PDA

View Full Version : Whats the easiest,most affordable car to build up and make fast?

S.A.J
07-03-2009, 11:14 AM
So ive been wondering and thinking about this for awhile now,what would be the easiest,most affordable car or even truck to build up and make something outa performance wise to get it to run real good,baisicly strait line performance.I been wanting to get me a project car or truck for awhile now something that runs good and has a good drivetrain but mayb needs mostly cosmetic work done on it for like the $2,500 to mayb $3,000 range and down.You know something i can tinker around on and fix up and make nice for when i can drive without having to spend to much money on making it look decent and completely drivable.Ive looked on craigslist alot and there seem to be alota older muscle cars and lotsss of like 80's and 70's model trucks with hoped up 350's in them or other motors theyve spent alot into but then everything else is lacking and thy run outa money and then sell for cheap.So i started this thread to let everyone discuss and share theyre opinions on whats the best platform for this or what the best way to go about this is...I see alota 5.0 mustangs around n forsale pretty cheap,idk if im a mustang fan though(more chevy) and then theres the 90-96 twin turbo 300zx that id save i could get a nice one for 5-7k and go from there...

All in all im wondering would it b smart to get a good runing project with a good platform to start on for cheap and build it up nice,or save up till i can get something thats already built up decently and that dont need work but could be worked on,like get somthng nicer thats already pretty fast and if need be build that up to ones desires.So if people think the project is the way to go then share your opinions on what kind would be best in your opinion,if not then share what you think would be a nicer already halfway fast car price range 5k-10k or soo give or take.

Well lets see what everybody thinks:

If im not makin any sense leme know

07-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Cheapest cars to build that are worth it are 1st gen GSX's or TSI's. You can find 1st gen's around here already built for 3-4k.

Just my .02

S.A.J
07-03-2009, 11:41 AM
1st generation eclipse's? why 1st generation? aint thy from like 90-94 or 93 and the GSX is all wheel drive right? and the TSI i read yesterday in a thread here tht the parts for them is expensive :confused: idk though... so what 0-60 and 1/4mile times would you be lookin at with a GSX wth lets say a 16g turbo,boost controller,exhaust,intake and little things like that?or could you tell me what the ideal parts would be for that car and approx. how much moneys for them?

07-03-2009, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by S.A.J
1st generation eclipse's? why 1st generation? aint thy from like 90-94 or 93 and the GSX is all wheel drive right? and the TSI i read yesterday in a thread here tht the parts for them is expensive :confused: idk though... so what 0-60 and 1/4mile times would you be lookin at with a GSX wth lets say a 16g turbo,boost controller,exhaust,intake and little things like that?or could you tell me what the ideal parts would be for that car and approx. how much moneys for them? '

That's a 2nd gen Talon in that thread. The first gen's are very cheap to buy and mod. 2nd gen's are a whole different story. ;)
As far as mods it all depends on what you want.

eastside 400
07-03-2009, 11:52 AM
foxbody mustangs are really easy to find and are fairly cheap, parts are everywhere and tons of things you can do pretty easy, really light car for a V8 so you dont need crazy power to go fast

S.A.J
07-03-2009, 11:56 AM
Ohhh thats right i remember now too it was a newer one...Here i found this,sounds like a heck of a deal to me if theres really nothing wrong,i may call there see if he wants a dirtbike lol.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/1231201820.html

So a 16g turbo,boost controller,exhaust,intake,would that be a good start or would i need to do something to give it more fuel with them mods already?

Also i see many eclipse's with the throwout bearing bad,how big of a pain and how pricey is it to fix that yourself?

honduh440
07-03-2009, 11:57 AM
buy a import and run 17 second quarter miles spend 4 grand in mods and run 15 seconds ..... or just spend 4k on a mid 90s z28 camaro and be plenty fast without spending any extra cash

07-03-2009, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by honduh440
buy a import and run 17 second quarter miles spend 4 grand in mods and run 15 seconds ..... or just spend 4k on a mid 90s z28 camaro and be plenty fast without spending any extra cash

You obviously know nothing about imports... I myself love camaro's and own one myself, but my buddy's 2nd gen Talon would run high 10's in the 1/4 and he was only into it $4,600 including the $3,000 he bought the car for... My personal opinion is imports are passing up the domestics in the power to weight department... A Camaro may have 700 hp but it's only running low 11's high 10's, where I've seen a talon with 409 AWHP run high 10's... ?

