PDA

View Full Version : is it really all you do?????? alcohol setup

JOHNDOE83
07-03-2009, 10:17 AM
ive done "some" research and suposedly just drilling out the main jet is all you have to do to make your 400ex run on alcohol. i might be willing to do this but i need more input on what exactly needs to be done and what the outcome other then just running cooler that going alcohol has to offer.

sc400ex_rider
07-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
ive done "some" research and suposedly just drilling out the main jet is all you have to do to make your 400ex run on alcohol. i might be willing to do this but i need more input on what exactly needs to be done and what the outcome other then just running cooler that going alcohol has to offer.

YEP thats it. Just rejet about +25%

jcs003
07-03-2009, 11:34 AM
are you running a drag set-up?

flyboy1294
07-03-2009, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83

What would be the advantages to running on alcohol? I know it would burn cooler, but I'm still curious...

jcs003
07-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by flyboy1294
What would be the advantages to running on alcohol? I know it would burn cooler, but I'm still curious...

it wont burn cooler. it will burn faster. alcohol is not quite like race fuels. it evaporates faster so it will atomize faster. this is why they are used in a drag set-up for short high RPM runs and not distance racing.

ethonal is a different story...

flyboy1294
07-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by jcs003
it wont burn cooler. it will burn faster. alcohol is not quite like race fuels. it evaporates faster so it will atomize faster. this is why they are used in a drag set-up for short high RPM runs and not distance racing.

ethonal is a different story...

Oh ok. That definitely makes sense. I wonder where a guy would buy alcohol for fuel?

haha trust me I've heard alot of stories about ethanol.

jcs003
07-03-2009, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by flyboy1294
Oh ok. That definitely makes sense. I wonder where a guy would buy alcohol for fuel?

haha trust me I've heard alot of stories about ethanol.

you can buy ot in different quantities, and have it shipped.

there is a guy on here, cant recall his name. this guy knows his fuels and set-ups. maybe he is a salesman or something. try the search about, "fuels' and maybe his name will pop up. he helped a few guys with the ethanol bikes...

uchi
07-03-2009, 01:12 PM
has anyone ever considered running a meth injection setup? i ran one in my turbo car, made it run cooler, was safer at leaner air fuel ratios aswell. its cheap to run, a few bucks buys a gallon and a gallon would last me 3 or 4 months of hard driving.

Honda#4
07-03-2009, 04:47 PM
I've heard that some drag guys cool down there gas in a cooler before they drag to get more oxygen in the gas they said around a 2-4hp increase.

Wheelie
07-03-2009, 09:55 PM
There are 2 types of alcohol fuels, Methanol, or wood grain alcohol and Ethanol, which is derived from corn, grain, sugar cane, and it's a byproduct of distilling beer.

Methanol is very corrosive and will require nearly twice as much fuel as gasoline. Do NOT run methanol in anything but a drag machine.

Ethanol is only slightly more corrosive than gasoline, but not enough to cause issues with fuel lines, carbs, or engines. It's actually safe to use in a day to day machine IMO. It requires about 25% more fuel than gasoline when running E85.

E85 is 105 octane and can be purchased out of the gas pump at select fuel stations.

I've been running E85 for several months with great results. It burns cleaner than gasoline, it's cheaper than race gas, and smells killer. It also makes 5-10% more power than gasoline. It also has 2.5 time the latent heat vaporization of gasoline, which means it cools the engine much better, it also burns at a lower temperature.

