say your caliper is screwed. I have know idea why your parking brake leaked fluid, are you sure it wasnt water or some sort of other stuff thats not brake fluid?
water can get through the parking brake assembly on the calipers,been that road and learned that the hard way.

i hope this makes sense to you, cause it works like a friggin champ

BakerRacing40
07-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by yellowhonda400
i kow it makes no sense. when the block of plate is on tight its seems like the quad is engaged in park. once you loosen the plate the quad rolls fine. i dontget what he problem is unless for some reason the brakesget tighter when you tighten the plate and press againts the rotor

some block off plates wont work on certain models.. the relief in the center isn't deep enough. i have LSR on my yfz and 400ex... i'd see about getting one that has a deeper cut it'll probably be thicker overall also. but i'd keep the one you have not too, if you have to leave it in the back of your truck or something you have a theft prevention device that no body will guess...

yellowhonda400
07-04-2009, 08:13 AM
actually guys i have had this same issue, almost. If you took the two 12mm bolts out and removed your parking brake assembly, and installed the block off plate. If it wont move take the bloke off plate off, try to roll the quad by hand, if it moves you have the problem i had. The block off plate (tusk)was not machined deep enough letting the piston pin get pushed in by the block-off plate acting like the park brake is on. I fixed this problem by getting some gasket material from napa, very cheap, and making me a gasket. I had to triple layer the gasket material, so i actually made three gaskets. if you have never mde a gasket like this, just take off your block-off plate and trace the outline and bolt holes. cut them out and in the center i took a hole punch and made a big hole in the center with it. That works like a charm and sealed it.

This is my probelm. its acutally my friends quad and bought a mosseblock of plate form the dealer. So your saying if i but more gaskets in it it will work?

Ba9801
07-04-2009, 08:25 AM
try to measure the depth of the recess in your cover and see if you can possibly drill it a bit deeper to clear the piston on the caliper. If there is not enough material in the block off plate then yes multiple gaskets will act as a shim to bring the plate away from the piston.

honda400ex2003
07-04-2009, 10:54 AM
otherwise if you dont want to get a different block off you have to grind down the end that hits the inside. otherwise it will kep hitting it until the pads wear enough to get to the point where it is far enough in. i know a lot of people have to do this with the blocks. i didnt but honda#4 had to when he had it on ihis machine. my pads are half wore out so the parking brake post is in far enough. when i change pads i will have to grind it down again. it is just the nature of the beast i guess. that is all you can do otherwise get a deeper one. steve

RIDEREDson
07-04-2009, 12:07 PM
I have a tusk and I have no idea what your talkin about. They give you a o-ring to use with it and new screws. Fit like a glove and had no problems.

Ba9801
07-04-2009, 02:22 PM
I have a pro armor one and it fit without modification as well, But some other brands dont fit correctly so you need to modify them or add gaskets to space it out.

yellowhonda400
07-05-2009, 11:09 AM
ok so we fixed the problems but now thegaskets keep ripping. what kind of gaskets did you guys use. Thanks

xcracer416
07-05-2009, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by yellowhonda400
ok so we fixed the problems but now thegaskets keep ripping. what kind of gaskets did you guys use. Thanks

how are they ripping? if you overtighten them they will tear. I used a piece of gasket material from napa, ive also used a piece of rubber, you can get that at a parts store also, it comes in a roll. They sold me the rubber by the foot, one foot will be more than enough.

if you can find a suzuki or kawasaki dealership nearby they have gaskets on thier parking brake set-ups instead of o-rings. you might can order a few from them if they dont have any in stock.

but a piece of gasket material will fix you up, dont over tighten and lock tight, you wont ever have to take it off again unless you replace the caliper.

yellowhonda400
07-06-2009, 10:34 AM
we bought gasket material from an auto parts store. its rubber and theysell it by the foot. so we cutit out and we used 3 of them because one was too small. So we put it on and we don;t over tighten but it works for about 5 to 10 mintues then it brakes andbrake fluid comes flying out.

honda400ex2003
07-06-2009, 11:06 AM
something else must be wrong to be having a different problem if you have brake fluid coming out of the block off plate. there should not be anything coming out of that. steve

Ba9801
07-06-2009, 12:15 PM
yea it sounds like you have a bad caliper. There should not be any fluid in the block off plate area

katch26
07-06-2009, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Ba9801
yea it sounds like you have a bad caliper. There should not be any fluid in the block off plate area

thats what I was saying with mine.....when I took the off the plate fluid poured out of mine (not water) and I ended up having to replace it.