S.A.J
07-03-2009, 12:11 PM
yeah i know about them foxbodys and thy dont look to bad to me either and stuff but you see im a die hard chevy fan always have been and i jst cant really picture myself driving a ford....but mayb if a good deal comes along i'll just have to lol

honduh440 i see were your coming from and i used to think the same also and if you own a small 4cylinder car without a turbo like lets say a stock civic or something like that(i got nothing against civics,jst an example)then yeah i can see were your coming from but i agree with Nova,plus we're talking here about turbo charged cars that already hav decent zip for what they are...

deathcorefan2
07-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Nova
You obviously know nothing about imports... I myself love camaro's and own one myself, but my buddy's 2nd gen Talon would run high 10's in the 1/4 and he was only into it $4,600 including the $3,000 he bought the car for... My personal opinion is imports are passing up the domestics in the power to weight department... A Camaro may have 700 hp but it's only running low 11's high 10's, where I've seen a talon with 409 AWHP run high 10's... ?

domestics will always own the strip man.

07-03-2009, 12:21 PM
of course because i'm the Honda guy I say get yourself in one of them. By far the easiest to build so many parts from other years and models are all interchangable and you can upgrade with stock parts off another vehicle. Affordable yeah its pretty cheap to make them go fast. For $10k you could have a 500HP car thats including the price of the car with all the power: windows, mirrors, locks, sunroof, steering, AC...lol Your saying straight line performance though so IDK. I know in the area there are several Civics running low 9's in the 1/4 mile. Quite a bit are running 10's.

S.A.J
07-03-2009, 12:28 PM
deathcorefan2-yeah sure they will but thats not what this topic is about,he was merely pionting out that some imports aint slow as many people think.

FlewByU352-i know what your saying is true...ive jst never been a big fan of civics like theyre looks but i think its real cool if some people do go all out on em and make em fast like that because alota people look down on them as being slow and seeing the surprised look on theyre face is priceless.

ZBlaster
07-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Foxbody. Cheappp to buy. Gut it, drop some change on the suspension, good set of tires, and then start on the motor. A good E cam, 1.6RR, good upper/lower intake, and a set of ported E7 (Stock) heads will net a pretty quick time with supporting mods and a good suspension. My buddies been running that budget setup for years now. I had a 4cyl Capri I bought way back when and put a mild 351W in, with a good suspension setup I was running low 11's for next to no $$$.

muddy400EX
07-03-2009, 01:10 PM
im a muscle fan, so i would say LT1 F-Body, get one for around $3-$4 grand. and theres tons of stuff you can do to it. mines stock besides CAI, throttle body bypass, and mufflers removed. and it hauls balls. oh ya, and its a blast to eat up the little ricers that think there a king:devil:

S.A.J
07-03-2009, 01:26 PM
I kinda like the Foxbody idea and the GSX...the idea of a small 4cyl. car and puting a v-8 in it has been gnawing on my mind for awhile now but aint it like a pain in the you know what with all the electronics like gauges and all that stuff?

And the geting an LT1 idkkk if i get a v-8 muscle car it prolly wont be a 93+camaro or firebird,for a budget project i think i like the idea of an older muscle car although i do like the newer camaros and firebirds etc... i like old school though if its building a budget v-8 muscle car...now if we're talking a 20k-40k budget :D then id be getting some newer stuff.

muddy400EX
07-03-2009, 01:39 PM
I kinda like the Foxbody idea and the GSX...the idea of a small 4cyl. car and puting a v-8 in it has been gnawing on my mind for awhile now but aint it like a pain in the you know what with all the electronics like gauges and all that stuff?

And the geting an LT1 idkkk if i get a v-8 muscle car it prolly wont be a 93+camaro or firebird,for a budget project i think i like the idea of an older muscle car although i do like the newer camaros and firebirds etc... i like old school though if its building a budget v-8 muscle car...now if we're talking a 20k-40k budget :D then id be getting some newer stuff.

ya i see what your sayin man, i love older cars to. my dream car is a 70 chevelle, but that would be way to expensive,lol! i paid $5 for my '94. put a couple bolt ons in it, and the only car in my town that has beaten me was a highly modified LT1 camaro,lol. but i dont mind losin to another f-bod:blah:

S.A.J
07-03-2009, 01:49 PM
yeah n another thing is you cant hardly get a good condition camaro 93+for 2k-3k,cause if id get a newer car like that then id be a whole lot pickier with the condition itd b in...but yeah if money wasnt an issue id prolly be driving a ZR1 or something like it,lol.