One more note about E85. Despite the cooling properties of the fuel, it requires a cooler spark plug. It's slightly harder to ignite than gasoline, but it has a slightly faster flame front--meaning it burns faster, and more completely.

droppedmazda
07-04-2009, 02:42 AM
alcohol does burn cooler than gas. it has no oil in it so you might want to run some type of top end lube to it. it takes 1.7 gallons to run as much as every 1 gallon of gas so a 25% increase on the main will not work. we are paying about $2 a gallon for it so its pretty affordable but you have to purge all the alcohol out of the motor with gas because alchol atracts water and will rust the inside of your motor. you can expect about a 3-5% increase in power and i would say ethanol is probably about the same. i cant see getting 5-10% from fuel alone on a 4 stroke.

uchi
07-04-2009, 05:58 AM
methanol is corrosive but wont damage your engine. there are thousands of turbo and supercharged street cars running meth injection. it only activates at a certain rpm and a certain boost level when setup properly. this debate has been going on forever. and every engine builder whos torn down a meth assisted motor has never seen damage from meth injection. it comes out in a mist so its not a stream. the same injection system can also inject distilled water. its all about combustion chamber cooling. meth injection kits are also used in place of intercoolers. on that token it can be used in a naturally aspirated setup aswell. there are high comp motors running the stuff for cooling and for the added octane that the meth provides.

just as an example, on a turbo car, a 4 cylinder turbo car. the average gain is 20 hp to the ground. just by running meth injection. you can run more timing and more boost in hotter temps and still be safe. as long as you set it up proplery on a quad it should be fine. jsut make sure you run the right nossle for it to not soak the motor :)

also for oxygen in fuel, you can buy oxygen enriched fuels. i used to work with a guy who ran it in his dirt track car for a little more go. said it worked pretty good.

droppedmazda
07-05-2009, 10:58 AM
methanol injection is a little different than running methanol as your primary fuel. alcohol is very corrosive when your running it as a primary fuel. when you are running it to come in at a certian rpm you are still starting with gas and ending with gas, so you are burning all of the alcohol out of the motor. if you want to run alcohol you have to run gas through the motor to get all the alcohol out. we just tore a motor down that was on alcohol that was never purged properly and everything inside was rusted.

Wheelie
07-05-2009, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by droppedmazda
methanol injection is a little different than running methanol as your primary fuel. alcohol is very corrosive when your running it as a primary fuel. when you are running it to come in at a certian rpm you are still starting with gas and ending with gas, so you are burning all of the alcohol out of the motor. if you want to run alcohol you have to run gas through the motor to get all the alcohol out. we just tore a motor down that was on alcohol that was never purged properly and everything inside was rusted.

Exactly. As I stated before, Methanol is not a good daily use fuel. Ethanol, however, is.

Most people don't seem to understand that there are 2 alcohol fuels with two very different properties.

Ethanol and Methanol each have different energy values (60k btu's for Meth, approx 80-85k btu's for Ethanol), one is HIGHLY corrosive, the other is not, one requires a special fuel system, the other does not, and the list goes on.

When someone asks questions about Alcohol as a fuel, they need to know which alcohol they are talking about.

TripleBanshee
07-05-2009, 05:48 PM
what size jets are you using to run a four stroke single on Alky???
i used to run a bashee on it but am new to the 4 stroke world. I am looking to build a dirt drag 4 stroke. I have a 426ex and like the sound of running alky. any help would be great.
As for purgeing the motor after running, my brother never purged his banshee and that damn thing rusted from the inside out.

uchi
07-05-2009, 05:57 PM
This sounds a lot like running a diesel on vegetable oil. You need to clean the lines of the oil with diesel otherwise you risk having them turn to gell inside. Or something crazy like that.

Originally posted by TripleBanshee
i used to run a bashee on it but am new to the 4 stroke world. I am looking to build a dirt drag 4 stroke. I have a 426ex and like the sound of running alky. any help would be great.
As for purgeing the motor after running, my brother never purged his banshee and that damn thing rusted from the inside out.

Wheelie
07-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by TripleBanshee

If you want to run a drag 4-stroke on alcohol, look into E85. It won't damage your engine, the banshee you're talking about was run on Methanol.

E85 has several benefits: it's cheap, you can buy it out of the pump like gasoline, it add 5-10% power, runs cooler, and it's 105 octane. All this without any of the negative side effects experienced by running Methanol.