07-03-2009, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by deathcorefan2
domestics will always own the strip man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFyWYDEL9CY

S.A.J
07-03-2009, 02:45 PM
Lol wow id say thats quite fasttt!!!

JForestZ34
07-03-2009, 03:21 PM

On any import or muscle car I've seen or owned, I've never seen $1600 worth of mods put a car into the 10's except if its camaro or a vette that is close to the 10 second mark already...

I don't want to burst your bubble but a 2nd gen talon is good for a mid 14.5 sec run, and there is no way with only $1600 are you going all the way down to high 10's.

I forgot what the old addage is but if I remember correctly it takes a 100 horsepower to go one second quicker in the 1/4. Not sure if that's correct...

As for the 409AWHP I have yet to see a car go 10's even EVO's with 600HP are in the mid 11's

Sorry I just don't see this happening

I would look into getting an older foxbody mustang. They are really cheap to find and cost next to nothing to get them to rip on the track...

James

jesseweaver
07-03-2009, 03:38 PM
foxbody :macho

or if you wanna go fast for cheap, pick up a 1000cc crotch rocket like a early 2000s gixxer and do some stuff to it and your running 8s

S.A.J
07-03-2009, 03:45 PM
lol that would always work yup,lol.My parents wouldnt ever let me get one though i dont think...

But yeah im liking the way the foxbodys look more than the eclipse's but i still dont know about that blue little oval in the front....

Whats the milage like on a hopped up 5.0 thats still very streetable?

KevinAb
07-03-2009, 03:47 PM
Foxbody.

I like the imports too, I drag race a 72 Bug, but to make an import run in the 10's or 11's, they lose reliabilty. You'd be fixing or otherwise screwing with it constantly.

JForestZ34
07-03-2009, 04:06 PM
Honestly if the block is good on the mustang you can pretty much rebuild the engine for next to nothing. But for mileage wise I would say anything with less than 120,000 on it would be fine, but there are some things you would need to do to it before you start making power.. I would freshen up the bottem end and get some head work done.. After that the skies the limit.. But any high mileage motor don't even think about putting nitrous on it..

James

honduh440
07-03-2009, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by JForestZ34
On any import or muscle car I've seen or owned, I've never seen $1600 worth of mods put a car into the 10's except if its camaro or a vette that is close to the 10 second mark already...

I don't want to burst your bubble but a 2nd gen talon is good for a mid 14.5 sec run, and there is no way with only $1600 are you going all the way down to high 10's.

I forgot what the old addage is but if I remember correctly it takes a 100 horsepower to go one second quicker in the 1/4. Not sure if that's correct...

As for the 409AWHP I have yet to see a car go 10's even EVO's with 600HP are in the mid 11's

Sorry I just don't see this happening

I would look into getting an older foxbody mustang. They are really cheap to find and cost next to nothing to get them to rip on the track...

James

thats pretty much what i was gonna say .... hell you would spend way over 1600 in suspention just to handle a 10 second car ... but thats your stereotypical rice owner

i ask myself everyday when i see people driving these little girl cars.. how in the world does a grown man go to a dealership and walk out with that

WhiteZrider
07-03-2009, 04:48 PM
Get a v8 muscle car, none of that honda **** sounding like a weedwacker going down the track.

Go with a foxbody

mxtuner
07-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Try and find a 240sx and swap it out for a sr20det, rb series, or even a 350!

07-03-2009, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by WhiteZrider
Get a v8 muscle car, none of that honda **** sounding like a weedwacker going down the track.

just more of a reason I want to build a fast Honda. Do you honestly think they all sound like weed whackers? Yeah those POS fart cans and people who remove or gut the cat thinking its cool sound like a weed whacker but the cars that are actually fast or use quality parts sound nothing like that. Ever hear a NSX?

S.A.J
07-03-2009, 06:21 PM
Yeah so far the foxbody sounds like the way to go...I really dont wana get into doing a motor swap on anything though,doing somthing like that is just to much work and pain for what i wana get into now....

Now all i gota do is get over myself about the ford thing and start lookin for deals,unless somthing else nice and outa the ordinary cheap pops up...

If only chevy had some cheap to make fast and cheap to buy cars like the foxbodys...the 80's and early 90's camaro are just way to heavy and bulky and theyre pretty long...i had a 91 camaro project couple years ago,got rid of it though,to much work for me back then...

What kinda mods would be the first to come on a foxbody after headwork with a good block and good milage?Also which is a better platform an auto with shift kit or manual idk if it makes a dif but im jst if it jst depends on personal preference or what?

WhiteZrider
07-03-2009, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
just more of a reason I want to build a fast Honda. Do you honestly think they all sound like weed whackers? Yeah those POS fart cans and people who remove or gut the cat thinking its cool sound like a weed whacker but the cars that are actually fast or use quality parts sound nothing like that. Ever hear a NSX?
Yes

Wheelie
07-04-2009, 09:16 AM
Go with a Foxbody. A decent one can be had for about 2500. Even with the stock 2.73s, mid 14's are a piece of cake on a stock car. Gears and a few bolt on's will yield mid 13's. Throw on Explorer heads and intake and a TFS stg 1 (if you're on a budget) and you'll be in the 12's with any kind of traction.

If you can find a Notch for a decent price, BUY IT. They are very light. The last notch I had weighed 2980 w/ a full tank of gas. It didn't have A/C or PW, it was a factory no option car. It's not uncommon to have these cars weighing in at 2800-2900 w/driver.

Old Head
07-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by KevinAb
Foxbody.

I like the imports too, I drag race a 72 Bug, but to make an import run in the 10's or 11's, they lose reliabilty. You'd be fixing or otherwise screwing with it constantly.

hmm a guy at work had a honda civic at work that ran 11's and he drove it everyday. Thing sounded like a jet coming when it spooled up.

07-05-2009, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Old Head
hmm a guy at work had a honda civic at work that ran 11's and he drove it everyday. Thing sounded like a jet coming when it spooled up.

nice haha theres one at the local car show like that you hear it spooling even at low RPM. I'm going for a 12 second 1/4 mile street Civic. Start running 11's and they require so much more in your car for safety reasons if you ever take it to the track.

Wheelie
07-05-2009, 12:09 PM
nice haha theres one at the local car show like that you hear it spooling even at low RPM. I'm going for a 12 second 1/4 mile street Civic. Start running 11's and they require so much more in your car for safety reasons if you ever take it to the track.

The breakover point is 11.49 for hardtop cars.

07-05-2009, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Wheelie
The breakover point is 11.49 for hardtop cars.

its deffinately 11.99

quality safety harness. The minimum requirement is a 3-inch-wide, five-point harness meeting SFI spec 16.1.

roll bar, mild-steel tubing of at least .120-inch wall thickness, forward-running side bar from the main hoop past the driver' shoulder. This bar is only required on the driver’s side

so yeah rather not have to have all of that for a daily driver.

Old Head
07-05-2009, 01:30 PM
I don't think they say anything at atco raceway until you break into the 10's. maybe the rules are different in jersey. I don't know much about it.

Old Head
07-05-2009, 01:33 PM
my favorite car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba8xT8Tmfto

07-05-2009, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Old Head
I don't think they say anything at atco raceway until you break into the 10's. maybe the rules are different in jersey. I don't know much about it.

IDK they run very professional at the big tracks here and follow the rules. Every car is inspected. Orlando Speed World, Bradenton Motor Speedway, and Gainsville Raceway are seen on the show Pinks along with several of the fastest car videos on the net. All are about an hour drive each in a different direction. I have Gainsville to the North, Orlando to the East, and Bradenton to the South. Wish they would build one to the West because it would be super close theres not much land before you hit the Gulf from my house. I'm going to have to follow SCCA and NHRA rules which are similar atleast

Jigsaw
07-05-2009, 07:06 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ojB7KkaR03I&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ojB7KkaR03I&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

lonnie1977
07-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Please both crowds. Buy a first gen RX7 79-85 and drop in a SB Chevy 350. Its kind of old school. But it has been done alot. You used to be able to buy a bolt in kit for the motor but that was 10 years ago. 2nd gen RX7 turbo 88-91 are also very fast with a few mods. Hard part is finding one in good condition. But there all RWD.

07-05-2009, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Jigsaw
my new honda video

i love that video its hilarious! every time i watch it I still laugh and go around quoting it.

KevinAb
07-05-2009, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by lonnie1977
Please both crowds. Buy a first gen RX7 79-85 and drop in a SB Chevy 350. Its kind of old school. But it has been done alot. You used to be able to buy a bolt in kit for the motor but that was 10 years ago. 2nd gen RX7 turbo 88-91 are also very fast with a few mods. Hard part is finding one in good condition. But there all RWD.

My bro has been wanting to do an old Z build, 240 or 260z, same idea.

I used to have an '83 RX-7 back in the day. That car was a lot of fun, but if you ever lost the back end you be in for a spin.

07-05-2009, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by lonnie1977

Rotary = Fail

07-05-2009, 11:49 PM
Rotary = Fail

i agree now someone will be posting a fast one that sounds bad *** but they arent all that great i know 2 people that had them 1 had a twin turbo rx7 it looked and sounded bad *** but eh and the other had a rx8

hondariderdylan
07-06-2009, 07:56 AM
asking what the best route to build up a car is, would be the same as asking a primary school what everyones favorite cereal is

your gonna get different answers from everyone
the muscle guys are gonna throw mustangs,camaros,or WS6"s out there
the import guys are gonna yell eclipse,subaru,or 350Z

its a matter of opinion
if it was me i would get a mustang fox body, get a good suspension set up underneath it,a nice small block under the hood, a set of grippy tires, and go from there to suit your style of driving

just me:D

07-06-2009, 11:19 AM
So will this be a daily driver or strictly a track car?

S.A.J
07-07-2009, 09:03 PM
Sorry,aint been on in awhile...im looking for a foxbody but i aint got no money tree and the dirtbikes not selling yet and not many people is looking to trade but i think in a month or to the money situation should be looking up...As for daily driver or track car it wont visit the track often at all,mayb once every 2 or 3 months MAYB...it'll be a daily driver but prolly wont get driven alot,would like to make an ocasional trip to dallas to which is 2-3hours....
If i get my hands on one here soon id like to get heads,cam,and a intake with supporting mods and good traction setup in the not to far from now future...Mayb i should save abit and get one with all that on it already,cause i seen some for $3,500-$4,500 with lotsa good mods on them.... We shall see...

Thanks for the input guys

KevinAb
07-07-2009, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by hondariderdylan
asking what the best route to build up a car is, would be the same as asking a primary school what everyones favorite cereal is

your gonna get different answers from everyone
the muscle guys are gonna throw mustangs,camaros,or WS6"s out there
the import guys are gonna yell eclipse,subaru,or 350Z

its a matter of opinion
if it was me i would get a mustang fox body, get a good suspension set up underneath it,a nice small block under the hood, a set of grippy tires, and go from there to suit your style of driving

just me:D

Excellent post, I love the imports, and own one too. I love the muscle cars as well, classic and the late models.

Each has their own attributes, they can all be fast if you have the checkbook. But you still arrive at the same conclusion that fits the bill- "the easiest, most affordable car to build up and make fast" is........

The Mustang Foxbody.

hondariderdylan
07-08-2009, 05:15 AM
:cool:

S.A.J
07-08-2009, 02:18 PM
I came across another great deal and my still aint sold or this would prolly be mine...it seems to be set up mainly for drag racing but geting it more street friendly shouldnt be a problem,just swap a couple parts and add some... Anyway heres the link,pretty good deal huh?

http://easttexas.craigslist.org/cto/1259179679.html

And yes much as i dont like fords,or shall i now say some/most fords i must also admit that the foxbody best fits the description

"the easiest, most affordable car to build up and make fast"

fastredrider44
07-08-2009, 03:46 PM
I just read this thread for the first time. Pretty funny. I don't believe some of y'all. 9 seconds civics cruising the street? Come on. I don't think so. And that car Nova posted up on the video. I'm not sure if you noticed, but that's a looooong way from being a budget car or a street worthy car.

My vote for the budget, quick car is a LT1 Firebird, Trans-am, or Camaro. 2nd choice is a foxbody. 3rd choice is a 3rd gen Camaro. After that, then go buy a tuner, but don't expect to be able to leave just anything at a stop light. There are plenty of diesel trucks running around that have no problem stomping civics with fart cans and turbos.

extremeblastr
07-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
I just read this thread for the first time. Pretty funny. I don't believe some of y'all. 9 seconds civics cruising the street? Come on. I don't think so. And that car Nova posted up on the video. I'm not sure if you noticed, but that's a looooong way from being a budget car or a street worthy car.

My vote for the budget, quick car is a LT1 Firebird, Trans-am, or Camaro. 2nd choice is a foxbody. 3rd choice is a 3rd gen Camaro. After that, then go buy a tuner, but don't expect to be able to leave just anything at a stop light. There are plenty of diesel trucks running around that have no problem stomping civics with fart cans and turbos.

well judging by your post i'm going to venture to guess that you know jack squat about tuner engines and capabilities, therefore do not speak badly about them. i have several friends who own daily driver imports that have no issue running under 11. one of which is hatch with a timeslip to prove a 9.53 in the quarter

fastredrider44
07-08-2009, 04:15 PM
I went to college with a guy that had a civic hatchback that he could break into the high nines with, and he drove it 30 miles one way to school and back everyday. But the thing was the changes he made to his car at the track that he didn't run on the street. Go ahead, hate me for disliking punks that think their car is fast, but they need to know when to quit.

Jigsaw
07-08-2009, 04:27 PM
Im a huge mustang fan boy, but dollar wise the LSx motors are your best bang for the buck

hondariderdylan
07-08-2009, 05:17 PM
my views on the import vs. domestic thing:

Imports, not something i would drive unless it was a skyline,s2000,evo, WRX ,etc. The civics,fits,and the other lesser imports dont belong, ecpecially with a driver who thinks he is hot Chit. just becuase you have a set of rims that cost 4 grand with a fart can and intake does not mean that your car is insane and can whoop anyone

Domestics, more my style although some can still suffer from dumbasses that drive them. I once saw a video where a bolt on ls1 camaro pulled up next to a built 04 cobra and a built firebird at a stop light and proceeded to talk chit. he got stomped

bottom line,pick what you like and dont talk chit unless you can back it up:)

extremeblastr
07-08-2009, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by hondariderdylan
bottom line,pick what you like and dont talk chit unless you can back it up:)

or called for, toss that in there and you get an amen lol

S.A.J
07-08-2009, 06:05 PM
One thing you overlooked fastredrider44 is that i asked what the "most affordable car" i agree camaro's,firebirds and them lt1/ls1 cars are realll nice and not very hard to make fast BUT i already knew that but i aint got 4k-5k siting around to get one thats still in good shape and everythng works and thats why i said ''most affordable'' which i also meant as in cheapest to buy which ive seen a number of nice foxbodys that needed very very minor work for as low as $1,500 and for $3,500 you can get a reallll nice one were you could never get a nice hoped up camaro or firebird or something like that for that price.

hondariderdylan
07-09-2009, 05:29 AM
hell, im still waiting for my aunt to puke up her 93 LX coupe that she never drives anymore

i have dreams for that car:D

fastredrider44
07-09-2009, 08:00 AM
One thing you overlooked fastredrider44 is that i asked what the "most affordable car"

Naw, I caught that part. There are deals around, you just have to be patient. And about the import thing. I decided if I were to look for one, it would have to be AWD. :D

But yes, foxbodys are plentiful, and you can get one needing a little work for real cheap.

FLmxR911
07-09-2009, 01:11 PM
Find a ls1 car. You can't go wrong I did the import thing in highschool. Honestly imports are more money then their worth. I had a 300zx TT was a badass car but if you need sombody to work on it good luck.

you can find a ls1 T/A or camaro for around 3.5-5g's
you'll be in the 13 second range from there. Bang for the buck you cant beat the ls1 bolt on power.

to do it all over again I woulda hopped straight into a Ls1 instead of the imports I owned and saved myself alot of headache and money.

And to show im not fully a import hater my current setup =P

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c89/tt300zx/240/pewp3.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c89/tt300zx/240/pewp7.jpg

ezdaar
07-09-2009, 01:37 PM

OMG your so full of sheet! I OWN a 96 TSI, and can tell you there is NOWAY IN HELL a 4600$ car will run 10's! mutch less 11's!

You want to know about DSM's go to www.dsmtuners.com
and spend a couple days reading the forums.
while you are there go to the timeslip section and look at various guys cars and the mods done to them.

You do NOT want a DSM for a DD that does anything better than 12's! unless you like to spend TONS of cash on maintenance and are VERY mechanically capable!

You CANNOT just drop a turbo and boost controller on these cars WITHOUT Major tuning and supporting mods. If you do get ready to blow it up. I see ppl that think that way EVERY DAY asking me why this and that happend.

You want a cheap realiable and decently fast car. there are ONLY 2 choices a camero or mustang.

And good luck getting into the 12's without dropping atleast 4k into the engine. and another 3k into suspension mods to do it with out blowing up the car or crashing it!

Obviously you have NO idea what you want. Soo.... I recommend you go to the local tracks and watch and talk for a couple weeks to get a IDEA on what you really want.

fastredrider44
07-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by FLmxR911

That's sweet. Lotta motor for that car.:devil:

muddy400EX
07-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Find a ls1 car. You can't go wrong I did the import thing in highschool. Honestly imports are more money then their worth. I had a 300zx TT was a badass car but if you need sombody to work on it good luck.

you can find a ls1 T/A or camaro for around 3.5-5g's
you'll be in the 13 second range from there. Bang for the buck you cant beat the ls1 bolt on power.

to do it all over again I woulda hopped straight into a Ls1 instead of the imports I owned and saved myself alot of headache and money.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c89/tt300zx/240/pewp7.jpg

do you mean LT1 cars? 3.5 g's is cheap for an ls1!:eek2:

extremeblastr
07-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by muddy400EX
do you mean LT1 cars? 3.5 g's is cheap for an ls1!:eek2:

thats what they're going for around here with a 100k+ miles on em....

07-09-2009, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by ezdaar
You do NOT want a DSM for a DD that does anything better than 12's! unless you like to spend TONS of cash on maintenance and are VERY mechanically capable!

You CANNOT just drop a turbo and boost controller on these cars WITHOUT Major tuning and supporting mods. If you do get ready to blow it up. I see ppl that think that way EVERY DAY asking me why this and that happend.

IMO DSM = FAIL seriously crank walk and just over all not that great it takes a lot of cash to make them reliable.

nice car BTW, Honda's I think are easier to find help for at least in the Tampa Bay area. Theres more Honda owners and parts than any other brand. If I needed any part at all for my car even wiring or random bolts I could find it tonight from someone in the area without a problem and there are plenty of shops and people that know their stuff. However there is also a portion of the Honda/Acura crowd that sport the ricer look and probally couldnt change a spark plug. Thank Advance Auto for their stick on parts and off the shelf crap. I saw wrecked GSR the other day with a 5" + tip exhaust! the muffler portion/can no lie had to be 10" diameter. It was the biggest single fart can I have ever seen. I've seen twin tip 5" exhaust on a Saturn. what is it whoever has the biggest exhaust wins?

extremeblastr
07-09-2009, 11:49 PM
Thank Advance Auto for their stick on parts and off the shelf crap. I saw wrecked GSR the other day with a 5" + tip exhaust! the muffler portion/can no lie had to be 10" diameter. It was the biggest single fart can I have ever seen. I've seen twin tip 5" exhaust on a Saturn. what is it whoever has the biggest exhaust wins?

try a measured set of dual 7 inchers on a cavalier that had so much body crap on it i would of sworn it was a riced celica til i got close enough to actually see the original lines.

on the other hand though the guy parked next to him had a clean enough to eat off of 240 with a red top sr in it

fastredrider44
07-10-2009, 11:02 AM
Thank Advance Auto for their stick on parts and off the shelf crap.

Cha-Ching! You said it buddy.

S.A.J
07-10-2009, 06:20 PM
I think i'll wait till i sell my dirtbike,then save up till i got mayb about 3k cause for that i can get a 12sec mustang with the drivetrain work done already...i saw one forsale for $2,500 i think it was,it did 12sec on street tires and he didnt seem firm on the price either...i think that would be my best best and then all i gota worry about is making it pretty....but by then mayb something else will have caught my eye...i guess you really never know till you got money in hand ready to buy....we shall find out though...i once had a chance to trade my 400ex for a 280z with a midly moded lt1 in it,that thing was freakeennnn fast but my dumbbutt didnt have patience so i passed it up,i still regret it...
Also FLmxR911 your car is sick!!!